Problems with external microphone on HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems with external microphone on HV20

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me with this.

I've gotten a couple external microphones and I'm not getting the results I'm looking for with either of them.

The first two are two Sennheiser G2 EW 112's. I got them both refurbished, but I'm getting the same result with both of them, so my instinct is that it's probably not the microphones. Basically, it sounds very "hot" or distorted when I plug in the microphones. I have the Attenuator on, but it still sounds very hot. I put the mesh windscreen on the microphones, but it still doesn't eliminate it. It's still quite significant in my opinion.

Ok, newsbreak, when the automatic wind filter is on in the HV20 it sounds alright, but I've tried that before and for some reason I just couldn't get it on. Did I fiddle around with the controls too much? What are the essential settings for making an external microphone sound good?

Also, I got an Oktava MK-012 and that's not working. It needs 48Volt phantom power. I have a Rolls MX124 Mixer. I don't know if that supplies phantom power or not, but I was just kind of hoping that I could plug the Oktava in there and it'd work. Anyone know what I can do to get the Oktava to work with my HV20? I just looked on the Rolls website and it says that the mixer comes with 18 VDC of Phantom power. I don't know what VDC means, but I know 18 is less than 48.

Sorry if this is a lot of questions guys, but I'm supposed to be shooting something on Sunday and I want to make sure all the sound is good.

Thanks a lot.

Josh
Joshua Fulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

mic on hv20

you need to use the mic switch on the toggle to either turn the mic up or down to control the mic's input value you cannot use the oktava mic without some sort of mixer with phantom 48 power
Mark Viducich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Mark, thanks very much for the response.

I've tried adjusting the mic level on the HV20, and even though I can get it lower without as much disortion, the sound quality still does not sound particularly good to me.

A friend mentioned that I might need to adjust the 'sensit' setting on the Sennheisers. Anyone have any ideas about that?

Thanks.

Josh

Also, I think I was wrong about that wind filter. Maybe I just didn't have the mic input plugged all the way in or something, because now whenever I try to plug it in that wind filter option goes off.
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Fulton View Post
A friend mentioned that I might need to adjust the 'sensit' setting on the Sennheisers. Anyone have any ideas about that?
Yes, it's true.
I've got the same problem with the EW100. By default this setting on the transmitter was a bit to high, I found.
You should decrease it as it is explained in the manual (chapter "Adjusting the sensitivity" (transmetters only).
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ok guys, it looks like my sensit settings were too high.

I also got a 48 Volt power supply from 'Artcessories' for about $40. So everything worked out pretty well.

Thanks.
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Have you paired the Oktava MK-012 and HV20 yet? I have an Oktava also, so the 48v phantom power supply is on my shopping list. I would be interested to hear how well it's working out for you.

I've been using an Audio Technics AT897 with my HV20. Outdoors this combo produces nice results, but indoors the sound is lacking. 'Tis said that the Oktava is superior indoors.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders