DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HG10 - Price Drop? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/114586-hg10-price-drop.html)

Wes Jones February 11th, 2008 05:26 PM

HG10 - Price Drop?

Hey, I've noticed over the past couple of days that the price for the HG10 on B&H has gone down considerably. Last week it was at $750, then yesterday it was at $725, and now it is down to $695. It doesn't say that is on sale anywhere on the page so i expect that this new price to stay. But I am wondering if you guys think that the price will continue to go down with the approach of the New 2008 Line-Up, or are they just trying to sell off the older HG10's trying to get those out, to get the ones with the VIXIA brand on them? If so, this might be a good time for those of us to jump on the HG10 with the low price.

Ken Ross February 11th, 2008 06:24 PM

That raises an interesting point. The HG10 existed before Canon introduced the Vixia line. So is Canon altering the HG10 in any way when the Vixia label comes out?

Chris Hurd February 11th, 2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 824592)
...is Canon altering the HG10 in any way when the Vixia label comes out?

Nope. All of the print / online marketing material changes to "VIXIA HG10" but the camcorder itself isn't re-branded nor changed in any other way. This was explained to me directly by Canon USA.

Ken Ross February 11th, 2008 06:46 PM

Thanks Chris, that makes sense. I don't think I've ever seen a cam from a manufacturer changed mid-stream as far as features are concerned.

Wes Jones February 11th, 2008 07:59 PM

Sorry guys, I know that they are not going to change any of the features. But what I was trying to ask was if they are trying to sell off the HG10's without the VIXIA mark and that they would want to start selling the HG10's with the VIXIA brand logo on them when the new 2008 series comes out.

Chris Hurd February 11th, 2008 09:00 PM

Understood Wes. The answer is that they ain't physically re-branding the HG10 with a VIXIA logo.

Tracy Evans February 11th, 2008 09:20 PM

They are clearing out stock because the VIXIA Canon HF-10 and HF 100 will make the HG-10 obsolete, IMHO.

Dave Blackhurst February 11th, 2008 09:54 PM

Looks generally like the product channels are being purged of the old obsolete camcorders <wink>, in favor of this years new shiny toys which will arrive shortly! Canon seems to be a bit more agressive in this regard than the other "big" companies?

If you don't mind a perfectly good "last years model" cam, you get to knock a bunch off the price because it's being replaced with something "new".

Ain't capitalism grand! If you can stand to have "the old black" (silver!) instead of the NEW black... you make out like a bandit!

Ken Ross February 12th, 2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy Evans (Post 824701)
They are clearing out stock because the VIXIA Canon HF-10 and HF 100 will make the HG-10 obsolete, IMHO.

Tracy, I don't think so. It would be the case if the HG10 were being supplanted by a similar 1920X1080 unit with a hard drive. Some people like the long internal recording times of the hard drive units.

Pascal Canning February 15th, 2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy Evans (Post 824701)

Not sure if obsolete is the correct term Tracy. This term would mean it was being replaced with something better and nobody would want the old HG10.

The new line-up has some new additions (1920 and 17Mbs), but I think lack of viewfinder means Canon is at the moment developing a true SD replacement for DV20/30 and HG10.

I think the new HF10/HF100 will be on the lower end of Canons new range of HD SD Vixia cameras (maybe 20Mbs) in six months time. This is progress. The HG10 may then be be considered obsolete.

Price wise I think the HG10 is a great buy at the moment. Also dont forget there is 40GB built-in. Even though SD is cheap now, you will need to add a few hundred dollars for 40GB of it for your vacation.

This will change though. Everything changes. This is progress.

But too many people get tied up in waiting for the next newest hottest technology, and they miss that golden clip.

Pascal