DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HF11 Capture in FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/139715-hf11-capture-fcp.html)

Robert Bale December 15th, 2008 06:20 PM

HF11 Capture in FCP

Hello,

i have got a nEw HF11, I have spent the last 5 hrs tring to find a post on how to capture the footage into FCP, Tried stream clip no good, i get file open error:unrecognized file type. So can some one tell me how to capture into FCP, I realy just want a quick and easy way to get my video into FCP.

The only conection is USB ? and when i look in Capture setting all they say is Firewire ?

I have the latest FCP on my Mac Pro.

Chris Barcellos December 15th, 2008 07:48 PM

Okay, I am not a FCP or Mac user, but you shouldn't be capturing per se. You are simply transferring the files from the flash drive to your hard drive and working them into your editing program. It should basically be drag and drop, and the flash drive on the camera will show up as a drive. Some editors, will require some type of rewrap or transcoding from that file format, which I believe is basically mpg4.

Mike Brice December 15th, 2008 08:34 PM

I have an HF10 and I just use the log and capture in Final Cut Express

It takes a minute for the program to have the various clips appear so depending on how much you have recorded you may need to wait a bit.

Then I just select the clips I want and import than. I am a novice so I might not be using the correct terms.

Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bale (Post 978762)
Hello,

i have got a nEw HF11, I have spent the last 5 hrs tring to find a post on how to capture the footage into FCP, Tried stream clip no good, i get file open error:unrecognized file type. So can some one tell me how to capture into FCP, I realy just want a quick and easy way to get my video into FCP.

The only conection is USB ? and when i look in Capture setting all they say is Firewire ?

I have the latest FCP on my Mac Pro.

Robert Bale December 15th, 2008 09:19 PM

Chris, yes, capture/drag and drop i under stand, it has MTS files on the card and FCP will not support them, yes a wrapper would be good,

Mike can you tell me your work flow,

thanks rob.

Mike Brice December 15th, 2008 11:23 PM

I do it one of two ways. I will be basic, because that's all I know.

Typical:
Start iMovie
Plug in camera
Turn on camera
Turn to play movie mode
Camera asks on camera screen if I want printer or PC mode.
Select PC mode
iMovie says its generating thumbnails.
iMovie asks if I want to import.
I select all and import...

Then I can either edit it iMovie or export XML for Final Cut.

Other method:
Plug in camera
Turn on camera
Turn to play movie mode
Camera asks on camera screen if I want printer or PC mode.
Select PC mode
Open Final Cut
Select under file - log and transfer
Wait a few minutes
Clips on left
View on right
Select clips - typically I select them all
Capture

Hope this helps. Sorry if this is basic, but I am a still shooter so the video is new to me. Mainly using it for family stuff and small web clips for promo.

Thanks
Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bale (Post 978851)
Chris, yes, capture/drag and drop i under stand, it has MTS files on the card and FCP will not support them, yes a wrapper would be good,

Mike can you tell me your work flow,

thanks rob.

Robert Bale December 15th, 2008 11:24 PM

Hi Mike,
what folder do u import from ? when i open log and transfer nothing happens

Mike Brice December 16th, 2008 12:02 AM

I click on the main folder in the canon drive that has mounted to my desktop.

It takes a few minutes for the log and transfer to read through the folders and assemble the clips.

Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bale (Post 978895)
Hi Mike,
what folder do u import from ? when i open log and transfer nothing happens

Robert Bale December 16th, 2008 01:03 AM

Thanks anyway,

Nothing happens.

MMM?

Michael Hintlian December 16th, 2008 10:43 AM

Its my understanding that AVCHD requires a mac with an Intel processor...I've been told the earlier processor simply won't work with this format. It could be this is what thwarts you.

Hope I am wrong...

Michael

Michael Hintlian December 16th, 2008 10:50 AM

Sorry for the confusion...I read in your signature equipment list "G5", but you say in the first post you have a Mac Pro which is an Intel Mac, right? If so, the architecture isn't the problem.

Robert Bale December 17th, 2008 12:23 AM

yes, i have a mac pro, everything is up to date, i have no idea why it will not work :-(

Don Maldos December 20th, 2008 03:35 AM

What version of FCP?

Intel Mac
Latest version FCP or FCE
camera FW to mac FW
camera placed in play back mode and PC selected for transfer

"Log and transfer"

All files should appear in new window for viewing. BTW, large files can, and will take much time to transfer...lots and lots of time on the mac book pro.

Another program VoltaicHD at shedworx.com can convert AVCHD files to AIC format for usage in FCP...trial download available...and they are located down under.

Mika Tertsunen December 20th, 2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bale (Post 979531)
yes, i have a mac pro, everything is up to date, i have no idea why it will not work :-(

I did have a similar experience with my hf100 and FCP. The problem for me was that the log and transfer function didnīt indicate it was doing anything. I did select the avchd folder and clicked "open" but nothing ever happened; or so it seemed. No indication of activity, just dead. After a while, the clips just appeared in the upper left window.
This is a bit confusing because Iīd like to have some sort of response.
Anyway, you might try selecting the avchd folder in log and transfer; then taking a coffee break even though nothing seem to be happening. When you come back you just might have the clips, thatīs what happened to me. Strange...