DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   time lapse vs the sun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/119147-time-lapse-vs-sun.html)

Loren Lewis April 11th, 2008 01:01 PM

time lapse vs the sun

I just saw a beautiful time lapse clip of a sunset (taken with an HV20 in photo mode), and the clip began while the sun was still bright.

I've ordered an intervalometer and am considering trying to do something like that with my HV20 but I'm concerned that pointing it at the bright sun for any extended period of time could be harmful to the sensor.

Can anyone here address this issue?

Moayad Hassan April 13th, 2008 06:17 PM

Since it's been done before then it can't be that bad, can it?

:p

At dusk the sun is not that bright so it won't be harmful to the sensor. If you want to be safe use an ND filter... or at least a UV filter.

David Garvin April 13th, 2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loren Lewis (Post 858426)
I just saw a beautiful time lapse clip of a sunset (taken with an HV20 in photo mode), and the clip began while the sun was still bright.

I've ordered an intervalometer and am considering trying to do something like that

Is there some kind of intravalometer for the HV20? Or are you rigging a mount or something so it will push the photo button?

John Miller April 13th, 2008 08:56 PM

Here's a sunrise I recorded in Zanzibar in 1995 with a Video8 camcorder that had next to no manual controls:

http://www.enosoft.net/videos/ZanzibarSunrise.wmv

I just set it on the tripod and let it record...

Loren Lewis April 13th, 2008 10:57 PM

Yes. there is a company in Scotland that makes them and will ship to the USA.
The HV20 required a special order via email , but they didn't charge extra and air shipped it the day after I ordered.

I haven't received it yet, but I know of at least one individual who is quite pleased with the one he received.

I believe it works via IR. It's small box that must be attached/aimed at the front of the HV20 via rubber bands/velcro etc.

Chris Coulson April 14th, 2008 02:50 AM

Could someone mention what an intravalometer is please?

ahh well, I looked it up, and the 5th link down was this thread! :-)

David Garvin April 14th, 2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loren Lewis (Post 859715)
Yes. there is a company in Scotland that makes them and will ship to the USA.

Can you be more specific?

Loren Lewis April 14th, 2008 06:11 PM

Yes..sorry..I should have posted the specifics when you first asked. The URL: http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/
I found their site a bit confusing, but the email exchanges were quick and easy to understand.

For the HV20, you want to order the "gentLED-AUTO" and because it's a special build you need to email them separately and tell them it's to actuate the HV20 photo button.

The special order didn't cost any extra. (38.95 euro = $62.88 US includes shipping).

I ordered mine Wed April 9, and it arrived at my house in Connecticut today at noon (Monday April 14).

It's much smaller and lighter than I expected, easy to hold in place with Velcro, and seems to be working quite well.

Right now it's banging out pictures at the rate of 1 every 3 secs, on my first sunset test.

David Garvin April 14th, 2008 08:53 PM

Thanks Loren.

Quote:

Right now it's banging out pictures at the rate of 1 every 3 secs, on my first sunset test
So what kind of timing range can you set? And how do you set it, the pics only show the small box or the led with wires coming out of it. Does the glentLED-AUTO have a dial you can use to set the fps or does it use some other method.

Thanks

Loren Lewis April 14th, 2008 10:32 PM

Timing can run from 3 second to 4 min intervals. It came set at 3 seconds and I haven't tried to change it yet. You increase the interval it by turning a small screw on the outside of the box - one turn/second until you reach 20-30 seconds. For longer intervals, you need to open the case, and change a 'link', according to their instructions.

The gentLED-AUTO is just the box. No wires coming out of it or anything else. That was one of the things that confused me also.

Rick Diaz April 14th, 2008 11:08 PM

Keep in mind that this device will not eliminate the risk of damage from direct sunlight. The risk comes from the concentration of light by the lens on the inside of the camera, much like when you were a kid burning paper (or ants) with a magnifying glass. With this device the lens guard would be open continuously and the chance of melting something inside the camera with sufficient sunlight is still possible. Although, shooting sunrises/sunsets the risk is minimal since the sun is not at full strength and the light is more indirect and filtered by more of the atmosphere.

Bert Na April 14th, 2008 11:13 PM

It sounds like it's acting as a remote triggering device. One question: Are you shooting in video mode or capturing still shots, which is what I suspect you're doing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loren Lewis (Post 860642)
...The gentLED-AUTO is just the box. No wires coming out of it or anything else. That was one of the things that confused me also.

Rick Diaz April 14th, 2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bert Na (Post 860652)
It sounds like it's acting as a remote triggering device. One question: Are you shooting in video mode or capturing still shots, which is what I suspect you're doing?

From his first post: "I just saw a beautiful time lapse clip of a sunset (taken with an HV20 in photo mode), and the clip began while the sun was still bright."

I'm guessing he's doing the same.

Bert Na April 15th, 2008 01:33 AM

Thanks, Rick for pointing out the comment. I find that time lapse videos made from still shots tend to appear jerky unless you can shoot at relatively long exposure times to blur the motion from one frame to the next.

Andrew Davies April 15th, 2008 02:17 AM

You need to use something like GBdeflicker which is a plugin for Adobe After Effects.

Andy Davies