DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Downloading still images (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/112729-downloading-still-images.html)

Tony Markle January 19th, 2008 01:53 PM

Downloading still images

The HV20 Manual states: Users of Mac OS X: Your camcorder is equipped with the standard Picture Transfer Protocol allowing you to download still images simply by connecting the camcorder to a computer using the USB cable without installing the software from the supplied software CD-ROM.

I have made this connection and the display shows "PC CONNECT", but I see no icon on my desktop for the camcorder nor does pushing any buttons on the camcorder seem to do anything.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Tony

Kelly OHara January 19th, 2008 11:02 PM

Did you switch the camera mode to SD card mode (same mode for just taking pictures)? It won't transfer pictures with iPhoto unless you do. Also, you might have to run iPhoto if you have disabled it to run automatically when a still camera is hooked up.

Colin McDonald January 20th, 2008 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly OHara (Post 811110)
Did you switch the camera mode to SD card mode (same mode for just taking pictures)? It won't transfer pictures with iPhoto unless you do. Also, you might have to run iPhoto if you have disabled it to run automatically when a still camera is hooked up.

You can also use GraphicConverter to import stills or the utility "Image Capture.app". Or just drag them in the Finder when you see the card icon.
Depending on what you are doing, iPhoto can try to be too helpful.

Anthony Torres January 21st, 2008 04:13 PM

Image Capture takes 1/2 hour for 1 gig.- anything better?

Image capture is free software that comes with the OSX.

Make sure your camera is on playback mode, set to the stills, and connect the USB cable to camera & computer. Launch Image Capture. Set the parameters (download photo, post actions). Run it.

It seems to take FOREVER on my iMac G5. It's all USB-1 speed, not zippy USB-2. Come to think of it, anyone have any ways to improve on that? It takes a half hour to download a gig, which is pathetic.

Best, Anthony

Chris Hurd January 21st, 2008 04:36 PM

Just buy a Mini SD card reader... much more convenient than downloading from the camcorder.

Tony Markle January 21st, 2008 08:13 PM

Thanks for all the replies, but my original question stated that NONE of the software any of you mentioned should be required, according to the manual.

"Users of Mac OS X: Your camcorder is equipped with the standard Picture Transfer Protocol allowing you to download still images simply by connecting the camcorder to a computer using the USB cable without installing the software from the supplied software CD-ROM."

Tony

Leonard Wong January 21st, 2008 09:11 PM

Tony-

Picture Transfer Protocol does not make the flash drives mount as a viewable drive. To use Picture Transfer Protocol, you'll need to use iPhoto or Image Capture to download the pictures via USB to your Mac.

Kelly OHara January 22nd, 2008 12:27 AM

Another point of contention, since we're going there.... Canon says you don't need any of the software from their CD. That does not mean you do not need something.

On the mac, you already should have iPhoto. Colin suggested using Image Capture or Graphic Converter. Macs already have Image Capture and some come with Graphic Converter. If you have Aperture, you may use that too. Or even use Chris Hurd's suggestion of just copying the files using a card reader, that will work just fine too.

Canon's implication is that you can use the same method to retrieve the images that you would for any digital still camera, and on the Mac, that is using iPhoto or Image Capture to get the pictures.

The mac can automate the process with a little bit of setup, but if you've disabled it, it won't work at all. Run Image Capture, open its preferences and see what "When a camera is connected, open: " is set to. If it's set to "No Application", then nothing will run when you connect your HV20 in SD card mode. Set it to an application and then you will have something happen as you seem to be expecting.