Situation with HV20 and FCP is INSANE!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #1
New Boot

Situation with HV20 and FCP is INSANE!!

All right, this is more of a rant then a question... What is this craziness with the HV20 and FCP Log and Capture?

I've had this camera for over a year and I've always had trouble in getting FCP to recognize the camera, although untill now I could always get it to work using the various methods people have discussed here... now Final Cut just gave up and it's driving me crazy! I can't work because this crazy software won't recognize the camera! I've tried all the usual methods and nothing.

I also have and XH-A1 and now it acts the same way! They both used to work!

This is just nuts... I guess if anyone has any suggestions, I really don't want to re-install FCP.

I'm on a macbook pro, with FCP 6.04
Roberto Bellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I have no idea if this will help you, but you could try trashing your preferences. Most likely it is a setting mixup, though.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #3
New Boot

done that

Yes I tried that... even used FCP Rescue 6 to make sure everything was being trashed, but everything is the same. I still get the device not recognized warning.
Also tried resetting the camera, changing all the settings again and again, made sure everything was in HDV, tried using 1080p24 easy setup and also 108060i, also tried switching all the hdv firewire settings (basic,ndf,hdv24p)...
I'm out of Ideas!
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #4
New Boot

oh, and a strange little twist is that even though it is not recognized through Log and Capture it is recognized at start up, and if I use print to tape, it will conform to hdv and print successfully.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Contributor

When you connect the camera make sure it is turned off. Then turn it on to the play setting, and then open FCP and go into capture mode and see if that works.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #6
New Boot

crazy...

Okay, I trashed the prefs. Restarted the computer with the camera off and all cables disconnected. Then turned camera on play, all settings on hdv, started up FCP, and still nothing... seems like something broke my fcp!
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Major Player

I'll throw my two cents in here since I frequently have this happen. Did you try Final Cut Pro (drop down menu) >>> Easy Set up>>>HDV Fire Wire Basic.

I can almost always get my HV 20 to work with that unless I've connected it while it was still on; in that case, shut everything down and start from scratch.

Hope that helps. It is frustrating though. It can work fine 8/10 times and then get jammed up.
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Major Player

***** Common Issue ******

Get a better firewire cable before you pull your hair out.

You are not alone, it has happen to quite a few of us, and more than likely the problem will go away.

If I read correctly it also happens to your A1, use the same cable? if so that's your common denominator.

These Cameras are very finicky, interesting enough at the time the sony's would not have a problem with the defective cable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders