HV20 vs Sony's EX1.. HV20 footage still looks better IMO - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #31
Major Player

Glenn Thomas,

I am glad you like the clips! And which clip you like most if you can tell me!

Thanks,
Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Thomas View Post
Robert, yes, exactly my point. It's funny, I downloaded a few 1080P still frames a guy had shot using one of the new Panasonic HPX500 cameras. Once again, I was not at all impressed. They looked like 720P (or smaller) sized jpegs that had been resized to 1080P. Quite a lot of noise too. Now that thing's even more expensive than the EX2 and normally comes with a nice Fujinon lens. It just seems like a waste.
Gah! That's not what I wanted to hear. I want a good alternative - something I can rent that *is* clearly better than the HV20. I helped with a short recently, with footage from the HVX200 - yes, decent low light, but it wasn't that sharp or clean. And there was an artificial feel to it too, but I can't explain what.

Question: what camera above $13k under $30k does trounce the HV20's image in ideal situations, hands down?
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #33
Major Player

I love my lil' HV20. With it I'm making films instead of saving money for a camera ... BUT ... there's not a single objective PQ measurement in which the EX1 isn't better (that I'm aware of.) To me, it's next nearest competitor is the Red One.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:25 AM   #34
Major Player

Kaushik, there's a sunset clip with a kind of red sky. I like that one.

Robert, I'd still consider the XHA1. I know it's not a progressive camera and may not quite match the dynamic range of the EX1, but most of the footage I've seen looks quite impressive, especially when it's teamed up with a decent 35mm adapter. No serious noise issues, great low light performance. I'm also impressed by the Silicon Imaging SI2K. The gui especially. The support for Nikon lenses, PL and so on, and all clips are captured using the Cineform codec. The Red looks good too, but could end up being quite pricey once you add a few of the essential options.

The image quality from the HPX500 would probably be similar to the HVX200. From what I've read the sensors don't offer any additional resolution. Although they are 2/3" with a better lens.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders