Ghosting problem! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ghosting problem!

Hi everybody, I just bought an HV20 (something ive been wanting to do since it came out!) I am worried though as I am seeing significant ghosting especially of high contrast areas. I have recorded in all modes (hdv, hdv24, and dv) and have increased the shutter speed. I know what low shutter looks like and 24p cadence and this is nothing like that. Does anyone else have this problem or do I have a bum camera? I will try to post a screencap in an hour or two, just thought someone else might have had trouble with this. Thanks everybody!
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Might just be the de-interlacing algorithm of your video editor. For example, if you don't pick a good one on FCP, you might end up with really bad ghosting. Same goes for Vegas when I use "blend fields" instead of "interpolation": http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/images/interlaced.png
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

What monitor and/or TV are you using to view this ghosting???? Some are much worse than others and it depends on things like refresh rate etc. All I'm saying is that it might be a PC issue, nothing to do with your camera.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I went into the garage and dug out an old crt monitor and POOF problem solved! I have never noticed any significant ghosting on my monitors or tv before but it must be there, because its not coming from my camera. Sorry for the false alarm!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders