DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   New Canon Camcorder Line - Dual Flash Recording?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/111671-new-canon-camcorder-line-dual-flash-recording.html)

David Parks January 5th, 2008 11:29 AM

New Canon Camcorder Line - Dual Flash Recording??

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/05/c...d-f511-camcor/

FYI...

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2008 11:36 AM

How about that... Engadget scoops everybody else by posting a snapshot from the CES show floor during booth setup, prior to the start of the event. Well, I can tell you that there's an embargo on all of this stuff until Canon announces everything on Monday (standard operating procedure, it's like this for every major show, CES, PMA, NAB etc.). As soon as their press releases go live, I'll have all of this for you right here on DV Info Net: images, specs, feature sets etc. and much more.

David Parks January 5th, 2008 11:49 AM

Chris,

Engadget may have the scoop, and no real details. But in the end I always rely on DVInfo for the reliable and real news/info. It is good that you keep the trust and stick to your embargo agreements. That level of trust may allow you access to the real nitty gritty important specs and details that the some other guys don't really cover and can't becuse of scoop stunts.

Thanks for being ethical. I just happened to stumble on this.

Can't wait to see the real detailed info here.

David

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2008 11:59 AM

What amazes me is the level of access some of these entities get *despite* their stunts... and I'm not singling out Engadget, they're not alone by a long shot. But what I've found is that the more sensationalist the source is, the more likely that they get the details wrong, and I find a certain statisfaction in that because we make a point of getting it right here at DV Info Net.

I'm glad you posted this, David... but my jaw dropped a little at the simplicity of the scoop... someone from Engadget has access to an Exhibitor's badge and gets in to the show floor during setup, walks by the booth and snaps this photo. What I want to know is... where are the photos of other booths? Canon ain't the only one exhibiting during CES...

Ocean Zen January 5th, 2008 02:25 PM

I've been waiting to hear something about a Canon HV30 or similar.

I need to get an HV20 this month but if the specs look good on these, and they are out soon I may get one.

If they do use AVCHD I hope they take advantage of the full 24Mbps. As from what I've read most AVCHD only does 12-15 Mbps and you can still see artefacts after compression

At least the HV20 may drop in price a little after Monday (even though it's already a great deal)

Ethan Cooper January 5th, 2008 02:51 PM

I just bought an HV20... should be getting here early next week.

Oh well, that's technology.

How's the old adage go? One in the hand...

... better than 3 in the booth?

Steve Nunez January 5th, 2008 03:04 PM

I knew Canon was gonna come out with something like this- or I should say I was "hoping" they would!
Very interested!!!!!!!

Chris Barcellos January 5th, 2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 803219)
I just bought an HV20... should be getting here early next week.

Oh well, that's technology.

How's the old adage go? One in the hand...

... better than 3 in the booth?

I'm guessing, like the HG10, these cameras (at least consumer level ones like HV20) will not be as amenable to manipulation as the HV20. I hope I am wrong....

Paulo Teixeira January 5th, 2008 04:47 PM

Having a built-in flash drive and a removable memory card slot is a good idea if I do say so myself.
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...523#post625523

David Parks January 5th, 2008 05:01 PM

Paulo,
You're a man ahead of his time.

I think we're seeing the end of tape for consumer camcorders.

Cheers.

Paulo Teixeira January 5th, 2008 05:37 PM

It even looks like Sony took one of my ideas as well when I said Panasonic should get rid of the tape drive and increase the size of the imagers.

What I want every company to do is replace all of their mini-DVD HD camcorders with Blu-Ray and replace all of the HD hard-drive camcorders with flash this year.

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2008 05:58 PM

Dual media recording to both internal flash memory and a removeable SD card is brilliant and long overdue, I only wish they had done it sooner, and this is a feature I wish Canon would have implemented on their PowerShot digital still cameras long ago. I can't tell you how many times I've been with friends who have taken a great shot on their cameras, with no way to share it with anyone else without having a laptop handy... and who carries a laptop when you're partying in some club in Vegas at 3am. The obvious benefit of dual memory is immediate file sharing, and saying goodbye forever to the old reply of "I'll email it to ya later," which as we all know doesn't happen nearly as often as it should.

Now if only Canon would bring their Elph cameras up to date with dual memory... but there's always PMA, happening a month after CES, so we'll see what happens.

Harrison Murchison January 5th, 2008 05:58 PM

I'm not not interested in any consumer optical Camcorder. Flash is enticing because of the lack of moving parts, battery savings and no laser to worry about and much smaller size.

Looking at the SDHC cards they are dropping in price rather quickly and in a year or two a 16GB card should be under a c-note.

Hmmmm makes me wonder if Canon's Pro and Prosumer lines will eventually move to some sort of carriage like the P2 where you can hold 4-6 SDHC cards for maximum storage and maybe even some redundancy of data.

The future is certainly Flash. With SSD poised to take over the laptop segment in the next half decade this will spill over into our segment.

Somebody pop the champagne...the democratization of Video Production is underway and gaining momentum.

Chris Hurd January 5th, 2008 06:13 PM

Agreed. Can't say for sure because I really don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if Canon's HG10 is the only consumer hard drive camcorder they ever produce. Internal flash memory recording is superior to fragile hard drives, I just hope they move quickly on taking these improvements to their pro line HD camcorders very soon.

Steve Nunez January 5th, 2008 06:25 PM

To really make these media card camcorders appealing- the manufacturers should allow for user selectable codecs or bit rates so that advanced users could specify codecs or bit rates they want while allowing the consumer market to default to AVCHD or whatever spec is available for "long time" recording.
HDV was really good as it quickly became editable across platform with relatively good performance- but since it's a "Tape" based spec there were no camcorders that could record to that spec other than tape based cameras.

Give us "Selectable Codec/Bit rates" and everyone will be pleased!!!!!

Can't wait to see what Canon brings to the table with these new camcorders!!!