New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #61
New Boot

What is the actual size of the lense? What i really mean is, it looks huge but then you factor in the pop up flash etc and it's not as big as it first appears. (The true and actual glass lense diameter is NOT the same as the THREAD diameter, do I have that correct?)
Rob Kral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #62
Inner Circle

I am pretty much set to purchase the HFS100. My only factor in the decision will be how the low light performance is. If it sucks, I may downgrade to the smaller chipped model. if it is decent (I am not expecting 5D MKII good obviously), I will order the HFS100.

These little cameras will be a good second angle or companion camera to my DVX100A and HPX170. Different tools for different jobs.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #63
Inner Circle

The HF-S cameras definitely look impressive, and it will be interesting to see how well they do with low light - Sony has it's Bionz "R" sensors in their new cameras, and that technology was supposed to provide better low light performance...

Bottom line though, you can always add a small on camera light for those times when ambient just won't cut it - they work wonders. Sure, range is limited, but it doesn't take a lot of light augmentation to get a usable result.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
No problem, just turn the LCD display into an EVF (see attached pics)... Hoodman USA
Has anyone tried the Hood Loupe on a camcorder? I'd love to get one for my XHA1.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM   #65
Regular Crew

I seem to remember that when the HF S10/S100 were originally announced, the time frame for release was stated as February 2009. Now Canon's website says Spring 2009, which even if accurate, could mean as late as mid-June.

Anybody know of the reason for the change? Technical issues or just adjusting to the current economy or something else?
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM   #66
Obstreperous Rex

Canon USA told me the HF-S models will be out in April, as far as I know that was their plan all along, so I don't think anything has changed.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:19 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Read elsewhere the increase in filter/thread size wasnt due to a large lens but so that the I-AF sensor could be tucked inside and still used with a wide or tele convertor.
Rikki Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Canon USA told me the HF-S models will be out in April, as far as I know that was their plan all along, so I don't think anything has changed.
Thanks Chris. I must have been thinking about some other electronic toy that I was lusting over that was supposed to come out in February. At least April sounds better than spring, which could mean June.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Price on HF S10 will be $1300 and HF S100 will be $1100. Perhaps these new lower prices reflect the economic reality these days. They will supposedly reach the market in early March. More details at:

Electronista | Canon prices, dates 2009 camcorders

That article claims that the early March release date was a "pushed back" date, implying that maybe I am not crazy and earlier I read somewhere (not at this site) that they were going to be released in February.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #70
Major Player

You're not alone David. I thought I read somewhere dates of February, though it's true there was nothing in the original press release.

It's also possible I got confused with the release dates for the new Sony's; though I'm not sure when they are due either!
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #71
Major Player

Interesting how the HV40 will be out in June. That's quite some time, considering its the same technology as in the HV30 and HV20 ... Makes me think they are delaying it on purpose to make people thinking between the two almost feel "forced" to go with the HF S10.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #72
Obstreperous Rex

Here's the pricing info (rec'd via email earlier today from Canon USA):

VIXIA HF S10 $1,299.99 Early-Mar
VIXIA HF S100 $1,099.99 Early-Mar
VIXIA HF20 $899.99 Early-Apr
VIXIA HF200 $749.99 Early-Apr
VIXIA HG21 $1,299.00 On-Going
VIXIA HG20 $899.00 On-Going
VIXIA HV40 $999.99 Early-June
FS22 $599.99 Mid-Apr
FS21 $499.99 Mid-Apr
FS200 $329.99 Early-Apr
DC420 $369.99 Early-Apr
DC410 $299.99 Early-Apr
ZR960 $249.99 Early-Apr

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #73
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Interesting how the HV40 will be out in June. That's quite some time, considering its the same technology as in the HV30 and HV20 ... Makes me think they are delaying it on purpose to make people thinking between the two almost feel "forced" to go with the HF S10.
A more benign explanation is that they are giving vendors plenty of time to clear out stock (HV30) in a slow retailing environment.

Last edited by Bill Koehler; February 5th, 2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Added product reference.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #74
Go Cycle

Not true. The HV-30's are being bought up like crazy. The NEW HV-40 is about the same camera at a more expensive pricepoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
A more benign explanation is that they are giving vendors plenty of time to clear out stock (HV30) in a slow retailing environment.
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
Not true. The HV-30's are being bought up like crazy. The NEW HV-40 is about the same camera at a more expensive pricepoint.
looks to me all these new cameras are. It would have to be a earth shattering difference to justify doubling the cost of HF100 (now at B&H for $525 with free shipping).
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders