HV20 footage of Cambodia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 24th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 footage of Cambodia

http://www.vimeo.com/717680

I went to Cambodia on a short term mission trip. I got to interview and document the missionary who live in a poor village and my trusty HV20 was there to record it.
Mostly Korean language interview but there are some footage that turned out to be quite nice.

HDV 24p cine mode, but couldn't get shutter speed to be locked at 1/48 all the time. Ingested and roughly cut in iMovie08 in 960x540 and exported to Final cut express. Some shots were color corrected but most were not.

Cambodia is a beautiful country and HV20 was excellent for capturing a small part of it.
Euisung Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Cambodia footage

Extraordinary documentary Euisung Lee, congratulations!!
Colors are perfect.
I also use the same workflow of quick assembling in IMovie 8 and then exporting to FCE. What I don't understand is how could you edit 24P on FCE when it is not supported.
Did you edited in the 29.97 timeline wrap and then did the pulldown using something else?

Thank You
Luis A. Diaz
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. I'd like to go back and do another version someday with shots I couldn't include.
I ended up with 16 tapes total at the end of the trip and had less than four days to make the first edited version for the screening at the church so the edit has lots of rough edges. With this kind of time constraint though I couldn't have done it without iMovie 08. The scrubbing interface of iMovie is revolutionary in my opinion because it makes your awareness of what footage is where so much higher, allowing you to do a quick assembly much faster than the old iMovie. I think Apple should bring this into their pro NLE and use it for browsing the bin.

As for 24p in 60i timeline issue, I didn't have luxury of worrying about it at all. I just imported footage as 960x540 res (for time and storage limit) and iMovie08 simply discards one field in the process, giving you 30p footages in the end. Because the original was 24p in 60i stream and one field was removed you end up with not-so-ideal footage with lots of repeating frames but the result was to my surprise not too bad. I think lack of motion resolution was forgivable because most shots are quite static.
Euisung Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders