DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Low Light: HG20 or HV30? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/142707-low-light-hg20-hv30.html)

Trent Scott January 30th, 2009 01:03 AM

Low Light: HG20 or HV30?

I know these camera's aren't great in low light. But I'm looking for someone who has experience with both the HG20 and HV30 who can tell me which is BETTER in low light situations and under what mode, 60i, 30p or 24p? Thanks!

Terry Lee February 8th, 2009 02:35 PM

I would also know a bit more about the low light capability of the Hv30 if anyone has any insight.

Terry

Tripp Woelfel February 8th, 2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Lee (Post 1008779)
I would also know a bit more about the low light capability of the Hv30 if anyone has any insight.

Terry

Do a search on this list for low light references. There's a lot of info in there including a bunch of my observations comparing the HV30 to the XH A1.

I cannot comment on the HG since I've never had my hands on one.

Terry Lee February 10th, 2009 09:09 AM

Hey Tripp,

I didn't really find anything to informative when I searched this subject...

Brian Boyko February 10th, 2009 10:22 AM

I can tell you that the progressive modes give you better low-light on either camera. I've used both the HV20 and the HG20, and I can't tell you which is better in low light - if I had to guess, I'd say that the HG20 probably is, though both will give you grain and, quite frankly, it's mostly anecdotal.

Dennis Wood February 10th, 2009 10:01 PM

Cine mode on both cams appears to turn off gain completely, which in turn can improve recorded footage at the expense of lower shutter speed. The HG21 we're testing right now (no achromat required on our adapter!!) has a smaller chip than the HV20/30 and is slightly less sensitive. It does gain up cleaner though so the overall effect is slightly cleaner video at he same light levels. Resolution on both is very similar when observed via an HDMI connected 42" panel.

This is based on waveform tests/direct observation with a set of DSC labs charts etc....your mileage may vary :-)

Brian Boyko February 11th, 2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Wood (Post 1010035)
Cine mode on both cams appears to turn off gain completely, which in turn can improve recorded footage at the expense of lower shutter speed. The HG21 we're testing right now (no achromat required on our adapter!!) has a smaller chip than the HV20/30 and is slightly less sensitive. It does gain up cleaner though so the overall effect is slightly cleaner video at he same light levels. Resolution on both is very similar when observed via an HDMI connected 42" panel.

This is based on waveform tests/direct observation with a set of DSC labs charts etc....your mileage may vary :-)

That is the thing though - I like cinemode but I'd rather have grainy low-light footage than shutter speeds of less than the film speed. (I.E., TV30's acceptable for 30p, but TV15 isn't.)

Juan Parmenides February 17th, 2009 02:56 AM

Hi,
I have a Canon HV30 as a second / back up camera. This is an example of a video taken in "P" mode and -3 manual exposure compensation. Vimeo has recompressed it, I say this because I can see some artifacts not present in the original file.
Hope this help.

HV30 low light in Tenerife on Vimeo