Another HV30 price drop? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
If there's a new product it's likely to be a substantial change in features or a great reduction in production costs. There might actually be fewer features...
Can someone please pass the mustard? I have these words I gotta eat.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #17
New Boot

I have been watching the HV30 price at B&H from just before the announcement of the upcoming HV40 until today. Unfortunately I did not write down the figures, but from memory the price went from around $535 just before, to $560-something just after, and today it is $579:95. I guess they anticipate a "run" on the HV30 units that are left, because some potential buyers would rather pay $560 for a 30 than full price (whatever that will be) for a 40, when the latter has few new features. But perhaps I shouldn't play amateur psychologist.
- David
David Usher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #18
Major Player

Very likely the price was dropping with sales as CES approached.
Now that everyone knows what the new models will be, the sales, and prices, are going back to normal.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I had to go spring for the HV30 just now over at Amazon, as this will pay for itself as a FCP playback/capture deck deck later on. I grabbed the hot shoe mic while I was at it. I shot some footage or a band recording session this summer with that same setup and was knocked out by the picture as well as sound quality. That mic makes a big difference.

I really want a Sony Z1 or V1, and one of them are coming next, but I need something right now to get more new demo material up on Vimeo, and we all know you can get some great stuff with this camera if you know what you are doing and have the lighting right.
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #20
New Boot

Price at B&H just now (Jan 8th, 7:15 pm) is another $20 higher, i.e. $599:95. Bill, what do you think it will top-out at?!
- David
David Usher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #21
Major Player

I have no clue what the price vs. time curve is going to be...my crystal ball for reading the future stinks. I just make educated surmises.

Are you happy with the picture quality? Features? There will always be a better cam coming next year, but that does you no good this year. At some point, you have to nail down what's important to you, why it's important to you, make the decision, buy it, and not look back.

It wasn't that long ago (months) I bit the bullet and bought a Sony HDR-HC9.
Big, make that huge, huge upgrade from the Std. Def. Sony TRV-320 that was its predecessor.

Do I like the look of the new cams? You bet.
Am I going to buy a new one? No, for the following reasons:
1. Overwhelmingly I am still delivering product via DVD. HDV is fantastic source for that.
2. I am still having fun learning how to use the cam to its full ability.
3. It is to soon in my upgrade cycle, and the improvement would be to incremental.

But that's me.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:11 PM   #22
Major Player

B&H price now at 630$

I guess I'm just gonna have to aim for an HV20.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kraus View Post
B&H price now at 630$

I guess I'm just gonna have to aim for an HV20.
can still get it for $600 and free shipping if you look around.
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM   #24
Regular Crew

If you're not in a rush, I'm sure the price will drop as soon as the 40 hits the market.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM   #25
Major Player

I definitely agree, and I would wait if I could but there are a few projects that I need done very soon and I don't currently have any access to a camcorder.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #26
Major Player

Well B&H price is $599 + MasterWorks DVD: Jumpstart Guide for the Canon HV30 Camcorder

Amazon has one for $10 bucks cheaper...

Any idea if the price will drop back down?
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Does anyone actually buy steadily from Amazon? How is their return/repair policy?

Because I'd pay way, way more than an extra $10 for the consistency and comfort that B&H gives me when something goes wrong.
William James Ryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders