Dropouts! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Dropouts!

Just wondering what all of you guys are using for tape? I am using Panasonic PQ (Professional Quality) tapes and have noticed a dropout on nearly every tape! Are HDV tapes actually worth the extra dough? I was thinking that if others aren't having problems with the same tape that I should clean my heads, maybe.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ryan,
Suggest head cleaning is the solution. (I use about 5 seconds with Panny cleaning tape)
I originally got an HV20 (using cheap TDK Costco Tape) and an A1 (using PannyAMQ). Both cameras averaged one dropout per tape, so I got concerned and researched in this forum. Many folks recommended cleaning, especially before the first tape. I started cleaning before each important shoot (about 10 hour drum time intervals), and the dropouts went away. I recently got an HV30, cleaned it before use, and have yet to see a dropout.
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:53 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
Just wondering what all of you guys are using for tape? I am using Panasonic PQ (Professional Quality) tapes and have noticed a dropout on nearly every tape! Are HDV tapes actually worth the extra dough? I was thinking that if others aren't having problems with the same tape that I should clean my heads, maybe.
I use SONY Premium Tapes. Dropouts occur maybe 1 out of 10?? Maybe.
Dave Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

So what exactly do you guys use to clean the head???
John Palaganas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use the Panasonic Dry Type Digital Video Head Cleaner Cassette (AY-DVMCLC). It works great. I use Maxell DVM60SE tapes. I've only run about 5 tapes through my HV30, but have not had any dropouts. Also, I agree that you should run the head cleaner before an important shoot. It only takes a few seconds.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Petersen View Post
I use the Panasonic Dry Type Digital Video Head Cleaner Cassette (AY-DVMCLC). It works great. I use Maxell DVM60SE tapes. I've only run about 5 tapes through my HV30, but have not had any dropouts. Also, I agree that you should run the head cleaner before an important shoot. It only takes a few seconds.
Thanks! Even if it says for Mini-DV?
John Palaganas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Palaganas View Post
Thanks! Even if it says for Mini-DV?
Yes. The heads don't know the difference, and neither do the tapes (DV tapes are perfectly good for HDV)
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders