Worth buying HV30? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 15th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Worth buying HV30?

I don't have a camera yet but my father is looking to replace an old sony handycam, I was suggesting he wait and purchase the hv30 once it came out.

I know its a small thing, but having used the Hv20 before I know he wouldn't like the zoom toggle, it's just far too small and he likes to use a camera on family trips.

Any insights?
Abram Goglanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abram Goglanian View Post
I don't have a camera yet but my father is looking to replace an old sony handycam, I was suggesting he wait and purchase the hv30 once it came out.

I know its a small thing, but having used the Hv20 before I know he wouldn't like the zoom toggle, it's just far too small and he likes to use a camera on family trips.

Any insights?

The HV30 will probably be a good $300 more than what you can get the HV20 for right now, so it depends on how much you feel that he would like the new toggle and the 30p feature. I won't be trading my HV20 in for one, but if I didn't have a camera, I might be inclined to pay the extra and go for the HV30.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I think the HV20 supply will be drying up pretty soon anyway.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Major Player

30 FPS progressive at 1080P is a pretty nifty feature, shouldn't be underestimated as it means the footage will be at higher res than 60i that's been deinterlaced. In my opinion, it also allows for a nifty 'pro' feel that sets it apart from 'regular' 60i footage.

In the past, using Panasonic 'frame-mode' DV cameras, it gave the footage a nice feel that viewers enjoyed - cinematic, without being a stuttery 24P.

The price difference between the HV20 and HV30 is almost enough for me, an HV20 owner, to justify selling mine as a used camera and upgrading. 30P won't need any post-processing to become get past 3:2 pulldown, which makes it ideal for many situations.

Also, the black camera will work better if you own other pro (black) gear and will look a tad less consumerish. For me, and for other owners of 35mm adapters, an HV30 will fit better as it'll be black like the rest of the gear (lens, adapter, carbon rails, matte box are all black).

HV20 is a steal.. either one is great, Abram.
Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #5
New Boot

Thank you for the responses guys, I think that due to the fact I/we don't have a camera at all right now, the HV30 might be worth it indeed. My father absolutely doesn't want to buy a prosumer/pro-grade camera purely because of the physical size and complexity. I however DO want something of that level, as I'm a professional Photographer who's wanting to get into video now.

I'm going to worry about getting a camera like that for myself later on, this first conquest is for my dad. So will the HV30 be a more beneficial unit overall?
I do agree about it being a black-body camera. Same reason I own a black macbook instead of a white one ;). It would go well with my Canon SLRs ;)
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abram Goglanian View Post
So will the HV30 be a more beneficial unit overall?
Yes, more options. I hear you about the black look!
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #7
Wrangler

Don't forget, too, that the HV30 will take the new high-capacity battery which is no small thing. One of my few gripes with the HV20 is the need to carry a pocketful of batteries and a couple of extra chargers when I travel.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
The HV30 will probably be a good $300 more [...]
I think the price of the HV30 will drop even before it gets into the shops.
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tauger View Post
Don't forget, too, that the HV30 will take the new high-capacity battery which is no small thing. One of my few gripes with the HV20 is the need to carry a pocketful of batteries and a couple of extra chargers when I travel.
I hadn't even heard of that. Hmm, that's good then. I own two batteries with my HV20 - the stock, and the higher-cap one, and they're still often not enough.
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Major Player

While the HV20's zoom toggle isn't great, it's usable. I have fat fingers and I've never really had a problem getting the zoom action I wanted. I would prefer to have the HV30's toggle if I had a choice.

The 30p on the HV30 is worth the slight premium. I actually prefer the silver colored body but the black is pretty sharp.
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #11
Go Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I think the HV20 supply will be drying up pretty soon anyway.
TRUE...they are not available for retailers except what is on the shelf. 3 more weeks and the HV30 will be released to retailers.
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #12
New Boot

So the general consensus is to get the HV30 then since I don't currently own the HV20?
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #13
Major Player

if that's so...

If it's the HV30...then the question becomes why not the HF-10
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

HF10 / HF100 doesn't have zebras, which can be a deal-killer for some folks.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #15
Major Player

Really? Interesting.
I must say - I have used the HV20 with the Gain/Aperture fix and I like it tremendously.
J
John Benton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders