DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   How to transfer from Canon HF11 without AC adapter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/144061-how-transfer-canon-hf11-without-ac-adapter.html)

Gian Pablo Villamil February 18th, 2009 10:39 AM

How to transfer from Canon HF11 without AC adapter?

I have a Canon HF11, works fine, I can edit AVCHD without any issues.

However, there is one huge annoyance: when I connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable in order to download video from the built-in 32GB flash, it requires that I connect the power adapter, even with a fully charged battery.

Naturally, this is very annoying in the field, when I do not have access to power and am transferring to a laptop.

Is there any way of overriding this requirement for a power adapter? Failing that, is there a simple hack to trick the camera into thinking the power adapter is connected? Maybe a 9V battery wired to a DC connector?

Robin Davies-Rollinson February 18th, 2009 12:25 PM

No, but you could transfer the files to the card and then use the card in the laptop with a card reader

Brian Maurer February 18th, 2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson (Post 1014040)
No, but you could transfer the files to the card and then use the card in the laptop with a card reader

That's what I've done. Plus, having that option open allows you to take the video where ever you may need it via the card and card reader. Might be good for backing up on multiple computers just in case...

Brent Kolitz February 18th, 2009 03:14 PM

For what it's worth, I've abandoned the onboard 32GB of storage (except for emergencies), because file transfers via USB 2.0 from the camera take an ASTOUNDINGLY long amount of time. To say it's unusable is an understatement.

Popping a card into a USB 2.0 card reader, however, downloads the files in a flash.

I have no idea how Canon could have released this with such slow file transfer times -- I don't know if it's a firmware/hardware issue or what, but I know other people have reported the same thing.

Jim Cancil March 1st, 2009 12:34 PM

I also pop my card into a reader - easy workaround. It's the first thing I try with any camera I have.

You want a Migrane... I also have a Panasonic HDC-SD9. That sum'bitxh needs two cables + converter .. battery removed ...and then kicks down MTS files which are about as Mac-friendly as Bill Gates' wife. Bastards! ...it makes nice video though?!

Jim

Luis A. Diaz March 5th, 2009 12:19 AM

Storage for AVCHD and portable disc

I am switching from HDV to AVCHD on the Canon line, Before when I would go on vacation
I would shoot approx, 10-15 hours of the HD videos in the good, old, reliable MiniDV and carry enough of them around, they are still cheap enough.

As I make my switch to AVCHD I am finding out that the initial investment on 16 or 32G SDHC cards is going to be huge if I want to record at the highest 1920x1080 setting of MXP or FXP. For example 32GB internal memory 2:55h, same for 32GB SDHC card and for the 16GB 1:25h. other recording modes would be higher yield, but of course you would be recording only in 1440X1080 like MiniDV.

I have a portable USB 320GB hard drive that has an AC adaptor(optional) to provide it's own power. Can I use this to transfer the contents of an SDHC card to it, from the camera or a card reader without a labtop or computer.???
or is my only option to buy 8-10 16GB SCHD cards, and use them like I do with tapes only when I returned home. I don't have a Labtop and I don't want to use one while on vacation.

Thanks, any input or ideas will be appreciated.
Luis

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 5th, 2009 04:23 PM

Luis, You will need a laptop or PC to transfer the files from your cards, since software is needed to give the instructions of what to do. You can't just hope that files will pass from one medium to another - something has to put them in order...

Luis A. Diaz March 6th, 2009 12:27 AM

transferring AVCHD

Yeap! that is what I thought. I had really hoped there was some gadget out there that was portable enough that could do that job. I guess I will have to buy many 16 and 32GB cards if I want to record in that fashion or find the smallest and portable computer on the Mac line with a USB port.

Thanks.
Luis

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 6th, 2009 01:00 AM

Luis, I was searching around and I found this: XS Drive High Capacity Storage Portable Device

I don't know what it's like, but it might be worth checking it out...