Saving edited footage back as .mts - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 21st, 2009, 11:11 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Horwitz View Post
Peter,
Between your steps 4 and 5 use the Merge button (which I have circled with a pink ellipse in the attached screen shot) to merge the clips into one contiguous file. The output STREAM folder will then only contain a single, merged file as you desire. I have not used / tried this method personally but it does create a single, merged, non-re-rendered .mts output file which should work as you request.

Larry
Thanks, Larry. That did work.

I am still unable to get the quality I get using Pixela by using Nero. I have tried many combinations of video options, but, no matter what I choose, once I trim a video in Nero, I lose quality. (If I don't trim a video, Nero produces perfect quality, even if I combine multiple videos (that were edited in Pixela) into one AVCHD disk). I also notice that I never get 100% smart rendering of video once I trim a clip.

Here are options I have used that don't seem to give me good quality:
Video Mode: NTSC
Nero Smart Encoding: Enable
MPEG4 AVC settings: Normal and Highest Quality
Quality Setting: High Quality and Custom
Sample Format: Automatic or Custom
Bit Rate: (when choosing custom) 17,000 kbit/s
Resolution: 1920/1080
Encoding Mode: 1 Pass and 2 Pass
Audio Format: Automatic

Can you tell me exactly what your settings are to get perfect HF100 AVCHD video after editing/trimming? Thanks.
Peter Holzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #32
New Boot

Nero AVCHD Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Holzel View Post
Can you tell me exactly what your settings are to get perfect HF100 AVCHD video after editing/trimming? Thanks.
Hello Peter - I have tried the same combinations as you and come up with the same results.
Nero "smart renders" if you are simply combining untouched clips together.
If you do even a basic cut or trim on a single clip - Nero transcodes.

No response yet from Nero tech support as to why. I am still looking for a tool that will allow me to do basic cut edits on the AVCHD files without going thru the transcoding process.

Please let me know if you have found any AVCHD editing tools that will do that.

--Chris
Christopher Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jensen View Post
Hello Peter - I have tried the same combinations as you and come up with the same results.

No response yet from Nero tech support as to why. I am still looking for a tool that will allow me to do basic cut edits on the AVCHD files without going thru the transcoding process.

--Chris
Hi Chris, the bundled software with the hf100 does it perfectly, but only with hf100 avchd.
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jensen View Post

--Chris
Corel VS11.5 or higher, it will smart render over jump cuts. It will also do its best to smart render the parts of clips outside its transition effects. But sometimes at the end of transition effects, it glitches when switching back to smart render. A fix is awaited!
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Corel VS11.5 or higher, it will smart render over jump cuts. It will also do its best to smart render the parts of clips outside its transition effects. But sometimes at the end of transition effects, it glitches when switching back to smart render. A fix is awaited!
Hi Mike. Unfortunately there is a well-documented issue with VS11.5 and VSX2 Pro at least for the HF100. They create stutters before and after ALL cuts/trims of ALL clips. This can be difficult to notice unless you're looking for it or if you have a smooth pan. Sometimes the jerkiness of handheld footage masks the problem. Many people have verified this happens even without transitions or other fancy edits.
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Holzel View Post
Hi Mike. Unfortunately there is a well-documented issue with VS11.5 and VSX2 Pro at least for the HF100. They create stutters before and after ALL cuts/trims of ALL clips. This can be difficult to notice unless you're looking for it or if you have a smooth pan. Sometimes the jerkiness of handheld footage masks the problem. Many people have verified this happens even without transitions or other fancy edits.
Ah. Yes, I see this is referred to on the Corel forum, with no fix yet, though there do seem suggestions it is in XS rather than 11.5. I haven't noticed this issue on my HG10 or SD1 output with 11.5+.
It's not associated with the silly problem they have where the input clips are all UFF but their default o/p is always LFF unless you change it, is it?! They seem to get fields a bit confused here and there...
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Ah. Yes, I see this is referred to on the Corel forum, with no fix yet, though there do seem suggestions it is in XS rather than 11.5. I haven't noticed this issue on my HG10 or SD1 output with 11.5+.
It's not associated with the silly problem they have where the input clips are all UFF but their default o/p is always LFF unless you change it, is it?! They seem to get fields a bit confused here and there...
Hi Mike, I have noticed the stutters on 11.5+ as well. If you do a very slow horizontal pan, and then splice/trim it with VS, you will see stutters before and after the splice/trim. However, I doubt you'd see these stutters on still shots or with hand held footage.
Peter Holzel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders