Thinking of HV30 BUT..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 12th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Major Player

Thinking of HV30 BUT.....

I have three issues about the HV30 pre-puchase. - Can you easily record HDV back to tape via firewire, after editing, so you can then look at your HDV masterpiece on the TV straight off the camera ?

Also, can you record HD in from the HDMI socket and how does it handle lowish indoor light, from, say, at a concert in the local hall where you want shots of the audience but the main lights are not on, only the stage lighting ?

R.C.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

1. Yes.

2. No (HDMI on any camcorder is output only).

3. That's a frequent topic of discussion around here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

1. You can capture your edit back, and watch on standard tv with composite, and even set aspect ratio of TV, or you can feed a screen with HDMI input with the playback of HDV picture and sound.

2. I ve used the camera to shoot kids plays and lighted stages, and it worked along side my FX1 pretty well, though FX1 handles darker situation better (less grain).

3. Have not used HDMI as a capture vehicle, though some are using it that way, and swearing by it. Takes a special capture card, however.
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Chris.
And I thought I was the only one wanting audience shots !

Can't fathom why they don't have an HDMI or a component I/P when everything else is there for HD recording.

R.C.
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

HDMI was not meant for use to be recorded for consumer needs, only professional. That's why there's the Intensity Pro and the latest Decklink.

However, we can hold our breaths for the official announcement of a Cineform HDMI recorder TBA...
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post

However, we can hold our breaths for the official announcement of a Cineform HDMI recorder TBA...
What is the latest news on this....if any? Has there been any updates or hints as to when it may be released? I remember hearing about the conception of the idea, but then nothing for a long time.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Ron, I dont know your budget but if you can afford a Canon A1, Sony V1/Z1, or even a Sony Z7/Ex1 etc - those are cameras that really support video-making in the field very well.

If your budget is at the HV30 ballpark, then the competitors are equivalents Sonys and Pannys etc. with AVCHD and record to hard disk.

I found the HV30 quite astonishing in that there isnt much of any excuse for blaming the camera anymore. I've used it in low-light at school plays in multi-camera, multi-miked shoots and was surprised how WELL it cut with the Sony V1 footage. Yes, you can see more noise than the V1 in the poorest light conditions (which is 8x more pricey).

But the HV30 taught me to to stop endlessly reading reviews and just go out there and SHOOT. I find I cant blame the camera anymore, its my camera technique that needs to improve!!

So I would recommend it unless theres something about the form factor of the Sony/Panny AVCHD cameras you like (or you want avoid tape and use hard-disk.) Personally I still like tape for archiving.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Major Player

I don't understand the on-the-fenceness of HV30 vs. HX-A1. The HX-A1, which costs four times as much, will produce a better picture in low light and has some features, like focus rings, that will make the picture look fantastic if you know how to use them.

However, the HV30 costs 1/4th the price, has most of the same features...

If you're doing pro work
AND
You can afford it

Get the XH-A1

If you're doing pro work
AND
You can't afford it

Get the HV30 for now, and save up for an XH-A1, you'll get about $500-600 of your $800 back when you sell the HV30.

If you're not doing pro work

Get the HV30.
Old August 18th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif Choudhry View Post
...the HV30 taught me to to stop endlessly reading reviews and just go out there and SHOOT. I find I cant blame the camera anymore, its my camera technique that needs to improve!!
This is exactly the right attitude to have. Obviously cameras continue to improve, but if we wait for the next big thing, or are constantly looking to get whatever upcoming camera is getting hyped at the moment... then we'll never actuially get around to shooting anything!

I have an A1 and an HV30, so I'm fortunate to be able to habve both the compact HDV and the more fully-featured larger rig. But if you are looking to get HD on a budget, then the HV30 is a fantastic camera, and it functions as a playback deck for it's larger cousins, so when/if you do upgrade to an A1 or an H1, then you already have your deck!

We need less procrastinating and more shooting! Just get a HV30 and get out there :)
John Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks everyone for your interesting comments.

To set the record straight I am not a pro, but a serious amateur who doesn't want to look like channel nine on holiday whenever I travel.

At present I have a Sony A1P which I like for its compactness and the XLR adaptor, which I don't have to use unless I need to use my pro AKG condensers. The ability to remove this and use a small ext. compact mic through the 3.5 mic jack is appealing to me. This is the setup I use most of the time.

However, lately after reviewing footage of our recent overseas trip, I was disappointed in the low light performance of this camera with its graininess.

R.C.
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
Thanks everyone for your interesting comments.

To set the record straight I am not a pro, but a serious amateur who doesn't want to look like channel nine on holiday whenever I travel.

At present I have a Sony A1P which I like for its compactness and the XLR adaptor, which I don't have to use unless I need to use my pro AKG condensers. The ability to remove this and use a small ext. compact mic through the 3.5 mic jack is appealing to me. This is the setup I use most of the time.

However, lately after reviewing footage of our recent overseas trip, I was disappointed in the low light performance of this camera with its graininess.

R.C.
Well, you can search Vimeo and try to find a low-light performance shot of the HV30, though if you're -already- at the Sony A1P, you might as well try the Canon XH-A1.
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Inner Circle

An HV30 may give you better low light performance than the Sony A1 (I don't really know firsthand), but it's not going to be a huge improvement (like you would get with an FX1 or XH-A1).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Differences in low light performance among HDV camcorders are marginal at best. Choose the camcorder that feels best in your hands and just shoot.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Differences in low light performance among HDV camcorders are marginal at best. Choose the camcorder that feels best in your hands and just shoot.
Low light differences between the HV20/30 and the XH-A1 are marginal? If that's the case, I might as well just get the Beachtek and stick with the HV20.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #15
Major Player

HV30 a lil grainy but acceptable..

Im going to chime in here although i am very much a newbie at the whole video relm, as changing market conditions forced me from my still photograhy business to learn video..(No regrets) I do understand noise and in very low light conditions the HV30 is grainy My experience was shooting a crowd at a party when it was dusk and then into nightfall with just party lights.

Now saying this, I must add that I dont own a High End HD vid camera. I do own a CANON GL 2 that i like very much. I only do video for computer DVs and WEb work, so high def is not a priorty for me at this time. There definately is a difference when recording and comparing Standard Def to Standard Def.

I do know however it takes one mean computing machine to process the HDV footage of the HV30.

I also travel to China often for business and take my HV30 with me, like someone said its a little less conspicious with a HV30 vs an A1 or the like. I have made 5 trips to China in the past 5 months, My GL 2 only made one of those trips, HV30 made the rest! Id be more then happy to email you a clip from the HV30 if you would like.

So in a nut shell... Buy the HV 30 you will be very impressed with its performance. The only thing i dont like is the lack of manual controls. But it is the first camera i grab when heading out the door now. Hope this helps!
David Ruhland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders