HV 20 Price for Aussies.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Tourist

HV 20 Price for Aussies..

Just thought that you may be interested...$1315 with a tax invoice and legit warranty...

http://www.ryda.com.au/Canon-HV20-HD...ock-p/hv20.htm
Mike Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Woah, and down to $1,295.88 now. It's worth buying a spare!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 03:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Hmm its kind of sad that we are excited its "down to" an "amazing" $1300.

Currently can be had for $699.00 USD = $773.828 AUD. Yep, someone is making a ship load of cash. And its really starting to get on my nerves.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Never knew they were that cheap in the US. But I guess they pay the price having to deal with 24P issues.

Let's say $1180 for the Australian version once we claim back the GST (if eligible to do so).
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #5
New Boot

B&H in the US stock the PAL version for $1199.95 and the NTSC version for $699.95. Why the price difference?
Leopold Hamulczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #6
Trustee

vowels are very expensive - Just as well they never called our system PAAL :-)

It's actually a very good question - and it gets on my nerves as well
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #7
New Boot

I am new to the forum and have just gotten back into video so if I am wrong please someone correct me.

1: What are you using the camera for play back directly or to a tv ?

You could just use region free I think. I had thought most tv's were capable of both ntsc and pal anyway not sure. Region free dvd players are not that expensive. In this case also you could just use the dvi cable which would not have anything to do with pal as far as I know

2: Wil you be editing on pc?

Then you could just convert the the footage you have or take. I have talked to people who say they have done it with very little Quality loss.

My question to anyone though with the HV being digital. Why does PAL or NTSC matter anymore ? They are analog formats right? Who doing analog anymore? Here in the US we are even eliminating analog tv finally. I do not know maybe I am missing something.

I would think just go NTSC the only things I can think of is the power aspect, repairs, and warranty of the camera being a issue

good luck
Tom Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #8
New Boot

Region-free is a DVD thing, not a video thing. Yes, most TV's here accept NTSC signals, but what about HD TV's? Do they accept 60i signals? Anyone with a HDTV in PAL land care to comment?

I bought the NTSC version of the HG10 because most of my shooting will be for SD DVD and some of it will go to non-PAL countries.
Leopold Hamulczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Mine cost me $1400 ish in early January, but I had to get it shipped. Local dealers only told me it was crap and tape was crap and I should get one of the HDD ones. When I tried to discuss the awards it won and reported shortcomings of AVCHD in hard disk camcorders they said they're all the same but tried to sell me a more prosumer tape model for five grand (which I said I couldn't afford in the first place). *sigh* And they wonder why people shop online (they generally wanted $1600 to get one in. Yeah I'd pay an extra 200 bucks for that sort of brilliant salesmanship)
I'd guess the US price for the PAL model is a sign that they had to import it.
Our price versus the US price is just basic protection. If currency exchange rate was the only thing that mattered even a slight twitch in the market would decimate local retailers who bought at a different rate a month earlier.

PAL and NTSC are still completely different systems. In digital and HD it seems that frame sizes are becoming the same (unlike in SD) but they still use different bandwidths and frame rates and field order in the interlacing, I'm pretty sure, even though interlaced video might be fading (dunno if the digital broadcast world has made up its mind yet).
In terms of this camera I find 25fps a lot easier to deal with than 24 would be for most finishes I'm likely to make at home. I bought it for the progressive scan HD footage and it being 25 already means there's one less step to take that might mess things up on the way in to edit or out to the finish.
If you've got to make NTSC stuff then starting with NTSC video is pretty necessary. Converting from PAL can be time consuming and brutal, depending on your gear. This was a big issue on DVD because, unlike here where every DVD player these days is dual standard just because it's easier at the factory, strictly NTSC players were mostly all there was in the US until recently (I think). Anyone who's tried to get a cheapo film into US festivals in the last few years might have noticed that. But the impression I get is it's all starting to change.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
vowels are very expensive - Just as well they never called our system PAAL :-)

It's actually a very good question - and it gets on my nerves as well
hehe you made me laugh on a subject that REALLY doesnt make me happy. nice job :P

i think the answer is simple. Highway Robbery. I really think its that simple. While corporations can get away with price gouging, they will. I'd say they know the time is coming where they wont be able to hide from it now being a Global Market and being unable to put huge premiums on top of prices due to the "Regional Market". What a load!

Thanks to RED we're one step closer to a reasonably priced global price. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders