Recording uncompressed from HDMI output on HV30... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 8th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Recording uncompressed from HDMI output on HV30...

Quick question:

Can I record uncompressed from the HV30 with a video card that has HDMI in? Or will I need component in?

How much of a pain is this and is there any (cheap) product in particular anyone recommends? Anything that works with a laptop or desktop only?

Thanks,

-Matt
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The Blackmagic Intensity... It's only $200.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Major Player

And might I add that the results are spectacular. You don't realize how badly HDV mangles the image until you compare the two.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Does anybody know how I can capture the HDMi signal with my Macbook Pro??
Piet Deyaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Not easily. You'd have to buy an expresscard to pci adapter cage and mount the Intensity in that.

http://www.magma.com/
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wauhkonen View Post
Quick question:

Can I record uncompressed from the HV30 with a video card that has HDMI in? Or will I need component in?

How much of a pain is this and is there any (cheap) product in particular anyone recommends? Anything that works with a laptop or desktop only?

Thanks,

-Matt
Only if you record live material and have at least a 4 disk striped array for storage. If it has been recorded to tape, you only transfer HDV quality, that has already undergone MPEG compression and along the way you lose timecode, date and time stamp and all other metadata, making it unsuitable for editing. Despite the hype, HDMI is not suitable for editors, only for display purposes.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Major Player

There's very little reason to go completely "uncompressed" in this day and age. You can use a decently fast hard drive (even just Firewire) and a modern codec and beat the crap out of HDV. Apple's ProRes, Cineform, and Avid's DNxHD are all good choices depending on your system. In practice, for almost any normal use, they are effectively lossless.
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'll definitely pick up the black magic intensity. $250 is an awesome price.

I'm editing in pro res, so I don't really need full uncompressed quality, but I need the best I can get since I'm doing a ton of effects work and hdv is awful, useless for this particular project. I'm editing on a macbook pro so unfortunately I can't input directly to it. I have an old PC (athlon64) with a free PCI slot I plan to use, but it doen't have a raid array. Could I import cineform or something else in real time and then later convert to prores? Are there cheap near lossless codecs that support real-time import and are cross platform?

I'm shooting everything on set (well, in a mini-set in my garage) so portability is no issue.

Thank again.
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Major Player

Going from PC to Mac is going to be your headache. ;-) Cineform runs on both, but is pretty darn pricy. In fact, to get it for both Mac and PC is more expensive than a Magma expansion box for your MacBook Pro.

If I was going to capture on a PC, I would capture to Black Magic's JPEG codec (a high quality "native" format for the Intensity on both Mac and Windows.) Then depending on your workflow, you would either convert everything to ProRes before editing, or you would just edit the JPEG files and only use ProRes for renders.
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Well, by virtue of price alone I think the answer is the jpeg codec... Thanks for the help. I kind of hate jpeg but I figure it's way better than HDV and will respond well to keying, motion tracking etc., which is all I really need. I'm intercutting with red footage, but thankfully almost everything I have left to shoot is in close up or will look okay a little softer. Thanks again.
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #11
Major Player

JPEG at the highest quality setting should do pretty well. No matter what you do it's 4:2:2 out of HDMI, so it's hard to compare with a 4k RAW file, but you'll be very surprised how close you can match the two.
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure the footage won't look as good as the red, but enough of my red footage is slightly out of focus or underexposed (first time using the camera) that it won't all be perfectly consistent anyhow. The hv30 is impressive enough in hdv; I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do in a non-horrible format.
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
Not easily. You'd have to buy an expresscard to pci adapter cage and mount the Intensity in that.

http://www.magma.com/
Insane price for an enclosure though! Any affordable alternatives???
John Palaganas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Major Player

I don't know of an alternative, though there might be one. I do know that the Magma does work with the MacBook Pro and the Intensity, though.

Remember, it's still a whole h*** of a lot cheaper than an AJA IOHD.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM   #15
Major Player

I've started using an intensity and it's pretty awesome, but I'm having trouble importing footage...

The MJPEG looks pretty bad to me, and my hard drive isn't even fast enough to work with it. Are there any other codecs that are relatively cheap and okay for import? I may set up a two-disk raid array, but I can't afford to do much more than that.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders