DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Attach WA Lens to UV Filter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/137410-attach-wa-lens-uv-filter.html)

William James Ryan November 7th, 2008 11:55 PM

Attach WA Lens to UV Filter?

I've got a Hoya UV filter on my HV30, and I was wondering if it's a bad idea to attach a wide angle lens on top of the filter. The threads on the filter don't seem to go as deep as the HV30's, and I'm worried about maybe the weight of the lens affecting the filter/camera or even the lens plain flat falling off of the camera.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks

Will

Chris Soucy November 8th, 2008 01:20 AM

Hi William..........

Can't vouch for the HV30, as I have a HV20, tho' can't imagine the lens assembly is that much different.

I do, indeed, attach the WD (er, XX) Canon wide adapter straight onto the UV filter, no problems.

I did worry about:

vignetteing(?) - no problems

weight - front heavy, but no biggy

security - well, the camera has been chucked into the back of a car in the general direction of it's bag about 50 times, and has neither lost it's cap nor ripped the lens off the filter, so guess it's pretty robust.

I guess it's only a problem if it actually becomes a problem.

Horses for courses, my stuff gets treated pretty rough 'cos I don't have the time to treat it nice, always comes through for me (I hasten to add, rough doesn't mean bad, just no 5 star treatment).

Built pretty tough those HV's.

Then again, I can afford, if necessary, to buy another HV if I break this one, can you?

I have no doubt there will be dissenters to this approach to equipment etiquette, however.

CS

William James Ryan November 8th, 2008 02:21 AM

Broken Pearstone WA Lens?

And on top of that, upon looking into the wide angle lens before putting it on the camera, it looks like tiny hairs are inside the lens. And it makes noise if you wobble it a little. Is it broken on the inside? Will this affect the quality of my video (sure seems like anything in the lens would affect it...)? It's a Pearstone lens from a b&H kit.

Maybe I should open a new thread... but maybe it's not broken.

Help

Thanks

Will

Chris Soucy November 8th, 2008 03:09 AM

Well.................

Guess you're on you're own with that one, can't help.

Sorry.

CS

William James Ryan November 8th, 2008 03:18 AM

yeah, hey thanks by the way for the advice before. Sorry I got sidetracked there. I'm kind of a toss'n'go guy, so I understand what you're talking about and while the lens is expendable, I can not afford to buy another camera. So I'm just worried about the camera & it's threads.

But I really want to use my wide angle lens and I dont want to spend another 150 bucks on it (although I'd end up getting the canon wdh43 or whatever).

Paul Tauger November 23rd, 2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William James Ryan (Post 961030)
And on top of that, upon looking into the wide angle lens before putting it on the camera, it looks like tiny hairs are inside the lens. And it makes noise if you wobble it a little. Is it broken on the inside? Will this affect the quality of my video (sure seems like anything in the lens would affect it...)? It's a Pearstone lens from a b&H kit.

Maybe I should open a new thread... but maybe it's not broken.

Help

Thanks

Will

There should be nothing inside the lens except air and glass -- hairs might mean fungus growing on the lens coating, contamination or scratches. How badly it effects the image is a matter of placement, which is to say, "luck."

Lenses shouldn't make noise if you shake them, particularly fixed-focal length lenses with no moving parts.

It's your call as to how much the image is degraded -- I'd recommend running some tests.

As for mounting the lens on a UV filter, I mount my Canon WD on a UV filter and haven't had noticeable problems with vignetting. I have had vignetting issues mounting the WD on a polarizing filter. Note, too, that both the LCD and viewfinder overscan rather dramatically -- you won't see the vignetting until you get the video into a computer. I had some rather nice footage shot in the medieval Chinese town of Lijiang ruined because of this. Again, the solution is testing in advance of shooting (and I wish I had taken my own advice).

Good luck!