Canon HV30 still worth getting? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 11th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rotter View Post
I can photograph a bride who is 10' from me with the background all out of focus....with video.....doesn't seem like I can do that?!
Imagine you were photographing this bride onto 2¼" square film in a Hasselblad, you'd get soft fore and backgrounds, right? Now you pick up your phone and take a 5 mp still of the bride, and everything's sharp right to infinity, again - right?

What you're seeing is this: it's all about chip sizes, and therefore focal lengths. So the smaller the chips, the less likely it is that you'll get the differential focus effects you're after.

So you can't say, 'with video it can't be done'. It can be done with an EX1 (½" chips) but probably not with a PDX10 (1"/5 chips).

Your HV30 is a goodie - it has 1"/2.7 chips - bigger than in an XH, HMC, Z or FX.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #32
Major Player

Hi Terry,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
Thanks for the info Brian
For anyone in search for a better 35mm adapter solution for your 20/30 and soon to be 40s, there are cheaper alternatives. RNC35 and twoneils. Google these two names. I have heard good reviews about the twoneils adapters. But do your research!
Thanks for lead on twoneils. I ordered one today. Also ordered a Nikon 50 F1.4. Should be fun!
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #33
Major Player

Follow-up...

Just a follow-up:

I bought a twoneil adapter - no achromat so there is a little vignetting. I actually like the look - I often add a subtle vignette anyway. I sent my HV30 away for the FlipHack while I waited for the adapter to arrive as well as purchased a 50mm 1.4 off of ebay for $60. My father-in-law crafted a bracket so I can mount the camera upside-down on a tripod or monopod. Short movie of that here, using the adapter and lens a day after the adapter arrived:

~ Flip it ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Terry,

Thanks for lead on twoneils. I ordered one today. Also ordered a Nikon 50 F1.4. Should be fun!
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Ace little film Joel. That adapter sure makes your little HV look like $15000 on screen - and that's what matters.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Ace little film Joel. That adapter sure makes your little HV look like $15000 on screen - and that's what matters.
Thanks Tom! Its a fun little rig. And at 24 fps and 1/24th shutter the low-light sensitivity is pretty good. I've got to watch out for dust though. There's a piece that shows up a lot. I did order the achromat lens - will hopefully make the edge-to-edge sharpness better and lessen the vignetting at the expense of a longer lens.

Last edited by Joel Peregrine; April 14th, 2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #36
Major Player

Just a shot of the configuration:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1239808363
Attached Thumbnails
Canon HV30 still worth getting?-hv30-adapter.jpg  
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:53 PM   #37
Inner Circle

I use my XH-A1 as main cam. Then an HV30 as B-roll cam. A second HV30 mounted on Merlin steadicam. Both HV30 works well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders