Lens cap for setting the aperture and exposure is finally here - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #16
Trustee

I will do some tests and let you know.
What have you been experiencing?
What settings are you using in Cinemode?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Sorry, I was out of town, and couldn't respond to your last post.

When shooting in Cine mode, you have nothing fixed in place to start off with. So with camera on, it selects initial settings on its own. This is where your cap would come in, of course, the same as with TV mode.

In any event, when you toggle into exposure, it locks the current settings, that you can adjust, of course, with the slider. I usually slide the exposure in the minus (-) direction until I hit 1/48 setting on the shutter (checking with the half down photo button, of course). Once I reach that point, I assume that camera is automatically locked out of gain. The aperature is usually in the 2.0 to 2.8 range. So that is why I had the question about whether 2.8 had some signifigance in Cine mode.
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #18
Trustee

From what I understand about Cinemode, the HV20 tries hard to lock down on 1/48 with the correct exposure. Sometimes it adds gain, I believe, but it tries not to.
Right now I am finding that 4.8 and lower also yields some great results with a full range for the exposure. The main challenge is that when you open up the aperture to 4.8-5.6 is that you need to crank the exposure to get light in the scene. All-in-all, there is no gain added to the image when you set the aperture and lock it with the Lytecap.
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #19
Trustee

Chris,

I just tested out Cinemode at a variety of apertures. Here is my results:

1) At an aperture 3.2 in Cinemode, the HV20 automatically keeps the "1/48" shutter speed up to +6 EV - the gain was 0dB. Once I clicked beyond +6, the shutter speed automatically changes to "1/40".

2) At an 2.8 in Cinemode, the HV20 keeps the "1/48" shutter speed to +5 (one less than 3.2). Again, there is no Gain added to the image, but the shutter speed again changes to "1/40" once the EV goes past +5.
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks for that information, David... I am getting similar results here.
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #21
Major Player

Nice product David. I have a couple of questions/comments similar to Chris. It seems evident that an HV/20 & 30 user can use either the "TV mode" or the "Cinemode" to do these tricks in order to have more control over the exposure. So which of the two modes, (in your opinion), gives the better range of use after locking the exposure when using your product?

- I too have noticed while in "Cinemode", that the HV20 seems to know that you want to keep a 1/48 shutter speed and it will struggle to do it as much as it can. (But sometimes it CANNOT).

- Of course in "TV mode", you just set the shutter speed, and then not worry about it.

If we can figure out which MODE gives the better, (gain-free), range of exposure control after locking it with the toggle, That would be superb and could narrow things down a bit.

Thanks.

Last edited by Steve Witt; February 20th, 2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: clarifying observations
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
** PLEASE NOTE -- if you are going to use PAYPAL connected to a CREDIT CARD, add $2.50 to the total **
I'm not sure you're allowed to add a surcharge for using a credit card .
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #23
Major Player

It's actually a credit card regulation and potentially a law, not just a paypal.com rule.

From paypal.com

Quote:
No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #24
Trustee

Fixed. Thanks for that.

As for the different modes - I am not so sure if there are many differences to the two modes besides the fact that Cinemode does all of the work with the settings (or so it seems). Someone else might be able to chine in here with an answer.

In TV mode, I have more control because once I set the shutter speed it stays. Again, whether or not there is a difference when it comes down to TV mode vs. Cinemode, I am not sure. In Cinemode, I will try and go through all of the aperture and discover the upper limits to the 1/48 speed, but I am quite happy with the look of TV mode.
Chris, is there a reason you choose cinemode?
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:23 AM   #25
Trustee

I just had a recent email from someone that told me something obvious - my reply to their email message about the "Lytecap" had gone directly to their spam/junk folder. Sometimes the obvious eludes me. So, having said all that, please check your junk folder if you have emailed me. I have answered each and everyone of my emails, so please check again - and if you have emptied you junk folder - email me again if you didn't get a response you were expecting.

On another note, the 35mm adapter is working, but I am not entirely happy with how it secures to the lens, so still progressing on that front.
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #26
Trustee

Chris,

I just finished testing out the Lytecap with the HV20 and the Letus35A. Some interesting news. To step through the aperture ratings on the HV20, I manually used the Canon f-stops as well as the Lytecap. I really fined tuned it with the Lytecap, but found that 2.8 as well as all the other aperture settings were available. The stuff looks good - no gain - but dark. I am only using a 60Watt bulb for testing right now, but through the Letus35A it looks great.

Last edited by David Delaney; February 25th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney View Post
Chris,

I just finished testing out the Lytecap with the HV20 and the Letus35A.
What is the minimum and maximum lens diameters the Lytecap will accommodate? And I'm assuming that it will work with any of the Letus products or other 35mm adapters since it's really designed to fit around the lenses and not the adapter itself, correct?

Thanks,
Leo Versola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #28
Trustee

Right now, I am working with 46-55 or so for sizes. Once I get this one perfected, it is a matter of resizing it. I tried to use my Ambico macro/wide angles lens and it is too big, so I will need to resize for larger lenses.
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney View Post
Right now, I am working with 46-55 or so for sizes. Once I get this one perfected, it is a matter of resizing it. I tried to use my Ambico macro/wide angles lens and it is too big, so I will need to resize for larger lenses.
I'd love to have it fit my 58mm Voigtlander lens. When it's available, count me in as a customer...
Leo Versola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #30
Trustee

Working on it. I have a method, just finding the right materials for the job!
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders