HV30 sony tape playback and vs. Sony HC9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV30 sony tape playback and vs. Sony HC9

I'm making the tough choice right now between purchasing an Sony HC9 or a HV30. I'll be shooting a lot indoors so I'm definitely leaning towards the HV30 since it sounds like it's significantly better in low light.

That being said, I have a Sony FX1, so it would be a huge benefit for me to be able to use a little camera as a tapedeck rather than hooking up my giant FX1 to my computer all the time to upload video.

So my questions is:

Would the hv30 be able to playback and upload my video shot on my Sony FX1?

Also,

Is it a fact that HV30 is significantly better in low light than the Sony HC9?

I'm personally not concerned about the 24 p mode since I'll be shooting at video rather than film speeds.

Thanks for answers from a video guru around here.

Michael
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Trustee

You won't have any issues as long as you use the same brand of tape to record and playback with.
I use 2 FX1's for event work and capture with a Canon HV20 with no issues. I have always used standard Sony Excellence mini DV tape. The HV20 will give you the same results as the HV20.

And besides being a good alternative for tape capture, it also makes a great personal camera.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't have problems capturing Z1 shots from HV30 no matter what brand tape I used. Panasonic, Maxell, TDK. And those are plain miniDV recorded as HDV not anything expensive.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM   #4
New Boot

Michael,

Will the HV30 downconvert HDV footage from a Z1/FX1 (just like those cams will)...?

Thanks,

Lee
Lee Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Thomas View Post
Michael,

Will the HV30 downconvert HDV footage from a Z1/FX1 (just like those cams will)...?

Thanks,

Lee
I don't use the HV30, but rather HV20, but they are virtually identical.
The answer is yes, you can capture and downconvert footage form the FX1/Z1, as long as you don't shoot in the Sony CineFrame mode.
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Barrette View Post
I'm making the tough choice right now between purchasing an Sony HC9 or a HV30. I'll be shooting a lot indoors so I'm definitely leaning towards the HV30 since it sounds like it's significantly better in low light.

That being said, I have a Sony FX1, so it would be a huge benefit for me to be able to use a little camera as a tapedeck rather than hooking up my giant FX1 to my computer all the time to upload video.

So my questions is:

Would the hv30 be able to playback and upload my video shot on my Sony FX1?

Also,

Is it a fact that HV30 is significantly better in low light than the Sony HC9?

I'm personally not concerned about the 24 p mode since I'll be shooting at video rather than film speeds.

Thanks for answers from a video guru around here.

Michael
Playback shoudl be compatible - I swapped tapes between Z1, FX7, HC7, HC1 and an HV20 when testing them side by side briefly... no problems I could see.

Low light... hmm, the HC9 improved on the HC7, which was pretty close to the HV20 in "real world" situations, neither is spectacular, but with a small add on light, either is usable in most situations. The image from the HC9 is more likely going to be a closer match to your FX1 - the Canon had a different look about it, not necessarily better or worse, just different (although I wasn't that happy with vibrant reds with the Canon without a bit of fiddling).

HTH
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Downconverting w/ the HV30

"I don't use the HV30, but rather HV20, but they are virtually identical.
The answer is yes, you can capture and downconvert footage form the FX1/Z1, as long as you don't shoot in the Sony CineFrame mode."

Is it safe to assume then that the HV30 also effectively downconverts (in-camera) HDV/24f shot on an A1 for SD capture?
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I did have one dropout I did not experience on my HC7 on the HV30. The two's heads are aligned differently, so I also had trouble seeking (REW/FF) through HC7 footage on the HV30 most likely due to the head alignment.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:42 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Kinda of old post, but i'm in the same situation and i am looking between HV30, HV40 and the HC9

Primarily i want it as a HDV deck to transport the tapes to the PC. It will serve as a back up or as a second camera (when something light is needed)

The camera i use now is the Sony Z5

So, is anything changed in favor of th HC9 or should i stick to everyones favorite HV30 / 40?
Stefanos Lampridis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanos Lampridis View Post
Kinda of old post, but i'm in the same situation and i am looking between HV30, HV40 and the HC9

Primarily i want it as a HDV deck to transport the tapes to the PC. It will serve as a back up or as a second camera (when something light is needed)

The camera i use now is the Sony Z5

So, is anything changed in favor of th HC9 or should i stick to everyones favorite HV30 / 40?

Me I was faithful to sony since a 2100 i had, that only went 13 months before the color going and that and all the sony cams [4] since have given poor servise, i have a HV30 and like it a lot i also have a fx7 which is a second replacement but it is far more prone to dropouts and it is still fairly low mileage.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Martyn!
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I cannot make my mind.... :(

With the HC9 i will have a more "family" look when par with the Z5

Canon seems to be everyones favorite on the other hand...

On the price they have a 100euro difference here (GR) witch is next to nothing actually.
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #13
Inner Circle

While the Canon is a poular favorite, you can't fault the build quality of the HC9, the audio being at least usable without augmentation, although the HV30's can be had pretty cheap in the US and the HC's are hard to find.

The HC9 isn't a bad camera by any means, especially if you need a small cam for a deck for other Sony cameras. One other consideration is if you need a LANC/cabled remote, only Sony has it.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
Me I was faithful to sony since a 2100 i had, that only went 13 months before the color going and that and all the sony cams [4] since have given poor servise, i have a HV30 and like it a lot i also have a fx7 which is a second replacement but it is far more prone to dropouts and it is still fairly low mileage.
Plus its picture quality is better than my previous sonys 2100, hc1 ,fx 7[ still have one ]and sr12.
and none gave more than two years [sr sold]and the fx is dying now.

Last edited by Martyn Hull; July 29th, 2009 at 04:27 AM.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #15
Regular Crew

This was some useful input guys, thanks a lot. I think i will actually go for the Sony.

My previous small cam was also a Sony, the PC-120E. Excellent cam, it just failed (dropouts) after a good run over the years...
Stefanos Lampridis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders