Low Light: HG20 or HV30? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 30th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #1
New Boot

Low Light: HG20 or HV30?

I know these camera's aren't great in low light. But I'm looking for someone who has experience with both the HG20 and HV30 who can tell me which is BETTER in low light situations and under what mode, 60i, 30p or 24p? Thanks!
Trent Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Major Player

I would also know a bit more about the low light capability of the Hv30 if anyone has any insight.

Terry
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
I would also know a bit more about the low light capability of the Hv30 if anyone has any insight.

Terry
Do a search on this list for low light references. There's a lot of info in there including a bunch of my observations comparing the HV30 to the XH A1.

I cannot comment on the HG since I've never had my hands on one.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey Tripp,

I didn't really find anything to informative when I searched this subject...
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Major Player

I can tell you that the progressive modes give you better low-light on either camera. I've used both the HV20 and the HG20, and I can't tell you which is better in low light - if I had to guess, I'd say that the HG20 probably is, though both will give you grain and, quite frankly, it's mostly anecdotal.
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Cine mode on both cams appears to turn off gain completely, which in turn can improve recorded footage at the expense of lower shutter speed. The HG21 we're testing right now (no achromat required on our adapter!!) has a smaller chip than the HV20/30 and is slightly less sensitive. It does gain up cleaner though so the overall effect is slightly cleaner video at he same light levels. Resolution on both is very similar when observed via an HDMI connected 42" panel.

This is based on waveform tests/direct observation with a set of DSC labs charts etc....your mileage may vary :-)
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood View Post
Cine mode on both cams appears to turn off gain completely, which in turn can improve recorded footage at the expense of lower shutter speed. The HG21 we're testing right now (no achromat required on our adapter!!) has a smaller chip than the HV20/30 and is slightly less sensitive. It does gain up cleaner though so the overall effect is slightly cleaner video at he same light levels. Resolution on both is very similar when observed via an HDMI connected 42" panel.

This is based on waveform tests/direct observation with a set of DSC labs charts etc....your mileage may vary :-)
That is the thing though - I like cinemode but I'd rather have grainy low-light footage than shutter speeds of less than the film speed. (I.E., TV30's acceptable for 30p, but TV15 isn't.)
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi,
I have a Canon HV30 as a second / back up camera. This is an example of a video taken in "P" mode and -3 manual exposure compensation. Vimeo has recompressed it, I say this because I can see some artifacts not present in the original file.
Hope this help.

HV30 low light in Tenerife on Vimeo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders