Windows Media Player Plays HF10 AVCHD Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 5th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Windows Media Player Plays HF10 AVCHD Footage

I see a lot of confusion out there on this point so thought I would post. At least on my system, WMP 11.0.6 plays AVCHD footage from my HF10 beautifully. ***You must change the .m2ts extension to .mpg*** or simply choose "open with" and check the box going forward to use windows media player with the .m2ts extension. I have NOT been able to get quicktime to work with these files.

So my basic question is, why wouldn't Microsoft simply add the .m2ts file extension to those recognized by WMP? This seems like complete insanity, so there must be some logical reason. Thoughts?
Stuart Dawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Major Player

and it still won't play the hg10 footage for me no matter what I name it :/this is another reason I think to upgrade
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Major Player

There is a way to use freeware utilities to do the job. But it's tricky. Here's what you need to do:
You need to install the latest generic ffdshow build from clsid: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=173941
Then you need the splitters here (the .ax files should be placed on the ffdshow folder on "Program Files"): http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=205650
and if you want install media player Classic too to playback AVCHD.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Strange its not working here for the HF100 file, I assume they are the same. I will have to play more this week and see if I can get it to work at all.

Is there any program that does play it? VLC and media Classic see it and can play either audio only or it just breaks up, everything has to go through vegas to be converted to a format they can play.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Dawkins View Post
I see a lot of confusion out there on this point so thought I would post. At least on my system, WMP 11.0.6 plays AVCHD footage from my HF10 beautifully. ***You must change the .m2ts extension to .mpg*** or simply choose "open with" and check the box going forward to use windows media player with the .m2ts extension. I have NOT been able to get quicktime to work with these files.

So my basic question is, why wouldn't Microsoft simply add the .m2ts file extension to those recognized by WMP? This seems like complete insanity, so there must be some logical reason. Thoughts?
Maybe because windows doesn't come with the codec? Your system appears to be picking it up.
Brian W. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Dawkins View Post

Stuart, I'd be interested to see what a Microsoft utility named graphedit says about your .m2ts files. I'm wondering if your computer came with PowerDVD or some other piece of software that has a decent AVC decoder.

More on graphedit here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GraphEdit
Paul Hruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hruska View Post
Stuart, I'd be interested to see what a Microsoft utility named graphedit says about your .m2ts files. I'm wondering if your computer came with PowerDVD or some other piece of software that has a decent AVC decoder.

More on graphedit here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GraphEdit

+1, if you have an AVCHD decoder already installed on your PC (like coreAVC) WMP may be using that....can anyone else with HF10 files try this?
Amit Mantri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #8
New Boot

I have an HF100 and installed the Pixela software that came with it. I can tell you that installation didn't do anything in terms of the default AVC encoder my PC uses. I have Vegas Pro 8 installed which I believe registers a MainConcept Decoder. That was the default until I installed CoreAVC and made it the default. When I recently uninstalled CoreAVC due to the Haali media splitter interfering with Pixela the MainConcept decoder became the default again.

One thing I find strange is that the included Pixela Player does a great job of playing back AVCHD. Maybe they install a decoding codec but it's dedicated to the Pixela video player itself?
Paul Hruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The only way WMP is going to play back AVCHD is if there's a DirectShow codec registered with the system. Out of the box - in other words without any non-Microosft software - it won't play back AVCHD.
David Sayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #10
Major Player

My friend has a HF10. The included player shows very ugly colors!

Mediaplayer Classic play the files with Coreavc filter, but without audio.
Why? AC3filter is also installed, and listed on the used MPC filter.
thx
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Tourist

Why struggle with WMP11

I see no reason to struggle to get wmp11 to work when you can simply download one of a host of free avchd players from various providers. You can download free avchd player everywhere on the web lately. The mirillis website is back up and running with a new avchd player called splash which I'm using and it works great!
John De Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #12
Tourist

my Windows Media Player playes MTS files without any alterations. I'm on Windows 7
Tim Szczesniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #13
Trustee

I use WMP to view files from my HF10 - but it must be picking up on the codec that's already in the system I guess.
Anyway, it's must smoother playing than with the player software that Canon bundled with the camera...
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #14
Major Player

I got the K-Lite CoDec pack that includes ffdshow and MPC HomeCinema Version. My WMP 11 plays all sorts of AVCHD, AVC and MOV video with it.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #15
Major Player

Mirillis Oxygen Splash Beta 2 is a Great AVCHD/AVC Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Jager View Post
I see no reason to struggle to get wmp11 to work when you can simply download one of a host of free avchd players from various providers. You can download free avchd player everywhere on the web lately. The mirillis website is back up and running with a new avchd player called splash which I'm using and it works great!

John, thanks so much for giving the tip on that Mirillis Oxygen Splash Beta 2 player. It's only 3 days old in the Beta 2 version. It works better than I'd have imagined and does have WMP 11 beat for color, brightness and smoothness on AVCHD and AVC. It's just the thing for Sony HX1 and Webbie HD videos, as well as those from AVCHD camcorders.

Not all the features work yet, but maybe later. I had to go to Settings under Video and check the box on, for Hardware Acceleration, to get it to work (Vista Only). You exit fullscreen by doing a double left-click. I had to do a right-click on a video file and then on Open With, then browse down in the lower list of playing programs to first find it and activate it. It stalls when you try to play an MOV or WMV video and some others, so it's best to stick with AVCHD and AVC with it.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders