DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV30 Free-run Time Code (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/140713-hv30-free-run-time-code.html)

Nelson Alexandre January 2nd, 2009 10:57 AM

HV30 Free-run Time Code

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a HV30 as a B-roll to a XH-A1 but only if it records Free-run Time Code which is essential to me.

Can some HV30 owner confirm this to me?

Thanks

Tripp Woelfel January 5th, 2009 07:09 AM

I don't think so. I don't recollect that option in any of the menus.

You might want to download the HV30 manual from the Canon Web site. That should give you a definitive answer.

EDIT: I just gave the manual a quick look and I didn't see anything on the subject so I suspect it is not possible. Unfortunate since there are situations where I could use this too.

I just don't think you're going to find this on cameras at this level. Typical users at this level wouldn't know what a free-run timecode was, let alone what to do with it.

John Hotze January 5th, 2009 09:46 AM

"I just don't think you're going to find this on cameras at this level. Typical users at this level wouldn't know what a free-run timecode was, let alone what to do with it."

I'm one of the happy campers who have been digitally shooting videos for 5 years now without knowing anything about what you're talking about.

What is it and why is it so important when shooting with two camcorders. I might be shooting some events where I will use a second cam. Do I have to have it?

Andy Tejral January 5th, 2009 10:05 AM

Well, at least one way to use it is as time of day time code. Set the time code to the current time and you'll be able to use your watch to log things on the fly as you record.

For example, recording a press conference or trial, the camera records time of day time code and the reporter picks sound bites as the proceeding proceeds.

Tripp Woelfel January 5th, 2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hotze (Post 989171)
What is it and why is it so important when shooting with two camcorders. I might be shooting some events where I will use a second cam. Do I have to have it?

Think of it as cameras synchronizing their watches. You start the timecodes running on both cameras at the same time that way you can line up the shot times between the two cameras in post. I've not used it myself, having only one camera that will do it.

You don't actually have to have it. As Andy said, you can use the cameras' clocks to get close. Just make sure you synchronize those clocks.

John Hotze January 8th, 2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 989500)
Think of it as cameras synchronizing their watches. You start the timecodes running on both cameras at the same time that way you can line up the shot times between the two cameras in post. I've not used it myself, having only one camera that will do it.

You don't actually have to have it. As Andy said, you can use the cameras' clocks to get close. Just make sure you synchronize those clocks.

I've also heard a clapboard or a flash will allow you to sync video precisely so I don't see that the extra 3 or 4 grand to add it to a prosummer camcorder is worth it. Naturally the big guys would use it because they're probably shooting with $100,000 cameras.

Tripp Woelfel January 8th, 2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hotze (Post 991352)
I've also heard a clapboard or a flash will allow you to sync video precisely so I don't see that the extra 3 or 4 grand to add it to a prosummer camcorder is worth it. Naturally the big guys would use it because they're probably shooting with $100,000 cameras.

Any visual/aural queue will work, but depending upon what you are shooting that may not be available. For instance, when I shoot motor races I have three cameras on the press box roof of the track, but I may also have a camera or two inside a race car or two. This is where free-run timecode would be invaluable. I do get it close with some visual clues, probably within a few frames and it's a PITA to do. Free-run would save me at least ten minutes per race in post. These cameras range from an XH A1 down to US$200 SD Canons in the race cars.