Two questions about the Canon HF10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #1
New Boot

Two questions about the Canon HF10

Hello all,

I'm new here and well, new to editing with AVCHD.

I have the opportunity to swap out my Canon HV20 with a new camera at Best Buy (thanks to buying an extended performance plan)...the HV20 has died on me. :(

I am tossing the idea between the Canon HV30 and the Canon HF10.

I like the HV30 because it's familiar and I have Premiere Elements 4 and I am learning how to edit with that.

I like the Canon HF10 because it uses SDHD flash cards and that seems very easy!

The thing that's holding me back from the HF10 is the fact it is in AVCHD. :(

I'm nervous about that! LOL

So some questions, please:

1. I have a 2 Quad CPU @ 2.66 GHz with 2 GB RAM and Windows XP. Is that system capable of editing AVCHD?

2. With an HF 10, can I still record in standard definition and then somehow use that to get to my computer and edit with a program like PE 4?

3. If I have to use a different editing software, do you recommend Pinnacle or Vegas? (I'm leaning towards Pinnacle 12). Do they offer any books (I love "For Dummies" books but the latest I found was for Pinnacle 10!)

4. I would mostly be making Standard DVDs. The reason I am going with a HD camcorder instead of a standard camcorder is that I'll have the option down the road if I ever want to start making HD video.

5. Anything else you can offer as advice to a rookie. :)

Thanks very much for your taking the time to read this!
Ted Mattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Ted,

1. Yes -- but you'll probably need more RAM though.

2. The HF10 does *not* record standard definition. You might want to consider the HV30 instead if SD recording is a requirement for you.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer.

1. Okay...then I may be in a jam. 2 GB is maximum RAM for Windows XP, yes?

2. I learned that it records in HD, but I can use the included software to burn in SD? At that point can I then edit with a regular editor? Or still need something like Pinnacle?

Again, thank you!
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I edit Sony AVCHD footage with 2G and a dual core 6000+, a little clunky with vegas 8 pro, but if you reduce the preview res, it works fine... renders are slow, so a quad is on the radar...

If Canon includes software to downconvert (AVCHD doesn't allow for the "in cam" downconvert for whatever reason), it should be quick and painless, Sony's PMB software has a similar downconvert function, though I prefer working with the higer res files until final render. The downconvert just happens at a different stage of workflow.

Ultimately you just need to ask yourself which cam feels best to you. One consideration though, if you have tapes you need to access... you may HAVE to get a tape cam for now. I've made the tapeless switch, but have to keep something around to access the old tapes...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
I edit Sony AVCHD footage with 2G and a dual core 6000+, a little clunky with vegas 8 pro, but if you reduce the preview res, it works fine... renders are slow, so a quad is on the radar...

If Canon includes software to downconvert (AVCHD doesn't allow for the "in cam" downconvert for whatever reason), it should be quick and painless, Sony's PMB software has a similar downconvert function, though I prefer working with the higer res files until final render. The downconvert just happens at a different stage of workflow.

Ultimately you just need to ask yourself which cam feels best to you. One consideration though, if you have tapes you need to access... you may HAVE to get a tape cam for now. I've made the tapeless switch, but have to keep something around to access the old tapes...
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that information. I'm not entire sure on what software comes with the Canon, but I'll need to look into that.

Definitely a good consideration about keeping my old tapes. Thankfully, I don't have many tapes...and those I have I've already put on my hard drive (for the most part).

Again, I appreciate your help!
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #6
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mattos View Post
Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer.

1. Okay...then I may be in a jam. 2 GB is maximum RAM for Windows XP, yes?
For XP most s/w requires 2GB. Some, for Vista requires 3GB. Stay with XP and all will be well as long as you have 256KB video RAM.

However, a Quad 2.66GHz is the MINIMUM recommended speed CPU just to smoothly play AVCHD. You can't do any realtime or multi-stream editing with your system. Every FX and every multi-stream must be rendered, which because the source is AVCHD is VERY slow. Very very slow.

Under Windows the only realtime solutions are: EDIUS 4.6 and Premiere with CineForm. Both convert AVCHD to an Intermediate HD codec for multi-stream realtime editing.

Since EDIUS 4.6 is both a better NLE than Premiere and because it costs far less than Premiere + CineForm (you need the $1,000 Prospect HD) I would switch ASAP. However, you will need a BIG disk.

Amazing -- all this compute power and wasted conversion time and you wind up with video of less quality than HDV. You might want to reconsider the HV30. :)
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
For XP most s/w requires 2GB. Some, for Vista requires 3GB. Stay with XP and all will be well as long as you have 256KB video RAM.

However, a Quad 2.66GHz is the MINIMUM recommended speed CPU just to smoothly play AVCHD. You can't do any realtime or multi-stream editing with your system. Every FX and every multi-stream must be rendered, which because the source is AVCHD is VERY slow. Very very slow.

Under Windows the only realtime solutions are: EDIUS 4.6 and Premiere with CineForm. Both convert AVCHD to an Intermediate HD codec for multi-stream realtime editing.

Since EDIUS 4.6 is both a better NLE than Premiere and because it costs far less than Premiere + CineForm (you need the $1,000 Prospect HD) I would switch ASAP. However, you will need a BIG disk.

Amazing -- all this compute power and wasted conversion time and you wind up with video of less quality than HDV. You might want to reconsider the HV30. :)
Hi Steve,

Well, for most of this you've lost me. :)

But I do appreciate your feedback.

I was told my system would be okay... nobody mentioned it was the very minimum.. :(

Ah well.

Thanks again for your help! :)
Ted Mattos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders