Canon HF10 Review - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 1st, 2008, 12:01 AM   #46
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Stan, you got me pointed in the right direction. I increased the size of the pagefile and that got rid of the error warning.
Awesome, I'm glad that it worked! I look forward to seeing some of those Ft. Chadbourne videos! :)
Stan Sokorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:41 AM   #47
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Immler View Post
Here's how the HF10 looks like with a Cokin Series A filter holder and an AT Pro24 stereo microphone.
Stefan, your rig look CUTE, seriously! I like it. Well done.
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:30 AM   #48
Regular Crew

On page files; I have been told to set page files at double my RAM, so if you have 1 Gig of RAM the page file would be set at 2048 MB (2 gigs) up to the maximum (windows XP) of 4096 MB (4 gigs) I have done this but it does not seem to make much difference. Also to set both minimum and maximum at the same value.
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM   #49
Regular Crew

My HF100 arrived yesterday from B&H (you wouldn't believe the price!).

One thing I'd like to mention is that it's not as silver looking as the pics on Canon's website. It's more of a smokey grey -- looks classy.

I haven't had a chance to do any outdoor shooting yet since I woke up to 5 inches of snow on the ground, and it's still coming down.
Paul Chiappini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:53 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Congrats, Paul! Looking forward to your clips!
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:30 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiappini View Post
My HF100 arrived yesterday from B&H (you wouldn't believe the price!).

One thing I'd like to mention is that it's not as silver looking as the pics on Canon's website. It's more of a smokey grey -- looks classy.

I haven't had a chance to do any outdoor shooting yet since I woke up to 5 inches of snow on the ground, and it's still coming down.
totally diverging here: Does anyone know the full story of B&H and their 'holidays'?

to close up for 2-3 weeks in APril???waz up with that?!
Brian W. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:23 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
totally diverging here: Does anyone know the full story of B&H and their 'holidays'?

to close up for 2-3 weeks in APril???waz up with that?!
They are Jewish orthodox, so they close for all of the major holidays on the Hebrew calendar. Their recent closing was for Passover, which traditionally lasts 8 days. Most years, Passover occurs closer to Easter, so it seemed out of place this year. They also don't accept orders on Saturday (Sabbath) since you're not supposed to earn money during that time.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:57 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosky View Post
They are Jewish orthodox, so they close for all of the major holidays on the Hebrew calendar. Their recent closing was for Passover, which traditionally lasts 8 days. Most years, Passover occurs closer to Easter, so it seemed out of place this year. They also don't accept orders on Saturday (Sabbath) since you're not supposed to earn money during that time.
Thanks for the explanation! that fills in the blanks.

Done lots of business there with my Canon lenses shopping and HG10 accessories...
Brian W. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
Thanks for the explanation! that fills in the blanks.

Done lots of business there with my Canon lenses shopping and HG10 accessories...
Yeah - a little off topic, but I've been buying stuff from them for close to 20 years and although they've never had the absolute lowest prices, they've always had great customer service. I've only received a few defective items over the years, but I've never had any problems exchanging them, even when the defect was sort of nebulous like "the image sharpness isn't quite as good as it should be in the lower left corner of the image". I'll pay a few extra $ for the better customer service.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:13 PM   #55
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Immler View Post
Here's how the HF10 looks like with a Cokin Series A filter holder and an AT Pro24 stereo microphone.
Can any 37mm lens hood, fit the HF-10? I found some on the internet (both squared and round shaped).

I don't see any other hood brand that is available for this camera, except for Stefan's Cokin Series A filter holder + hood.

Can anyone share, with pictures?
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #56
Regular Crew

HF100 color rendition...

Spent some time shooting some family events this weekend. While at it, I shot some colorful objects. I used some of the white balance presets (not AWB) and manual WB. With the exception of some mixed-lighting situations, color was spot on -- including red.
Paul Chiappini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #57
Regular Crew

I was testing the HF10 under "real world" conditions yesterday and tried to shoot some footage of drummers in a park. Below is a link to the clip. I am toying with the idea of making a documentary about the roots of jazz and thought that this could be a good start.

Everything was shot with a 24p frame rate and in 'cinema' mode and automatic controls. Audio is from the camera-mounted AT Pro24 stereo mic, which I think does a pretty good job. Anyway, just have a look and let me know what you think. Please keep in mind that VIMEO substantially degraded the quality of the footage, so the actual shots look WAY better. Unfortunately, the 3-min clip occupies more than 1 GB of disk space in full resolution, so clearly, I cannot upload the high resolution version.

http://www.vimeo.com/980003
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #58
Major Player

Does the camera have f-stops on the LCD? Does the camera have zebra pattern?
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Tori View Post
Does the camera have f-stops on the LCD? Does the camera have zebra pattern?
The camera can display the f-number, and that can be manually controlled. I don't remember if it's shown all the time or not.

I can't find any information on zebra striping.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #60
Obstreperous Rex

No zebras. When shooting in Tv (shutter priority) mode, you can view which f/stop the camera chooses by pressing the photo button halfway. You can lock that exposure (and adjust it up or down a couple of stops) by pressing the Exposure Lock option with the joystick.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders