HV20: 35mm equiv. of 10X zoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #1
New Boot

HV20: 35mm equiv. of 10X zoom

I have recently ordered a Canon HV20 because of the high ratings it has, but to increase the zoom range, I have also ordered a Canon 1.7X lens extender. I am surprised that this is the only extender that Canon offers for this model, and that it has no front filter for either filters or a lens hood.

It is also difficult to find 35mm focal length equivalents for camcorder lenses.
e.g. What is the 35mm equivalent of the HV20 10X zoom?

With pro camcorders with interchangeable lenses, what lenses are available that are over 20X? e.g. What do wildlife photographers use?
Tony Markle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

43mm to 435 approx according to the manual.
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Markle View Post
With pro camcorders with interchangeable lenses, what lenses are available that are over 20X? e.g. What do wildlife photographers use?
On a recent job, we rented two long lenses. I think they were 86x and 75x. http://www.canon.com/bctv/products/index_box.html You wouldn't want to use these for wildlife though--probably weigh about 50-80 lbs. You don't mount the lens to the camera--you support the lens and attach the camera to it!
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Tony I've had good results with my extender for wildlife. The range isn't too shabby and the picture is fantastic. The biggest drawback of the extender is not the range but the amount of range; when you zoom back you see the sides of the lens about half way through so zooming out presents some problems.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
43mm to 435 approx according to the manual.
Thanks. Not quite as long as I would like.

Tony
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
On a recent job, we rented two long lenses. I think they were 86x and 75x. http://www.canon.com/bctv/products/index_box.html You wouldn't want to use these for wildlife though--probably weigh about 50-80 lbs. You don't mount the lens to the camera--you support the lens and attach the camera to it!
Thanks. Yes, those are something that a movie crew would probably use.

Tony
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Buys View Post
Tony I've had good results with my extender for wildlife. The range isn't too shabby and the picture is fantastic. The biggest drawback of the extender is not the range but the amount of range; when you zoom back you see the sides of the lens about half way through so zooming out presents some problems.
Thanks, Matt. Good to hear you get great quality with that combo. I guess with the 1.7X, that would give me the 35mm equivalent of about 740mm. I would still like more reach, so may try a 3X extender made by a different company some day.

I'm not too worried about vignetting in the lower range, since I would only be using the extender in the upper range.
Tony
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Major Player

Is there a 3x extender out there for the HV20? I would love to pick one up even if it's so-so quality.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Buys View Post
Is there a 3x extender out there for the HV20? I would love to pick one up even if it's so-so quality.
Raynox makes one, but I don't know what the quality is like. My other concern would be how adapter rings would affect image quality, since you are increasing the distance between the extender and the front of your lens. With the Canon extender, that distance is fixed and designed specifically for a 43mm front thread.

Also, if I had to use an extender and adapter rings, I would want to be stepping down in size, not stepping up in size. Stepping up would cause even more vignetting.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...efinition.html

Tony
Tony Markle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders