Should I get cheap TG1 or HF100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 29th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Tourist

Should I get cheap TG1 or HF100?

I am learning to edit using premiere and after effects. I want to get a flash camcorder to learn to shoot, edit and burn. I can get a Sony TG1 new for $650 CAN or pay $250+ more for an HF100. I like the features on the canon but is it worth the extra coin? The image stabilization on the sony interests me as I dont have a tripod. I can get any sony gear at cost as well but dont want to spend over $1000.

Thanks in advance.
Darryl Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

remember that TG1 has a sensor of 1/5...
Lorenzo Asso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Um, if you can get any Sony gear at cost, what about the CX12 or SR11/12?? The TG1 is a cute little feller, but small sensor and lack of ability to add lenses or anything else really... would lead me to suggest a slightly more versatile solution.

The CX12 is around the same price as the Canon list, but you're talking cost... I'd take that deal <wink>. The SR11 is higher list, but again, "cost" should be cheaper, they can be had second hand in good shape for $700... and you get a VF and bigger screen plus a HDD for longer recording times. I think both have similar menu systems (meaning severely limited) to the TG1, but if you're looking at the TG1, these should fit the bill, and the image quality is about as good as you can get (not trying to start any arguments, but I just don't like the Canon "look" as well as the current Sonys... though my last Canon was the HV20 and the HF series sure look pretty good!).

Again, if you have an inside "cost" deal, look at the other Sonys before you jump.

And as far as "image stabilization", you'll find HD in ANY flavor requires a steady hand or some form of support assistance - it's not forgiving of wobblies, much to my consternation, I never knew how wobbly I was until I shot HD...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Trustee

The TG1 produces very nice macro video and has a tendency to underexpose which I find better than overexposing- very nice camera!
The HF100 is pretty much the BEST AVCHD cam on the market aside from the Panasonic HMC150 (and some might argue the Sony SR's)....all nice cams, you'll be happy either way.

(The Sony is MUCH smaller- this might be either a plus or minus for you- decide!)
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi,

I have a Panasonic HVX200 (terrific camera - I will get an HMC150 this month, too), and owned a TRV900, PD150, VX2000, and a slew of others and shoot and teach for a living.

The HF100 is one of the fun-est cameras I've ever had. I highly recommend it.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Same goes for the CX12 ("fun-est"!) - even the SR11 is pretty cool, but that's where these small form factor cams are so sweet - killer video that sticks in your pocket, BIG FUN!

Sure the HMC150 is cool and all <jealous! wink>, but try putting it in your pocket and taking it with you everywhere so you can shoot whenever, wherever...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Trustee

Note- the TG1 is the BEST HD cam for digiscoping- none better!
I have a HF100 and really like it but think I am picking up a TG-1 as a digiscope camera- they just can't be beat! You'd need a tripod though.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:22 PM   #8
Trustee

I now own both, and while the HF's progressive video is outstanding, the TG-1 isn't bad at all....if it were progressive it would be awesome!!!!!
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez View Post
Note- the TG1 is the BEST HD cam for digiscoping
Sorry for the stupid question - but what do you mean by digiscoping as it relates to this cam? Thanks - Randy
Randy Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #10
Trustee

Digiscoping is the technique of attaching a camcorder to a spotting scope for ultra-telephoto videography.
Typically camcorders with small lenses do better as they don't vignette as do camcorders with larger front lenses.
The TG-1 has a relatively small lens which allows it to be used with digiscopes.
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Same goes for the CX12 ("fun-est"!) - even the SR11 is pretty cool, but that's where these small form factor cams are so sweet - killer video that sticks in your pocket, BIG FUN!

Sure the HMC150 is cool and all <jealous! wink>, but try putting it in your pocket and taking it with you everywhere so you can shoot whenever, wherever...
I can associate with your post 100%, Dave. I'm taking a trip to Europe (first time) this month (brrr!!!) and although the Sony FX7 produces the best quality vs my new Sony CX12, I'm taking the CX12 for portability and convenience. Yes, try and put the FX7 in my pocket...won't work. However, I used my FX7 for a major event where hundreds of people gathered to display a collective image that is best captured from a flatbed truck where only news and the media was welcomed to. I'm an amateur. With my big FX7, I was able to blend in with the rest of the "Press" and took advantage of the situation. I was with the big boys! I got my shot ;)

So, Europe, here I come...with my CX12!
Rex Hermogino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #12
Trustee

Daryll,

Check out the TG1 reviews on amazon. It's liked for it's portability and does pretty good video but the proprietary memory card costs more and some say low light is very grainy.

I have a pair of HF100's and have had fair to good luck in low light (but I like to bring my own light when I can) and if you get ambitious enough to try for good audio too, the HF100 has the external mic input and the headphone jack for monitoring.

I'd spend the extra money, myself. Although to have something really pocket size has me looking at the Sanyo product now and then.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Contributor

There's always the Flip Mino HD if you really want pocket size. It's totally point-and-shoot--you can't do anything else at all with it. 1280 X 720. It would be nice to always have a camera in your pocket, limited though it is.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hermogino View Post
I can associate with your post 100%, Dave. I'm taking a trip to Europe (first time) this month (brrr!!!) and although the Sony FX7 produces the best quality vs my new Sony CX12, I'm taking the CX12 for portability and convenience. Yes, try and put the FX7 in my pocket...won't work. However, I used my FX7 for a major event where hundreds of people gathered to display a collective image that is best captured from a flatbed truck where only news and the media was welcomed to. I'm an amateur. With my big FX7, I was able to blend in with the rest of the "Press" and took advantage of the situation. I was with the big boys! I got my shot ;)

So, Europe, here I come...with my CX12!
A bit surprised about your cx12 i thought they were the same as the sr 12,i prefer the images i get from my sr 12 to my fx 7,in fact since i bought mine 6 months ago 90% of my filming has been with it,its just long distance nature that the fx 7 wins hands down.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #15
Inner Circle

CX12 and SR11/12 are supposedly the same sensor chain - there are some subtle software/firmare tweaks, but the look nearly identical in practical use.

I think we WANT the FX7 to be better, it has better optics, and more manual control, but the sensor and firmware are a year or two older than the current consumer cams. I wish they had updated the re-release with the Exmor/Bionz enhancements. My "dream" camera would have MANY features of the FX7, no doubt, and I was always happy with the output.

BUT...
The small size makes the consumer cams the "go to" choice for so many situations (and it's the footage you shoot that you "compare" with, not the stuff you miss because your big cam is at home in the closet), and despite the lack of any advanced manual controls, I feel like in side by side comparisons the current AVCHD beats HDV in many respects, and it's hard to argue with the results.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders