DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20 Flip mount and 35mm adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/116991-hv20-flip-mount-35mm-adapter.html)

Igor Babic March 14th, 2008 03:05 PM

HV20 Flip mount and 35mm adapter

4 Attachment(s)
I have build this setup and I want to share my design with all you good people here. It is not finished and painted. Details and footage, soon...

PS.
GG is Canon EE-a on vibrating holder with carbon fiber pins with Cinevate achromat. I am posting this here because is HV20 specific design.

Chris Hurd March 15th, 2008 10:13 AM

That's amazing, Igor, most industrious. But I think you need a stylish new black HV30 to go with it! Thanks for posting these,

Igor Babic March 17th, 2008 04:18 AM

Thanks Chris, thats very kind from you and thanks for looking, this is very encouraging.

It will be my silver HV20...for now.

Most of my setup is made from parts that are available for cheap on ebay. Some of them you have to adopt, and some are made in CNC and laser cutter shops. But you must be handy with various simple machining tools (and you must have easy acces to them or own them from other projects to justify investment) to do this kind of setup.

PS
I just love smell of fresh paint early in the morning...

I have also add Manfrotto 482 ball head for monitor mount. Looks great. Entire setup weights around 2.5 kg, including Nikon 85mm/f2.0, HV20 and achromat.

Dale Backus March 27th, 2008 01:55 AM

Very cool.... nice work!

Axel Scheffler March 27th, 2008 07:04 PM

Nice work and very compacted. This is a setup that you can even ravel with. But isn't the camera plate and screw on the wrong side? I think it needs to be upside down?! :-)

Igor Babic March 28th, 2008 03:54 PM

New Pictures

5 Attachment(s)
Here is how is all connected, and with some improvements. Couple of quick grabs in low light of my son ( with a lot of CA and not sharp enough). Yesterday I have made some nice footage outdoor, and this is much better. Footage soon. Parts info, after this weekend. Sorry for slow respond, a lot of day job...

Igor Babic March 28th, 2008 04:31 PM

And some more

4 Attachment(s)
Those was taken with (accidental) 120 shutter speed and Nikon 50mm, f1,4. Model is my younger son.

Chris Barcellos March 28th, 2008 06:06 PM

Igor:

1. Do you have a lot of "zoom room" using the cinevate achromat, and what is your distance from the achromat to the focusing screen.

2. Can you provide a picture of the carbon fiber pins set up.

Dale Backus March 29th, 2008 12:51 AM

Awesome looking footage, Igor.

Very sharp.. thats a Canon focusing screen you say?

What monitor is that?

Igor Babic March 29th, 2008 02:49 AM

Answers

Thanks guys.

Chris: Yes, I have enough of zoom room with Cinevate achromat. My adapter is 1 cm shorter then Brevis so this gives me more zoom room and 1 stop light loss less, because I need less to zoom in. This gives almost same overal light loss like Brevis, but this has its drawbacks, like small barrel distorzion and less sharpness. ( I have to still find out why I have so much CA and I think I know...) First I was thinking to make this even shorter but then its quite hard to fit all the stuff inside, and barrel distorzion and sharpness is much worse. I will disasemble My35 today and post all the parts. Here is My35 v1 and description of how to make v2 carbon fiber pins GG holder with plans for cutting it:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=112559

Dale: GG is Canon EE-a. EE-s has too much light loss and vigneting. EE-a vignets when you step down SLR lens a lot. Monitor is Denver generic kind LCD 7" TV. It is bulky but you got intresting battery holder with it. You can put 12 AA NiMh batts inside and hook it up to it with short cable. You also receive small charger for it that can power monitor too. This is nothing fancy, its sharp like lcd on hv20 but not sharp enough for accurate focusing. It shows picture wright side up (it has internal flip function for non flip setup).

Chris Barcellos March 29th, 2008 02:20 PM

Igor: Thanks for the post on the fiber rods. My version is very close to yours, but I am using plain old plastic hot coffee stirrers from CostCo as the rods. I used carpet tacks through the gg holder and the second mount then glue the stirrers to them.....

Igor Babic March 30th, 2008 06:10 AM

Parts used in my adapter and mount. 1st part

Here is list of parts:

Nikon body cap:
ebay seller: buyitjnow
Nikon Rear Lens Cap Camera Body Cap - 0,99$+shipp4$

Nikon mount:
ebay seller: buyitjnow
Macro Extension Tube Fits Nikon Camera - 3.45$+shipp11$
Nikon mount has some strange nonstandard thread and this has to be cut down on small Lathe to fit 55mm thread on 58-55 adapter ring and epoxy glued to it.

35mm Adapter body front:
ebay seller: asiancamera1
STEP-DOWN RING SET 77-72-67-62-58-55-52-49mm Metal New - 17.50$+shipp4$
This set is used from 55-77mm - 5 rings.

35mm adapter body and 49mm UV filter for GG holder, (from 77mm UV glass filter is removed and rims are used to extend tube to fit all inside):
ebay seller: asiancamera1
77mm Spacer Ring Adapter Metal 77 mm EOS DSLR SLR TUBE - 13.99$
2 x 77mm Multi Coated UV Filter 77 mm U V Lens Protector MC - 6$+6$
49mm Multi Coated UV Filter 49 mm MC Lens Protector New - 9$
62mm Multi Coated UV Filter 62 mm MC Lens Protector New - 6,98$ - used for 35mm adapter body cap in front of an achromat.
shipping around 15$

Vibramotor:
www.solarobotics.com VPM2 Vibrating disk motor
http://www.solarbotics.com/products/vpm2/
5pc 17,50$+shipp7,95$

Mounts on 35mm adapter body:
ebay seller: jiakgong
Tripod Mount Ring B (W) Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM - 12.99+shipp28.80$
Beware!!! there is another one marked as 78mm inner diameter but is around 72mm. (It want fit 72mm tube) 78mm exactly fit 77mm Spacer ring. Buy WHITE one, this one has removable tripod mount plate so you can use it on flip mount. I have use big thumb screws from it for attaching camera to upper rods.

Handle:
http://www.lux-tools.com/en/index.html
in search put word:vario
choose their online shop, and select product that has number 579940
It costs around 18$ in my local hardware store. You have to hack saw it under removable mount and make threads under it so it can be screwed to rod clamp. Original screw from handle is used to mount Manfrotto 482 mount.

Igor Babic April 1st, 2008 05:56 PM

Pictureshow for part 2

2 Attachment(s)
OK, here is second part. Before I proceed to a 3rd part I decided to post detailed pictures of my setup. Here is entire adapter disassembled in parts. this will show how simple (or complicated) is to build this. Main benefit of this setup is that you have compact, lightweight, practical and good looking adapter with high quality picture. This is simplest setup of my adapter. There is a lot of room for improvement or upgrade, like downside rod system for mattebox and accessories like additional power supply, XLR adapter, wireless mic, shoulder support, front handle and follow focus in terms of functionality, in terms of good looking all parts has to be powder coated to look fully pro (except bars that has to be anodized in white, on black stays marks from usage), in terms of high quality picture to use higher quality UV filters and GG or achromat.

So, first please everybody who is intrested in this setup take a good look at this pictures because it will be much easier to explain how to build this. There is couple of parts that has to be done at CNC shop and this is mayor problem for DIY this setup, but you can always buy your self a rail system that already has that part and save a lot time.

15mm rods are solid aluminum bars from my metal depot wholesale and 3m cost around 25$. They are heavy but very rigid. This is usualy second problem. Thats why I recommend to buy something like this:
ebay seller:dvaccessory
or try here
http://www.emachineshop.com/
They have exellent free CAD drawing software, so you can order things for you or find how much cost something without even asking them. Their software you can also use for other stuff... They are not cheap for one or two parts but for 10-20pc are ok. You can also try to find localy a shop that can do this couple of things for you. (Even big guys doo that...) Ask them to do only hard machining part, holes and threads and painting you can do yourself. Clamp for 15mm rods like mine without fine finishing and without holes and threads cost around 15$/pc in a shop where I do my stuff. Please don't ask me to do this for you. If there is enough interest I will post plans with measures for rod clamp without threads.

Gev Babit April 3rd, 2008 12:45 AM

Nice design Igor, very modern. I have a 75mm tube for an adaptor, I want to know if the white 78mm tripod mount ring that you used will fit a 75mm tube?

Thanks,
Gev

Igor Babic April 3rd, 2008 04:30 AM

If your outer diameter is around 78mm you can make it fit. I have strip down cotton tape from inside of Tripod mount ring to exactly fit Asian 77mm spacer ring, and instead of it I have glued 400grit sand paper cut in a full circle tape. This gives exact fit and better grip. Maybe you can do same. Asian is exactly 78mm outer diameter and this is very good size to fit all parts inside.