DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HG10 Help needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/122604-hg10-help-needed.html)

Len Rosenberg May 28th, 2008 06:04 PM

HG10 Help needed

Here's the problem: the a/c power input jack has come loose inside the camera, so I can't connect the external power source. When I try to transfer files from the camera to the computer, the camera states on screen "connect a/c power". Apparently, the camera is designed to prevent transferring or copying files to a computer using only the camera's battery power. Of course I can send it for repair, but that will take 10 days at least and I need to get the files off the camera and into the computer in the next couple of days (it is for my son's school project and of course it is due imminently!). Does anyone know if there is a workaround or way to defeat the a/c power adapter requirement ? Thanks.
Len

Chris Hurd May 28th, 2008 06:23 PM

Sorry but there is no real alternative except to send it in to Canon factory service.

Robert Loncaric May 28th, 2008 07:50 PM

Have you tried copying the files internally to a SD card and then using the card to transfer files to your computer with a card reader? You can copy clips from the internal memory to an SD card without having to plug it in.

Len Rosenberg May 28th, 2008 08:03 PM

Thanks, that's a great idea. How do you transfer to the SD card? Also, I bought a mini SD card but it doesn't seem to fit in the slot. Not sure if there is more than one size of mini SD card. Thanks for any help!
Len

Robert Loncaric May 28th, 2008 08:09 PM

The camera takes a full size SD card. You will need at least a class 4 SDHC card with enough space to hold the videos you've shot.

Page 60 of the manual goes into how to copy the scenes. You basically select the scene you want, hit {function} and then copy if I remember right.

Len Rosenberg May 28th, 2008 08:22 PM

Thanks Robert. The camera does take a mini SD card, the one I have was in an adapter, which is why it didn't fit. Out of the adapter, and it fits fine. But page 60 of the manual has nothing about copying files to the SD card. I looked through the entire manual and it only mentions recording still images to the SD card. But I'll try the steps you recall.
Len

Len Rosenberg May 28th, 2008 08:34 PM

Those steps didn't work. Selecting the scene then hitting funtion only adds the scene to a playlist. There is no "copy" option. I'll keep looking but if you can recall anything else let me know. Thanks so much for trying to help.
Len

Bruce Foreman May 28th, 2008 08:38 PM

Robert may be thinking HF10 instead of HG10. The HF10 takes SDHC cards and allows copying files from the internal memory to the cards.

Sorry, but it looks like you have no choice but to send it to Canon. You might call them, explain the situation and the desperate need and see if they will give it one day turnaround and overnight shipping back to you if you overnight it to them.

Len Rosenberg May 28th, 2008 08:42 PM

Oh well, thanks all for trying and for responding so quickly. This is a great forum.
Len

Chris Hurd May 29th, 2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Loncaric (Post 884796)
Have you tried copying the files internally to a SD card and then using the card to transfer files to your computer with a card reader?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier -- the reason why this won't work is because the Mini SD card in the HG10 can record only still photos, not video clips.

Robert Loncaric May 29th, 2008 05:28 PM

Rats, I did think this was an HF10 thread. Sorry 'bout that!