HV20 NTSC model - ok for UK use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Major Player

HV20 NTSC model - ok for UK use?

Hi, need some help please

i have been offered a japanese model hv20, ie, ntsc. will this cause a problem for uk use?

i will shoot 1080i and 24p - capture into Sony Vegas pro 8 via f/wire - and render to DVD PAL for uk consumption. i never hook-up the camera direct to a monitor/lcd.

(i will have 1080i hdv footage from a Sony V1 as well on the Vegas timeline)

I believe none of this matters to Vegas as it can handle multiple formats on the timeline??

thanks much for any help
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:38 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif Choudhry View Post
Hi, need some help please

i have been offered a japanese model hv20, ie, ntsc. will this cause a problem for uk use?

i will shoot 1080i and 24p - capture into Sony Vegas pro 8 via f/wire - and render to DVD PAL for uk consumption. i never hook-up the camera direct to a monitor/lcd.

(i will have 1080i hdv footage from a Sony V1 as well on the Vegas timeline)

I believe none of this matters to Vegas as it can handle multiple formats on the timeline??

thanks much for any help
I have a US NTSC HV20 in the UK. And I am very happy with it. I use it in 24p mode.

Once you capture, reverse-telecine , and edit your film you will have a HDTV master in 24p. The Reverse-Telecine step is tougher with the NTSC model.

The real question is - what do you want to do with it now? You can happily view it on a computer, or convert it to film without doing anything.

If you want to make a standard-def DVD. Or have your movie readied for broadcast TV. You may want to change the 24p to 25p by speeding it up a little.

I tried to do this a couple of times, but found it awkward. I also just made a DVD by dragging the 24p master into the DVD authoring software. The resulting DVD looked great.

If part of your profession is to produce lots of 50i 25p material for broadcast, you would find the PAL model better. If you are making films for fun then the NTSC model is fine.

Glyn
Glyn Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Glyn thanks

So with 24p mode no problem. capture into vegas, edit, render as a PAL stream and then burn to dvd using Dvd architect.

With 1080i mode, tell vegas its an ntsc capture
(it should do the hard work) , edit, render as a PAL stream and burn to dvd.

Good to hear you have no issues with camera.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders