New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 5th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009

Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging technology, announces an exciting new line of five VIXIA high definition and six standard definition camcorders, which are available in a variety of different recording formats, including Flash Memory. The camcorders retain Canon's core technologies, but add a wide selection of new features for enhanced image quality and added flexibility for sharing an storing memories.

At this time, pricing and availability is not available, but will be announced after today's announcement (official date TBD). Once we receive pricing and availability, we will forward to you in a separate email.

Canon camcorders will be on display at both MacWorld (booth #1702) and CES (booth #12606).

See original at About Canon: Press Room > Press Release

CANON U.S.A. PACKS A PUNCH WITH A POWERFUL NEW CAMCORDER LINE-UP FOR 2009

New Camcorders Offer Advanced Technology for Higher Image Quality and Easy Operation Across a Variety of Recording Formats

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., January 5, 2009 – Canon U.S.A., Inc, a leader in digital imaging technology, announces an exciting new line of five VIXIA high definition and six standard definition camcorders, which are available in a variety of different recording formats, including Flash Memory. The camcorders retain Canon’s core imaging technologies, but add a wide selection of new features for enhanced image quality and added flexibility for sharing and storing memories.

Highlighting the list of new features is Canon’s newest and most sophisticated image processor, DIGIC DV III. The new HD processor is featured in select VIXIA models and delivers stunning color reproduction, clarity and enhanced noise reduction. The newly upgraded processor’s high-speed engine powers a variety of other new camcorder features including: 8.0 Megapixel photo capture, Genuine Canon Face Detection Technology, and an advanced Auto Exposure system.

Also new to Canon’s video line-up is Video Snapshot Mode, which enables users to capture the highlights of a once in a lifetime trip, or a family milestone, with the same ease as taking photos. Consumers can now record a series of four-second video clips, and along with supplied software which includes various background music compositions, blend in background music to create an exciting movie that will hold everyone’s attention.

“Canon’s latest camcorder lineup features an exciting new array of advanced technologies that deliver superb image quality and easy operation,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, senior vice president and general manager, Consumer Imaging Group, Canon U.S.A. “These new camcorders are available in a variety of recording formats, providing consumers a camcorder choice that complements any lifestyle or situation.”

VIXIA High Definition Camcorders:

All VIXIA camcorders feature Canon’s trinity of core technologies that create the highest level of high definition image quality - a Genuine Canon HD Video Lens; Canon designed and manufactured HD CMOS Image Sensor for Full HD image capture; and Canon-developed DIGIC DV II and DIGIC DV III Image Processors. Additional features found on select VIXIA models include Instant AutoFocus, SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization and 24Mbps Recording – the highest bit rate in AVCHD.

The same high quality Genuine Canon Face Detection Technology used in Canon digital cameras is now available in Canon VIXIA high definition camcorders. Up to 35 faces can be detected automatically, and nine detection frames can be displayed at one time. The system is so intelligent that it will even recognize faces that are turned down or sideways. Consumers can select a face they would like the camcorder to continuously track. While in playback, consumers can access specific scenes based on chosen faces.

Canon VIXIA HF S10 and VIXIA HF S100 Flash Memory Camcorders

Canon’s top-of-the-line high definition Flash Memory camcorders, the Canon VIXIA HF S10 and VIXIA HF S100, boast an impressive range of new and advanced features. The VIXIA HF S10 offers the option of recording video to a 32GB internal Flash drive or directly to an SDHC memory card, while the VIXIA HF S100 records to an SDHC memory card only. Both models feature the new DIGIC DV III Image Processor, an 8.59 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor, Genuine Canon Face Detection Technology, an advanced Auto Exposure system and Video Snapshot and Dual Shot Modes. In addition, both models deliver stunning 8.0 Megapixel digital photographs.

Canon VIXIA HF20 and VIXIA HF200 Flash Memory Camcorders

Canon’s most compact high definition Flash Memory camcorders, the VIXIA HF20 and VIXIA HF200 are powerhouse options for anyone looking to take their HD camcorder with them wherever they go. The VIXIA HF20 offers the option of recording to a 32GB internal Flash drive or SDHC card slot and the VIXIA HF200 records to an SDHC memory card only. Additional features include a 3.89 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor, newly designed Genuine Canon 15x HD Video Lens, advanced Auto Exposure system, and Video Snapshot and Dual Shot Modes.

Canon VIXIA HV40 HDV Camcorder

The Canon VIXIA HV40 HDV Camcorder, a replacement to the highly acclaimed VIXIA HV30 camcorder, shares the core components found within the VIXIA line, but also offers a Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens and 2.96 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor. What’s more, the camcorder allows consumers to record in native 24p Mode, a feature previously found only on Canon’s professional camcorders. Native 24p allows consumer to capture and record 24 progressive frames per second to a HDV tape, a big advantage for the serious filmmaker. Another add-on feature, Custom Key Mode, enables consumers to assign commonly used functions to a single button on the camcorder for easy access.

Standard Definition Camcorders:

Standard definition camcorders offer consumers the ability to capture and watch high quality video, even if they do not own a high definition television at home. All Canon standard definition camcorders come fully equipped with Canon’s core expertise in optics and image processing.

Canon FS22, FS21 and FS200 Flash Memory Camcorders

The Canon FS22, FS21 and FS200 Flash Memory camcorders are ultra-sleek and compact – up to 17 percent smaller than previous FS series models. The FS22 and FS21 Dual Flash Memory camcorders incorporate 32GB and 16GB of internal Flash memory, respectively and can record video directly to an SDHC memory card. Additionally, these two models feature Genuine Canon 48x Advanced Zoom, which is great for capturing sideline action from the bleachers. The FS200 Flash Memory camcorder records video directly to an SDHC memory card and comes in three fashionable colors - Misty Silver, Sunrise Red and Evening Blue.

Canon DC420 and DC410 DVD Camcorders

The DC420 and DC410 DVD camcorders are perfect for consumers who want the convenience of recording their memories directly to DVD. The DC420 offers 48x Advanced Zoom, while the DC410 offers 41x Advanced Zoom. Both feature a DIGIC DV II Image Processor and Widescreen Recording, as well as the flexibility of optional add-on features, such as filters and lens accessories, to help achieve a designed look.

Canon ZR960 MiniDV Camcorder

For consumers who wish to record video to MiniDV, the ZR960 MiniDV camcorder is perfect. This easy-to-use option is a beginner’s go-to product. While still incorporating Canon’s core technologies and optics, this model provides 41x Advanced Zoom, great for capturing far-away shots, as well as a microphone terminal for better audio control. Additionally, the flexibility of add-on features, such as filters and lens accessories, help to achieve a designed look.

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Canon U.S.A., Inc. delivers consumer, business-to-business, and industrial imaging solutions. Its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), a top patent holder of technology, ranked third overall in the U.S. in 2007†, with global revenues of $39.3 billion, is listed as one of Fortune's Most Admired Companies in America and is on the 2007 BusinessWeek list of "Top 100 Brands."
Attached Thumbnails
New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-menu-af.jpg   New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-menu-cb.jpg  

New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-menu-ck.jpg   New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-menu-gc.jpg  

New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-menu-rm.jpg   New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-hfs10i.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

New VIXIA model pricing... subject to change though:

HF S10: $1400
HF S100: $1200
HF20: $1000
HF200: $850
HV40: $1000
Attached Thumbnails
New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-hfs10f.jpg   New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-hfs10d.jpg  

New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-hfs10g.jpg   New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-hfs10h.jpg  

New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-hfs10e.jpg   New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-hfs10c.jpg  

New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-hfs10a.jpg   New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-hfs10b.jpg  

Old January 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

A few pics...
Attached Thumbnails
New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-vlight2a.jpg   New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-vlight2b.jpg  

New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-vlight2d.jpg   New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-vlight2e.jpg  

New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-vlight2c.jpg   New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-func-focus.jpg  

New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-func-face.jpg   New: Canon VIXIA consumer HD camcorders for 2009-func-prerec.jpg  

Old January 5th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Major Player

I'll continue my discussion here, as it seems appropriate. I'm curious to see how Canon prices these new units. Additionally, I'm also curious as to how well APP 4 will handle the higher resolution pictures that these cameras offer.
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Major Player

So, the HV40 records native 24p, meaning no pulldown removal process in post? No more Prores conversion? Plus the zoom is better? Okay, that's cool. The biggest pain with my HV20 was having to download all the HDV footage, then do the Prores 24p conversion, and then start editing. Took up so much time and effort. Still, they don't mention anything about the manual exposure issue. Oh well, can't have everything I suppose.

Unfortunately, I'm waiting to see how the next DSLR videocamera goes. I'm curious to see what filmmakers do with these new models, seeing as how they are the best low-end $1,000-ish HDV 24p cameras for filmmaking, when their main competition is the Nikon D90 for around the same price. Plus, Micro 4/3 video DSLRs are coming out soon too, so things could get really interesting. Now, would I upgrade to an HV40? Sure! 1080p is one of the things I miss from my HV20.
Zack Birlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Tourist

It looks more like a "features" upgrade than an image quality improvement. At least that's what I'm hoping considering I just bought an HG20! The most interesting thing seems to be the 24p in the HV40...

Edit: It looks like some of those new cameras have a custom control dial similar to the one on the Sony SR12. That's cool!
Ed Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Well the only differences between the HV30 and HV40 seem to be:

24P Native recording to tape
Custom Function Button

Everything seems the same.

But since native 24P is being laid to tape, the full 25mb will be used on all 24 frames as opposed to the current HV30, where you are throwing it away when you do a reverse telecine.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Major Player

I also wonder how the much larger pixel count in their new HF S10 and HF S100 models will affect low light?

But those new models have alot of new stuff - 58mm lens, DigicDVIII, 1/2.6" CMOS Sensor ...

There's also colored peaking for focusing. They even added gain control! nice.

The only wish I had on these models is an improved hi-res 920,000 dot LCD, like the one on the Sony models ...
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Keep your eye on the HF S10/S100

Keep your eye on the HF S10/S100. Canon claims 900 lines of resolution out of that little guy, that's more than their professional HDV line-up. I saw some footage from a demo unit in Japan, and it was simply outstanding.

JB
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

So the HV40 doesn't have a higher pixel count and a larger lens? Just the flash models?
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Trustee

Native 24p, so does that mean 24F? That would be very nice and finally make the camera easy to use as a secondary camera for 24F shooters. What about 30F? Even though native 30p isn't needed as much you still get better color compression with native progressive mpeg2 then you do with field based mpeg2 compression.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #12
Major Player

from their tech specs (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...odelid=17992):

"24p Cinema Mode enables all aspiring moviemakers to achieve a professional "film-look." You can change the camcorder's frame capture rate to 24p (recorded at 60i), which provides the appearance of the same frame rate as movie film"

and:

"Frame Rate: 60i, 24p Progressive (records at 60i), 30p Progressive (records at 60i)"

so it looks like 3:2 pulldown is still used (at least with the SD-based cameras).

edit: Other than that it looks like the HF S100 should be a really nice camera - they've finally added manual gain control and peaking, as well as the custom control dial. Hopefully that can be used for manual focus, I find the joystick-based focusing on their previous generation to be very difficult to use. Now that these have full manual control the only complaint I'd still have is the pulldown for progressive modes. However I'm thinking this might be a good companion to my 5D for longer shoots (maybe even as a replacement for my XHA1), etc, so 30p in 60i isn't difficult to deal with.

Last edited by Evan Donn; January 5th, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Inner Circle

If the CMOS sensors follow suit with still cameras, the higher pixel count in the HFS10/100 will result in noisier images in low light unfortunately. The lower line models may turn out to be the ones to buy because of less grain and noise in lower light since they have the less dense imagers.

Canon has an interesting strategy here. Between these new low end consumer camcorders and on the higher end, the 5D MKII, they have basically almost negated their traditional "pro" video camera line, XL-H1, XA-H1, etc. as far as I am concerned. Sure, these new ones lack XLRs, rotating focus and zoom rings, etc. But for our web and Blu Ray crazed world, I suspect a lot of low end pro work can be done with these camcorders.

Some of the impressive standouts...

1. Dual zebras?
2. Color peaking?
3. 3 sec Pre-rec on the flash-based camcorders?
4. Mic jack with manual audio levels and 24 segment metering?
5. 1/2.6" sensor?
6. 0, 6, 12 and 18dB gain settings?
7. 24 and 30p (too bad I think it is still over 60i and not native like P2n)
8. I cannot tell but they allude to a "gradation ND filter" Does that mean it has a -3dB, -6dB and -9dB ND filter built in?

The list goes on...I am pretty impressed with the professional features they are putting on these tiny consumer camcorders. It will be interesting to see the prices when they post them. There are always more pro features we might want (native frame rates with VFR with speed ramping would be pretty cool) but for travel, car cam, reality TV usage, a lot could be accomplished with these little cams. I am sure I will be buying one to experiment with.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Review on CNET "Same as ever" Buy the 30 for $500

January 5, 2009 11:07 AM PST
Canon makes minor update to consumer HDV camcorder
Posted by Lori Grunin Font size Print E-mail Share Post a commentYahoo! Buzz

Canon HV40: same as it ever was.

(Credit: Canon USA)
I'm not sure if it's a commentary on Canon, prosumer HDV, or the quality of the original HV20, but with 2009's Vixia HV40 it's going to be three generations of essentially the same product. There wasn't much difference between the HV20 and its successor, the HV30, and this year's HV40 has basically the same design, same 1/2.7-inch 3-megapixel CMOS sensor, and the same 10X zoom lens. All that's new is support for a native 24p mode plus a user-definable custom key.

Though Canon hasn't yet determined pricing, it's slated to ship in March 2009. I don't expect the price to be as low as the HV30, however, and given the minor changes in the new model, I'd snap up one of the older versions, which can be found for less than $600, before they disappear from the market.

. Senior Editor Lori Grunin has been covering digital imaging for two decades, but her memory's kind of sketchy on the details. You can hear about it every week on Indecent Exposure, the podcast she co-hosts with Matt Fitzgerald.
Dan Herrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #15
Trustee

There seems to be some conflicting info regarding 24 fps recording on the HV40. The announcement indicates that it's real 24f, like the XH series. My HV30 does 24p within a 60i wrapper.

I tried going to the technical link on the Canon Web site posted earlier in the thread but the site seems to have had a nervous breakdown.

So if I have my facts right, the HV40 does 24f without a pulldown to 60i. The HV30 does not.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders