TMPGEnc 4.0 XPresss for 24p with HV20 - Best settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Major Player

TMPGEnc 4.0 XPresss for 24p with HV20 - Best settings?

I searched all over this forum and cant get the answer i need...

Just shot a film with XHA1 in 23.976 and HV20 as B-roll cam in its 24pf "whatever" mode...
I now understand the 24p from the HV20 is within a 60i container (something like that)... So I'm attempting to use TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress to extract the real 24p from HV20 clips so i can edit along side my XHA1 footage in Premiere Pro CS3 on a 23.976 timeline.

I have TMPG XPress open now. Within the Deinterlace button option - There are several options. I'm not sure which ones are best for the HV20. There are So many Options! What do you think i should choose.

Deinterlace mode;
No Deinterlace
Deinterlace when necessary
Deinterlace always
Deinterlace always (double framerate)
24p (special animation)
24fps (prioritize motion)

Deinterlace method:
None
Interpolation simple
Replication simple
Interpolation - adjusted
Interpolation - animation
Interpolation - animation II
Replication animation
Inverse pulldown
Weave
Simple duplication on stripes only
Inverse pulldown (reinforced anit-stripes)

Also, What Output Format selection should i choose. If i choose "HDV format MPEGE file" it seems to only allow framrate setting of 29.97fps interlaced? So i guess i have to choose some other format?

Last edited by Tyson Persall; October 16th, 2008 at 06:10 PM.
Tyson Persall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

TMPGEnc takes one field out of a interlaced video to create 24p, it does not use 2 fields yielding a true progressive result. You will be losing half of your resolution if you use TMPGEnc.

A better way is to render in 60i your raw footage to a intermediate AVI format and read it using VirtualDubMod (it's free). The video must be processed on a shot by shot basis so don't render a AVI with multiple shots in it because of broken cadences. Then choose the "Frame Rate" option in the Video tab. in the Inverse Telecine, select "Reconstruct from Fields (manual)", then adjust the number until you no longer see combing. Render out as a intermediate format or similar and import the result into your editor in a 24p timeline.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #3
Trustee

Jack,

I am almost positive that is not the case with TMPGEnc if you choose the correct settings.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Major Player

"Loosing half my resolution"?

I dont think i agree with that. I have been using TMPG Express 4 to convert to 24p for a few days now and the results dont look like im "Loosing half my resolution". They look pretty good. I choose these settings;

24p (special animation)
Interpolation simple

Outputting to Cineform HD codec
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #5
Trustee

Off the top of my head, I believe Inverse Pulldown is choice that reconstructs the frames best.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Tyson,

There are a couple of assumptions that one needs to make in order to answer the question, one that the final CODEC is NTSC 23.976 MPEG. You can use the preset from the CS3 Premiere HDV, HDV1080P24.

The other is that the target use is going to be 24P friendly.

From the Filter Set, make sure Enable Deinterlace is checked, the first drop down menu "24fps special animation" and the second drop down menu Deinterlace Method to "inverse pulldown". This can be saved as a template that can be used for batch processing.

"OK" that selection and select the "format" for the output format.

You want "HDV format MPEG file". To the right there is a large button "MPEG output", select it to make the file non standard. Change frame rate to 23.976. DC component precision to 9 bit. Field order to Progressive.

You should have two types of HDV output, a standard HDV and non-standard HDV (the progressive 24p). I delete the standard HDV.

You can save the template for future reference.

This can be used for encoding multiple files.

My best,

Mike
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks that was exaclty what i needed to know Mike.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders