FCP splitting clips from HV20! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 10th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP splitting clips from HV20!

Why does it split the clips when I import it in final cut 6? How do I prevent FCP from doing this automatically?

This is a bummer because I have to check cadence on every clip in AE for de-interlacing and I just want to Interpret footage once.

Thanks!
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm not sure of this, but maybe this could be avoided (next time) if you stripe your tape first (record it black with lens cap on). Then when FCP imports it won't try to be smart and break up into clips.
Brandon Svec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow - I really have to black encode the tape before I use it in a HV-20? Can someone else confirm this?
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Major Player

In the HDV capture window in FCP there is a an option to break up clips using stop/start detection. Make sure this is turned off.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Svec View Post
I'm not sure of this, but maybe this could be avoided (next time) if you stripe your tape first (record it black with lens cap on). Then when FCP imports it won't try to be smart and break up into clips.
I don't think that's the case because this isn't an issue of timecode breaks (where there's some kind of skipped frame in the TC), it's an issue of scene breaks (the camera being stopped and started). I believe it is something inherent to the way that FCP deals with HDV & I do not think you can change this, at least with FCP5
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Major Player

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301715

Quote:
When you capture HDV footage, Final Cut Pro can automatically create new clips and corresponding media files each time it detects a scene or timecode break. This behavior is slightly different from the way it handles DV footage.

When you capture DV, Final Cut Pro can detect scene breaks after capture if you select the clip and choose Mark > DV Start/Stop Detect.

When you capture HDV, Final Cut Pro automatically generates a new media file at the point of each scene break.

Not quite the same question, but contains a couple comments from 2006 which might be relevant, but might NOT be relevant with FCS2
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=76347

Quote:
"do you have scene detection turned off? please turn it on and your problem will be fixed."
Quote:
"Actually, turning off scene detection doesn't help. I had the same problem for a while. Checked with Apple, checked with JVC. Both acknowledged that it's an issue with the way the TC blips when you start/stop the camera. Neither really presented a solution."
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm still getting this issue. Can someone else verify that everytime you digitize in FCP 6 that the HV20's clips are split every time the record button is hit? Is this a preset?

Thanks,
-C
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Christopher

I have a HV30, and maybe it encodes tape differently than the HV20 or interacts differently with FCP6.

On a recent road trip, I not only did a lot of stop/start recording, but also off/on over the course of several hours to fill a 63 minute tape. I used both Capture Now and Log&Capture and didn't get any of the splits you describe.

In fact, I had the opposite problem you have. Under the Log & Capture "Clip Settings" tab, I tried the 'Create new clip on Start/Stop' feature, and I couldn't get it to work. For the type of tourist shooting I was doing, that feature would have been perfect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders