Firewire vs USB, shoot/transfer mode switching at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Firewire vs USB, shoot/transfer mode switching

Now that I am starting to get settled with my HG20, I am starting to suspect it might pose me some workflow issues. Here is how I am using this camera:

- Camera is beside my computer monitor, facing me, out of reach.
- I am filming myself for instructional guitar videos.
- I hit record with the remote.

To see how the recording came out, I have to get up, connect the USB cable, set to transfer mode then import on the computer. THen when I want to record again, I have to disconnect the USB cable because the camera won't allow it to go into shoot mode with the USB cable plugged in.

So this is quite cumbersome to efficienty experiment and review shots. Ideally, I want to be able to stay at the computer and not have to get up, conenct USB, etc, etc everytime I want to review the shot on the computer. Woule be ideal to stay seated with my guitar in my lap and accomplish transfers. So here is the question:

1) Do cameras with firewire also have this limitation?
2) Are there any cameras that have remote control of the mode so you can remotely switch it between shoot and transfer modes?

Anyway, I would be curious what others think about this and if there are any cameras in the same league (or slightly better) that can work the way I have described. I imagine a firmware and remote upgrade could get the camera working in this fashion.

thanks,

brian
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Major Player

With a Firewire camera, you can leave the cable plugged in all the time. You can also record direct to your computer, bypassing the tape altogether, or in addition to the tape. This would allow for instant replays without having to rewind tapes.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't want it recording to the computer though because I am doing multitrack audio recording at the same time. With the firewire cameras can I have the camera recording and then transfer the file to the computer without having to get up and physically mess with the camera? That probably makes me sound lazy but it really is the best way for me to do this guitar video project.

thanks,

brian
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Major Player

You will still have to change the camera to playback mode. No cameras that I know of can be changed from record to playback with the remote.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Major Player

the camera has composite output, right? can you monitor it on a tv screen?
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes I can monitor on a TV. I will probably get a portable DVD player or something.

thanks,

brian
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #7
New Boot

You'll still need to manually switch the camera from record to play mode. However, you'll free yourself from the step of needing to transfer the file from camera to computer.
Leonard Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Interesting. Are you later marrying the video with what you've created in your DAW? Are you getting any sync issues?
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

After playing around with the camera enough, it has become easier and easier to just plug/unplug the USB cable. So I just record the audio to the computer and keep the video on the camera. THen I import the video and align the audio with the camera's audio. SO far no sync issues.
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Er, hold on - isn't there some kind of issue about unplugging USB cables without 'stopping' the device concerned first..? I could be wrong (often am!).
Karel Bata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Technically you are supposed to go through that stop hardware procedure...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders