DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Big battery (BP-819) for Canon HF-100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/124252-big-battery-bp-819-canon-hf-100-a.html)

Larry Horwitz June 21st, 2008 07:50 PM

Big battery (BP-819) for Canon HF-100

Anybody have an idea where to buy the optional BP-819 high capacity lithium ion battery for the Canon HF-100. They appear to be unavailable / back-ordered at all the web dealers. Is there any truly good alternative from 3rd party battery suppliers?

Thanks for any info or opinions!

Larry

Robert Loncaric June 22nd, 2008 12:13 PM

I noticed Amazon.com has them in stock. It says it will be shipped from Adorama camera, so you can always try them directly.

Unfortunately B&H is out of stock. I know and trust them. Never ordered from Adorama before.

I would love to know about 3rd party batteries. I get the impression from the owner's manual they won't charge through the camera or give an accurate capacity reading. My older Sony was the same way with 3rd party batteries.

Bruce Foreman June 22nd, 2008 02:27 PM

I ordered 2 of the BP 819's at different times through amazon.com. One came from 17th St Photo and the other through NewEgg.

I've had good luck ordering through amazon.com, both of my HF100s came direct from them and of course the batteries from associated sellers. So far I've seen nothing from the 3rd party outfits except possibly some in Hong Kong (which I won't take a chance on).

The 819 is a necessity in my book and I hope eventually the 3rd party outlets like fatgadgets.com and Sterlingtek.com wind up with some that work. But until then I'll pay the about $100 price tag on the Canon BP819's.

Dave Blackhurst June 22nd, 2008 02:34 PM

While the canon are probably more forgiving of non-OEM batteries (Sony makes great effort to lock them out), I always am suspicious of them... YMMV

Adorama is a legit outfit, FWIW. Dealt with them directly several times, they have some nice photo oriented educational things going on. While I think they are more still oriented, probably should see about making them a site sponsor too!

Robert Loncaric June 22nd, 2008 04:00 PM

I bought a bunch of really cheap third-party batteries for my 3-chip Panasonic DVC-30 and they've never given me an ounce of trouble. I'm weary of third-parties for the HF10 though, and I have no idea why.

James Duffy June 23rd, 2008 08:13 AM

For what it's worth, I've been using two 8-hour third-party batteries for my Canon XH-A1 for a year and a half, and I've never had any problems with them. I think at the very worst, the battery just wouldn't last as long as they claim it will, but if you're paying 1/10th of the price, that isn't really a big deal.

Larry Horwitz June 23rd, 2008 08:56 PM

Thanks all for replies. I did find and ordered a BP-819, but not from Amazon. They listed the BP-819 as "In Stock" at Adorama but a call to Adorama confirmed the Adorama website "Back Order" condition which Amazon had not correctly reflected. I am curioious also to see if a 3-rd party version of the BP-819 is available. Have not seen one yet but imagine thios is because the battery is new style, but not entirely sure.

Mike Tedesco June 24th, 2008 11:12 PM

Keep an eye on Newegg

I was luckily able to get one from J&R but they went on backorder quickly. I added myself to the Newegg.com notification for the battery and was able to get a second one before they quickly sold out again. They seem to be getting them regularly.

Thanks,

Mike

Paul Joy June 27th, 2008 09:34 AM

I have an HF100 with a pair of 16Gb cards for family stuff and decided to go with two more of the standard BP-809 batteries as spares. The bigger battery was twice the price but didn't offer twice the run time so it seemed the best option to me.

Plus the smaller batts keep the camera nice and compact.

Paul.