VIXIA HV30 announced -- pics - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 16th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Parenti View Post
Is there any way to get 30p out the HV20 using 60i mode??

If so how, I'm assuming post processing???

You can use this program to get 30P or 60P

Fieldkit...

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/fieldskit/
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #62
Major Player

I'd have to agree with Euisung Lee. Looks like a really big statement from Canon saying "We will not revolutionize, just slowly evolve". Canon says "We are not RED". lol

A shame. I really was looking forward to seeing what they could have brought us for the second time around given their first attempt brought us the beaut HV20.
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #63
Major Player

Is the HV30 a 720 or 1080 (squished) camera? If it's 1080 (squished), is this giving us 1080/30p (as well as 24p)?

Going out of the country in late March and definitely buying either the HV20 or HV30 for the trip. I do hope the HV30 is available at that point.
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Would it be as simple as a firmware update for the HV20 to do 30p?? Doubt it would happen though.
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #65
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Jenkins View Post
Is the HV30 a 720 or 1080 (squished) camera? If it's 1080 (squished), is this giving us 1080/30p (as well as 24p)?

Going out of the country in late March and definitely buying either the HV20 or HV30 for the trip. I do hope the HV30 is available at that point.
I'm not sure what you mean by "1080 (squished)." If you are referring to the 1440 x 1080 aspect ratio, that is the HDV standard and any HDV camera, including the HV30, will have it -- no HDV camera is 1920 x 1080, nor could it be.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tauger View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "1080 (squished)." If you are referring to the 1440 x 1080 aspect ratio, that is the HDV standard and any HDV camera, including the HV30, will have it -- no HDV camera is 1920 x 1080, nor could it be.
That's what I mean - 1440 (squished - i knew something was squished PAR wise). My previous HDV experience is only 720p with the JVC HD1/0 cams, not to mention I've been out of the HDV world for a while - not up to date with my terms.
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #67
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tauger View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are using aspect ratio and pixel count interchangeably, when they shouldn't be.

If I understand correctly, HDV uses rectangular pixels, not square. They are more wide than they are tall. So while HDV has a 1440 by 1080 pixel count, it indeed has an aspect ratio of 1920 by 1080, i.e. 16:9. If this were not the case, it would have an aspect ratio of 4 by 3.

This may seem like splitting hairs, but if it's not clear, it can lead to some confusions down the road. At least for me it has. ;)
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM   #68
Tourist

Full featured wired remote for these cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A. Diaz View Post
They missed the Lanc control again, and the 24P pulldown conversion I'm very happy with my HV-10 and HV-20.
I'll pass on the HV-30 if that is all they are offering.

Luis
Yes ... We need a wired full featured remote for these cameras. I was extremely disapointed when Canon gave up the Lanc connection. I was using this commection for remote and helmet mouted camera work and I wanted to carry this on with the HV20 but no luck. When you attach a camera to the side of a helicopter, truck or motercycle. You expect there may me some risk. This is palitable with a $1,000.00 camera but make you think twice when using your $4,000.00 or $8,000.00 camera. Also the more expensive cameras are quite large and won't work in all the places you can mount the HV20. I would pay good money for a wired remote controller for the HV20. I heard somwhere that there was a firewire version of a controller in the works but have not heard since. It seems this might be possible as the XLH1 is controllable via Firewire using the Canon Console software. How about something for the smaller siblings in the family?
Frank Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #69
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tucker View Post
Yes ... We need a wired full featured remote for these cameras. I was extremely disapointed when Canon gave up the Lanc connection. I was using this commection for remote and helmet mouted camera work and I wanted to carry this on with the HV20 but no luck. When you attach a camera to the side of a helicopter, truck or motercycle. You expect there may me some risk. This is palitable with a $1,000.00 camera but make you think twice when using your $4,000.00 or $8,000.00 camera. Also the more expensive cameras are quite large and won't work in all the places you can mount the HV20. I would pay good money for a wired remote controller for the HV20. I heard somwhere that there was a firewire version of a controller in the works but have not heard since. It seems this might be possible as the XLH1 is controllable via Firewire using the Canon Console software. How about something for the smaller siblings in the family?
If you are that serious about getting a LANC, you could probably hire a EE student to mod a camera to extend the record button, or do it yourself if you have ever soldered anything, I doubt its that hard, it could probably be done in less than an hour.

Or a solution with off the shelf components, get a learning IR remote which has a powerful IR blaster. Or get a wireless IR recv/transmitter to pipe the IR from where you are to where the camera is.

Last edited by James Blunt; January 25th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.
James Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #70
Inner Circle

...not THE James Blunt?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #71
New Boot

Full HD on Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher View Post
According to Canon's own press release on the HV20...

Just because it captures 1920 doesn't mean that it writes it all to tape. If the HV30 is HDV then it will be recording 1440 to tape no matter how a press release plays with words.
I'm hoping some one could explain something I can't seem to find answered. I'm looking to get a couple consumer cameras and later a prosumer camera that can work with the consumers. I want to go HD but was trying to stay with tape. What' the difference between 1920 and 1440? Are they both HD? Should I go the Sony way? Just wondering what camera does shoot full HD on a consumer level, and in what format. We're talking HV30 on tape but knocking it down to 1440. Is that bad?
Dustin Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #72
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Whitaker View Post
What' the difference between 1920 and 1440?
The 1920 has more detail, all else being equal.

Quote:
Are they both HD?
Yes. But be aware that HD is a very vague term, thanks to marketing.

Quote:
Just wondering what camera does shoot full HD on a consumer level, and in what format.
Quality is what matters, not the format. Having a full HD sensor (1920x1080) is only one part of the equation. How the encoder handles dark areas, noise, motion, and how well it utilizes the available bandwidth can have a huge impact on quality. Consider the resolution of the lens at the focal lengths you'll use (e.g. most cheap cameras get soft at the telephoto end).
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #73
Major Player

Dilemma

Oh, the agony! Looks like my XH-A1 needs to visit the service centre, so that'll probably be away best part of a month, but I still need to capture HDV into my NLE and do a bit of shooting while it's away. "No problem" I thought, "get an HV20". Seems it's not so simple ATM. Do I:
a) get an HV20 now?
b) wait for the HV30 to appear in the UK?
c) wait a little longer for the price to drop a little?
d) try to get one of the last HV20s at a bargin price once the HV30 is around?

If the HV30 had a LANC socket I'd gladly pay a little extra. What a shame it doesn't. Failing that, if the zoom control is much easier to use on the new model, then maybe it's worth it. I don't suppose anyone who knows the HV20 has got their hands on an HV30 yet, have they?
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #74
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
If the HV30 had a LANC socket I'd gladly pay a little extra. What a shame it doesn't.
But that should come as no surprise. Canon hasn't had LANC on a consumer camcorder for years, and it's not likely to ever come back.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #75
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
...1920 and 1440? Are they both HD?
Yes they are both HD.

Quote:
We're talking HV30 on tape but knocking it down to 1440. Is that bad?
No, in fact it's *exactly* how the most popular HD format in the world for High Definition broadcast masters (Sony HDCAM) does it: 1080 x 1440.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders