DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon HF-10 or HV30 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/115295-canon-hf-10-hv30.html)

John Benton February 20th, 2008 10:08 AM

Canon HF-10 or HV30

Yes another thread though they are not here yet...

1) recording HDV V. AVCHD
2) bigger Cmos AND better resolution (1920 v 1440)
3) tape v card (cheap) is less of an issue
4) zebras are less of an issue (though I love the HV20 Gain/aperture trick!)

ideas?

Abram Goglanian February 24th, 2008 07:56 PM

I too am interested in this very topic.

I'm in the market for a really good consumer grade cam for my father, and I'm still a newbie to video ( I'm a still photographer ).

Is HDV pointless to get into this late in the game?
My dad's last camcorder was a Sony DCR-TRV11.

He still doesn't trust / like the idea of tapeless cameras. But I know it's inevitable, just like when I switched from film to digital cameras. Scary but necessary change.

Dave Blackhurst February 25th, 2008 06:47 AM

Ahh the good old TRV11... owned a couple along the way, but HD in almost ANY format will blow it away.

Tape, HDD, Flash memory, DVD... really four choices, although the last 3 are AVCHD format.

It really comes down to your workflow and how you use and archive footage. I'm VERY impressed with the AVCHD from my Sony CX7, actually more impressed with it than HDV in some repects, and I own both.

If tape makes him feel comfortable, pick up an HV20 quick while they are blowing them out, or an HV30... or a Sony HC7 or 9 (or the older HC3 cheap!).

If he's open to trying the "new-fangled", then I'd say you shouldn't be scared of AVCHD/tapeless - as a new technology, I think it's had some growing pains, but software has caught up to a great extent, the output from Vegas 8 looks great to my eye. I've seen other footage shot with a CX6/7 that confirms that assessment.

Technology changes, whether you want to or not is up to you!

Ron Evans February 25th, 2008 09:50 AM

The AVCHD cams, from Sony at least, are very easy to watch what has been taken. Just bring up the clips on the LCD, select and it will play. Backup is easy on the PC or even get the Sony VRDMC5 and make backups to DVD without a PC. For convenience they can't be beat, edit in camera, etc. It's only if you want to do fancy editing, multicam shoots etc ,etc that HDV may be better choice. I have both AVCHD for my family use and HDV/DV for projects.

Ron Evans

Brian W. Smith February 25th, 2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 832573)
The AVCHD cams, from Sony at least, are very easy to watch what has been taken. Just bring up the clips on the LCD, select and it will play. Backup is easy on the PC or even get the Sony VRDMC5 and make backups to DVD without a PC. For convenience they can't be beat, edit in camera, etc. It's only if you want to do fancy editing, multicam shoots etc ,etc that HDV may be better choice. I have both AVCHD for my family use and HDV/DV for projects.

Ron Evans

Canon also has this DVD type burner coming out soon.

Dave Blackhurst February 25th, 2008 07:19 PM

And once you do the first project with AVCHD and see how fast you go from dump to edit... you start to see the advantages!

Tapeless has HUGE advantages if getting right to the edit is important - you can be cutting and mixing while the tapes are still downloading!

Austin Meyers March 5th, 2008 09:45 PM

i'm playing with the hf10 right now... i'll be posting up some stuff soonish

Ken Ross March 6th, 2008 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin Meyers (Post 838059)

Austin, any initial thoughts on how this compares to the HV20?

Paul Kendal March 6th, 2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin Meyers (Post 838059)

Austin, where did you get your HF10?

Paul Chiappini March 6th, 2008 11:22 AM

Austin,

What do you think of the LCD screen? How difficult does it seem to be working without zebras?

Thanks,
Paul

Austin Meyers March 6th, 2008 01:11 PM

chris hurd handed it off to me for a couple days to check it out.

my very initial impressions are that i like it over all and i'll post more detailed descriptions once i get the footage processed and uploaded... which should be sometime today.

Ken Ross March 7th, 2008 11:55 AM

Any update on your findings Austin. Have you compared the picture of the HV20 to the HF10 yet?

Tony Parenti March 7th, 2008 05:52 PM

http://file.meyersproduction.com/hf10/

Link to his hf10 files...

Eugenia Loli-Queru March 8th, 2008 03:07 AM

>) bigger Cmos AND better resolution (1920 v 1440)

The HV20 has a bigger sensor, not the HF10. As for resolution, dunno, probably Canon records in full 1080p. But the sensor AND lens AND filter thread, is better on the HV20.

Austin Meyers March 8th, 2008 09:02 AM

well I wasn't quite ready to go public with the link. I'm still putting stuff together and am going to start a new thread once I get to my office today.

(I'll be throwing up some m2ts and a disk image and a couple more comparisons)