Canon HF10 Review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #16
New Boot

Thanks for your review Stefan.

Note that cinema mode is not limited to the 24p frame rate. You can use it with 30p and 60i also. Might be worth experimenting with other frame rates to see what you like best. 24p is likely to show jumpy movement due to the low frame rate, so I personally wouldn't want to use it as my default shooting mode.

Some of your clips do illustrate a fairly common issue with the HF10/100 - they tend to blow the highlights when capturing in 60i full auto. I plan to experiment with cinema mode and/or contrast -1 to see if I can reduce that tendency.
Bob Kittleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eskin View Post
The most recent updates to Cineform HDV that are optimized for use with CoreAVC really have made it very simple and predictable for me to use the HF10 with my workflow.
Michael,

I looked at some of the video you had linked from your ad on the HDC SD1 and both it and this look great.

I'm curious, what is your workflow?

I'm using Pinnacle Studio 11 plus but my new computer's processor seems to fall just a tad short on handling 1920x1080 from the HF100. Quad core Q6600 at 2.40GHz when that hi def requires 2.66 minimum in Pinnacle. So I have to set the cam for 1440x1080 at 13MBps and then I can edit and render.

I may need to look at other software and see what the budget will handle.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
I'm using Pinnacle Studio 11 plus but my new computer's processor seems to fall just a tad short on handling 1920x1080 from the HF100. Quad core Q6600 at 2.40GHz when that hi def requires 2.66 minimum in Pinnacle. So I have to set the cam for 1440x1080 at 13MBps and then I can edit and render.
Wouldn't the difference between a 2.4GHz and 2.66GHz processor just make editing run about 11% slower? Why would it cause you to not be able to edit 1920x1080 at all? Does the software actually check your processor speed and refuse to run if it is below 2.66GHz?
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #19
Regular Crew

At least on my system, I found that the decoders that worked fine for transcoding AVCHD at 1440x1080 resolution didn't work for 1920x1080, so before I bought the HF10, I spent a lot of time making sure that between Cineform HDV and CoreAVC, I could actually create intermediate files starting with the 1920x1080 source, even if they are downsampled to 1440x1080 by Cineform. There is enough of a quality difference between the 12 Mb/sec and 17 Mb/sec that even after downsampling the 17 Mb/sec streams are much better.
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Can someone recommend an editing software for the HF10 AVCHD footage on a Mac? I wanted to get Final Cut, but it seems that it cannot handle 24p frame rates and the full resolution 1920x1080 AVCHD footage (only 1440x1080). Also, what software would give me color corrections for a "film-like" look?

Thanks!
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Stefan,

if you use PS11, you could be very satisfied about differents "film look" presets by vitascene prodad effect. it is very very slow (since not optimized for quad) but the result is superb.
if you give me 1920x1080@17mbit shoot as it comes from the camera i can provide you a little sample. :-)

about the need to provide a 1440x1080 13mbit to your pc to be able to edit, it sounds me very strange.
i have q6600 (overcloked) too and i use both ps11 and premiere 3.2 and i have no problems to edit 1920x1080 clip at high bitrate.
(i believe it is too much important that you start from the maximum quality that you can, even if your final work should be in SD).

PS Since it is firm that HV20 it has some limits in particular conditions as for example panning, panoramic shoots and in general about shoots with many movements, would kindly try to get some shoots with your HF in similar conditions ? (both 60i and progressive function). So you can help me and not only, to know if it is a CMOS limit or HDV problem...

PPS The difference from your camera compared to HF100 it is only the presence of 16gb internal flash memory in HF10 ?

Thanks in advance.

ciao!
Lorenzo Asso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I picked up an A-Data 16 GB Class 6 card at Fry's last night. Its really amazing to think how far we've come just in the last year. I would never imagine that I would be able to own such an amazing device as the HF10, with 32 GB of flash for less than $1000... what would this have cost just 5 years ago?

Its interesting, the HF10 just crosses the "finally, its good enough for my use" line that I've been chasing for a couple of years, starting with the Panasonic SD1 (small, very nicely constructed, but first generation AVCHD quality), to the HV20 (awesome, but tape based and a little big to toss in my piping case), I'm in heaven with the HF10. Sure its not for everyone, and it has some tradeoffs (AVCHD workflow, CMOS sensor, noise at very low light levels), but for my use (primarily very short videos of traditional Irish musicians in somewhat dark venues), I'm really happy.

M
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #23
New Boot

Great Work!

Hi Stefan - glad to see you got the camera. Really appreciate that you took the time to document and share all your findings. Looking forward to seeing more of your videos!

Cheers.
Douglas Figueredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi Lorenzo --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Asso View Post
PS Since it is firm that HV20 it has some limits in particular conditions as for example panning, panoramic shoots and in general about shoots with many movements, would kindly try to get some shoots with your HF in similar conditions ? (both 60i and progressive function). So you can help me and not only, to know if it is a CMOS limit or HDV problem...
I can make any shots that you want and post them on VIMEO. This offer is also true to all members here ... if you need me to film something special you had in mind, just let me know.

Quote:
PPS The difference from your camera compared to HF100 it is only the presence of 16gb internal flash memory in HF10?
I believe they are both the same, apart from the (missing) SDHD slot and the different color.

I am starting to get ready to shoot my first documentary: I got my camcorder (HF10), an external mic (AT 24Pro), an extra 5h battery, a Cokin filter holder with a bunch of filters, a Gitzo tripod with fluid head, and a Manfrotto monopod. Ready to roll! :-)
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eskin View Post
Its interesting, the HF10 just crosses the "finally, its good enough for my use" line that I've been chasing for a couple of years ... I'm really happy.
I feel exactly the same! It also comforts me to know that the features that are missing on the HF10 would cost me two grand more (which I don't have), so the HF10 is the natural choice at this point in my life.
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #26
Regular Crew

What missing SDHC slot? Aren't the HF10 and HF100 the same? The HF10 definitely has a slot, otherwise, I just put my 16 GB card in a very bad place... :-)
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #27
New Boot

Can the Rode VideoMic be attached to the HF-10 hot shoe? Anyone has any picture to show? Thanks.
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #28
Regular Crew

No, not unless someone has an adapter that would step up the proprietary mini-shoe to a standard size. I could use one of those as well!
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #29
New Boot

Alas... I found a solution!

But I guess it's a little pricey.. but what the heck ;)

http://shop.dm-accessories.com/products/cms-flat

Thanks for the input!
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #30
New Boot

Or maybe we can make one of these. Just came up with an idea...
Attached Thumbnails
Canon HF10 Review-hf10-rode-rig.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders