Canon HF10 Review - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 29th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eskin View Post
What missing SDHC slot? Aren't the HF10 and HF100 the same? The HF10 definitely has a slot, otherwise, I just put my 16 GB card in a very bad place... :-)
I meant missing built-in 16GB solid state.
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalee Isa View Post
Can the Rode VideoMic be attached to the HF-10 hot shoe? Anyone has any picture to show? Thanks.
I made my own adaptor from parts that I found in the hardware store. Below is a picture (the mic is not plugged in).

Basically, I put a metric hex (M5) bolt upside down inside the show, a washer on top within the shoe, the same washer on top outside of the shoe, and tightened it with a metric M5 bolt. Next, I was sliding a plastic spacer over it (white plastic), the standard mic holder of my AT Pro24 mic on top, and a washer and a metric M5 nut on top of the mic clip to secure the mic clip. It's rock solid and cost me around $3 total.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon HF10 Review-hf10_mic_1.jpg  
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Asso View Post
Stefan,

if you use PS11 ...
Well, I work on a Mac, so PS11 is no option.
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosky View Post
Wouldn't the difference between a 2.4GHz and 2.66GHz processor just make editing run about 11% slower? Why would it cause you to not be able to edit 1920x1080 at all? Does the software actually check your processor speed and refuse to run if it is below 2.66GHz?
When I drop the first 1920x1080 clip on the timeline I get a warning message, "not enough graphics memory to edit 1920x1080". I have 256MB on an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT separate graphics display card.

The error message we get doesn't always refer to the correct error. Pinnacle has stated specifically that editing 1920x1080 with their software would require a quad core processor at 2.66GHz at the minimum.

I can actually edit and play it on the timeline, but rendering to any format results in unplayable garbage.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Immler View Post
Hi Lorenzo --

I can make any shots that you want and post them on VIMEO. This offer is also true to all members here ... if you need me to film something special you had in mind, just let me know.

I believe they are both the same, apart from the (missing) SDHD slot and the different color.

I am starting to get ready to shoot my first documentary: I got my camcorder (HF10), an external mic (AT 24Pro), an extra 5h battery, a Cokin filter holder with a bunch of filters, a Gitzo tripod with fluid head, and a Manfrotto monopod. Ready to roll! :-)
so...we'll wait for your documentary ! :-)

about shoots: i would like something about panning, for example following a car during fast movements (both 60i and progressive mode)....or some shoots for example about a basket match indoor with artificial lights...ore something similar that you like...just 30" for each clip is enough.. (and pls, if you can, i would prefer your clip as they shoot at 17mbit maximum quality from your camera, avoiding to pass from vimeo, to better evalute their quality).

many many thanks in advance!

ciao!
Lorenzo Asso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #36
New Boot

Quote:
It's rock solid and cost me around $3 total.
Cool! I guess I don't mind going to the hardware store soon and look around! Will update on my findings.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #37
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
I can actually edit and play it on the timeline, but rendering to any format results in unplayable garbage.
Bruce,

I don't see how that can be due to your CPU speed. There is nothing real-time about rendering edited AVCHD content that would require the CPU to "keep up" to produce a proper image. Pinnacle "requires" a particular speed because anything below it will not provide adequate user experience during editing, that's all.

I have an Atlhon X2 6000+, and Radeon X1950 -- definitely a step down from you -- and I have no problems editing and rendering 1920x1080 AVCHD.
Stan Sokorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #38
Trustee

Stan, what software are you using?

All I have to go on is the info provided by Pinnacle and the discussions on the topic on their forums.

I'm open to a change if I can afford it.
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #39
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Stan, what software are you using?

All I have to go on is the info provided by Pinnacle and the discussions on the topic on their forums.
Bruce, sorry I wasn't clear -- this is on Studio 11. 1920x1080 from my HF100 edits and renders just fine on my system. I wouldn't say it's screaming fast, but it's certainly quite workable. Previewing effects in real-time is slow, but it works.

The main point, though, is that the CPU speed can't make any AVCHD editing work or not work -- it can just make it comfortable or painfully slow. You need to figure out what is causing the "not enough graphics memory" error and eliminate that, and then you should be fine.

How much system memory do you have? Do you have lots of room on your swap drive? Do you have a large enough pagefile? Are you using Vista or XP? (Vista can be a memory hog -- try disabling all Aero effects maybe?). Do you have the latest graphics drivers?

Of course, it's possible that the software is looking at the CPU model number and simply refusing to work if it isn't what it wants, but I'd be very surprised to see that. The fact that you get garbled output makes me think that it is indeed running out of memory somewhere, or something in your installation is corrupted.
Stan Sokorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Cinema Mode

Here is again the comparison between the standard AE (left) and the "cinema" mode (right). I like the colors and reduced contrast of the cinema mode much more, so the sky is not washed out, and there is more detail in the shadows.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon HF10 Review-60i_24p.jpg  
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Here is again the comparison between the standard AE (left) and the "cinema" mode (right). I like the colors and reduced contrast of the cinema mode much more, so the sky is not washed out, and there is more detail in the shadows.
Would P-spotlight have helped 60i mode on the left?
Brian W. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Here's how the HF10 looks like with a Cokin Series A filter holder and an AT Pro24 stereo microphone.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon HF10 Review-hf10_small.jpg  
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Asso View Post
i would like something about panning, for example following a car during fast movements (both 60i and progressive mode)
Here ya go:

60i:
http://www.vimeo.com/960647

30p:
http://www.vimeo.com/960652

24p:
http://www.vimeo.com/960659

The clips are very short, so better loop them. Note that they are 1280x720 resolution. When I try to create full resolution 1920x1080, the rendered files stutter.

Workflow:
HF10 in AE mode -> export of files to iMovie 08 -> added title in iMovie -> "Share" -> "Export using Quicktime" (Compression full quality, frame time either 60, 30, or 24)
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Sokorac View Post

You need to figure out what is causing the "not enough graphics memory" error and eliminate that, and then you should be fine.

How much system memory do you have? Do you have lots of room on your swap drive? Do you have a large enough pagefile? Are you using Vista or XP? (Vista can be a memory hog -- try disabling all Aero effects maybe?). Do you have the latest graphics drivers?
Stan, you got me pointed in the right direction. I increased the size of the pagefile and that got rid of the error warning. Then I rendered the same test clips that wouldn't render previously to an AVCHD file and then to a hi def MPEG4 file.

Both played great. So I thank you for your analysis and suggestions. I'll reset the cam to 1920x1080 and run more tests. This is just in time as I'll be spending most of the weekend at Ft. Chadbourne (an old Texas fort that the Chadbourne Ranch landowner is restoring) doing video of the annual event held there. Period re-enactors including cavalry, buffalo hunters, traders, minstrel show and more.

Thanks again.
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #45
Regular Crew

OK, here's a nice trick on the HF10...

Try using Night mode combined with the black/white digital effect and manually reduce the exposure a few steps... very nice for certain applications. The chroma noise from the gain up turns to a lower level luma noise, which gets reduced even more by reducing the exposure, you end up with a really nice looking monochrome night shot for that "covert video" look... I think this is more useful to me than just the straight Night mode. I'll try and post something on Vimeo.

Michael
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders