HV20 24p in Final Cut Pro 6.03 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM   #1
New Boot

HV20 24p in Final Cut Pro 6.03

I know there is info. on this all over the place, but I am still baffled by Compressor and Apple's "lack of info. I have followed this document to a "T" (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306389) and every time it spits out a 4x3 image. Now I have tried 2 different settings including "custom 16x9" and changing the pixel size and not changing anything!! No matter what 4x3. So my question is why am I reading that folks are having great success with this tutorial and I'm the kid crying in the corner cause I got picked last to play in the game...

What am I overlooking?!?

Dave
Dave Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Dave,

I was right there with you, no matter what I could not get compressor to remove the pulldown correctly. I finally said "to hell with it" and downloaded JES DeInterlacer and voila! No problems since.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:51 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
Hey Dave,

I was right there with you, no matter what I could not get compressor to remove the pulldown correctly. I finally said "to hell with it" and downloaded JES DeInterlacer and voila! No problems since.
That's what I had to do as well... but again how is it that every one else loves it but you and me have issues?!?! I need counseling!!
Dave Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Guys,

You can add me to the JES list. I do have a workflow question, however (I'm using FCP 6.0.3). I have already captured the footage and now need to batch convert from the browser, first using JES and then converting to ProRes. Could you walk me through the batch convert steps? (I have about 100 clips, neatly divided into subfolders and would like to keep things as orderly as possible. Also:

1. Is there a way to re-name the clips or make some change to the name during the batch process so that I can easily identify them?

2. Anything special I need to do to the JES settings beforehand?

Thanks,

Bill Doyle
Bill Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #5
New Boot

I got a 4x3 image as well after the 24p footage ran through compressor. BUT, I import the 4x3 footage anyways and it was fine. FCP recognizes it as 16:9 24p footage. Did my editing, export it and everything looked fine.
Victor Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #6
Major Player

I think I may have the solution to some of your problems.

Technically, anything recorded to the Canon HV*0 is recorded at 1440x1080, with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.333.

If your playback software ignores the aspect ratio for some reason, it will interpret it as a "square pixel" image, which happens to be 4:3.

You have not lost any picture quality information if this happens, it's just a misinterpretation of the aspect ratio. You can always set the aspect ratio to 1.333 manually.

Taking it into FCP should recognize that 1.333 aspect ratio, of course, and I always try to export as "square pixels."

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders