H43 in black? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 13th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

H43 in black?

I haven't been able to find one in black to match my black HV30 - any suggestions please?
Jackie Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Go Cycle

Only Silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Morton View Post
I haven't been able to find one in black to match my black HV30 - any suggestions please?
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Dammit, that's gonna look like crap on a black cam. :) Can I spraypaint it or something? Also, who has the best price on it?
Jackie Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Go Cycle

Spray paint will effect the glass elements. Why not carefully wrap it with a light black tape?

Quote:
Dammit, that's gonna look like crap on a black cam. :) Can I spraypaint it or something? Also, who has the best price on it?
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Try this link and read Bruce Foreman's info on an inexpensive black wide angle adaptor that works well:

HF11 with .5X W/A adapter... - The Digital Video Information Network
Stan Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
I use a Panasonic 43mm x0.7 ref code VW-W4307H (the letter H at the end is important: it's the HD version). It is black and is a little smaller and lighter in weight than the Canon wide-angle.
Its quality is vey good too.
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Trustee

With a smile --- I am reminded of a quote from Oscar Barnack, the man who invented the Leica, when told how nice his lenses looked ---"Please, lenses are to be looked THROUGH, not AT..." Battle Vaughan/maimherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Major Player

Having come out with the HV40 to continue this line, and still not doing that lens in black, doesn't speak well for Canon. That is just plain dumb, this isn't 1960. It isn't that hard to do. I'll never buy a silver one.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've thought about it but haven't. I don't see why you couldn't carefully mask the lens at both ends and spray paint it with a flat or some sort of spray paint without damaging the lens. I'm sure painting the lens frame isn't going to hurt the lens as long as you don't allow any paint to get on either front or back lenses.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #10
New Boot

raynox! the glass is not as good but it is black and looks way badder.
Derek Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #11
Major Player

I personally would go with a better looking video than a better looking camera.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #12
Trustee

Or maybe you could persuade someone to swap you their HV20 so that your colours co-ordinate better.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I just bought a (black) Schneider Optics 0.5x for about $160. Haven't has much chance to use it, but first impressions are good. Unlike the WD-H43, it's very lightweight and has a 67mm front thread for filters. It also has a nice & sturdy, tight-fitting lens cap (the Canon H43 lens cap is flimsy plastic and tends to fall off).

The downside to the Schneider Optics 0.5x is that it's only partial zoom-through, with a zoom range of about 30%. And if only it came in silver (since I have HV20s ;-))...
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. Michael View Post
I just bought a (black) Schneider Optics 0.5x for about $160. Haven't has much chance to use it, but first impressions are good. Unlike the WD-H43, it's very lightweight and has a 67mm front thread for filters. It also has a nice & sturdy, tight-fitting lens cap (the Canon H43 lens cap is flimsy plastic and tends to fall off).

The downside to the Schneider Optics 0.5x is that it's only partial zoom-through, with a zoom range of about 30%. And if only it came in silver (since I have HV20s ;-))...
We also make a .65x that is zoom through. Roughly double the cost but still small and takes a 67mm filter.

.65X WIDE ANGLE CONVERTER 43MM - Schneider Optics

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
We also make a .65x that is zoom through. Roughly double the cost but still small and takes a 67mm filter.
Your Web site doesn't mention the exact size and weight of this WA...
Can these data be provided?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders