DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Blackmagic/FCP: Capture to Prores HQ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/145960-blackmagic-fcp-capture-prores-hq.html)

Matthew Wauhkonen March 16th, 2009 03:00 PM

Blackmagic/FCP: Capture to Prores HQ?

Hi, can I use a blackmagic intensity in a mac pro to capture to prores HQ (220mb/sec=28ishMb/sec?) via an hv30 through HDMI? (No, I'm not shooting to HDV first; the camera will be tethered.)

The mac pro can compress to prores in real time, right? And I won't need any sort of RAID array or fast drive, correct? And how do I then remove pulldown if shooting in 24p?

Thanks,

-Matt

Doug Tessler March 16th, 2009 07:42 PM

no

You will need a raid to be able to capture at that data rate . So I think you will not be ble to do this without serious hardware

Doug

Matthew Wauhkonen March 16th, 2009 08:00 PM

Ah, I was afraid of that.

From what I've read, WD raptors (10krpm) claim transfer rates around 200M/b a second, while pro-res HQ 1080p/60i is only about 28M/b a second, but I have noticed drive performance is generally much slower than specifications suggest.

That said, is the mac pro even fast enough to compress to prores in real time from 1080p HDMI or would I have to capture full raster uncompressed (which would need a very large RAID array) in the first place?

I can't afford a RAID array right now; I only make about $250/week at my job and have other expenses.

Deke Kincaid March 17th, 2009 09:32 AM

Then work within your means and just capture to the internal hdv.

Matthew Wauhkonen March 17th, 2009 04:29 PM

Hey, that's not the right attitude! I find HDV fine for most stuff, but I'm doing mostly greenscreen (and occasional motion-matching) to match primary photography shot on a red; HDV leaves bad edges around keyed footage and heavy grading tears it apart. It's gotta be pro-res or cineform or something much better than hdv.

How about using terminal to make a RAM disk? There's got to be some way...

Anyhow, once I have all the hardware I'll test things out and see what's up; I'm surprised more people haven't tried this.

Henry Olonga March 17th, 2009 05:30 PM

Sure you can

You can record to a mac pro single HDD if you choose to compress to a manageable data rate - no need for a raid.I am on a PC.I have been recording to a laptop for over a year now with a magma chassis through a Blackmagic design Intensity card to Cineform.The highest data rate for Cineform is around 24 MB/s and my notebook has handled it well.Awesome quality and no problems.HDD keeps up and I can shoot all day till it is full.I suspect the HDD you mentioned is up to the task so you should have no problems.As long as you have the CPU up to the task it is doable.Test test and test again.Best wishes.

Matthew Wauhkonen March 19th, 2009 05:17 PM

It works fine, fast enough for prores hq; probably two raid0 drives could do uncompressed 8 bit YUV... Really shows the hv30's faults, unfortunately....

Matthew Wauhkonen March 20th, 2009 08:49 PM

http://home.comcast.net/~amuletman/h264.mov

If only there weren't a 6-foot tether....

Christopher Drews March 20th, 2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Tessler (Post 1028778)
You will need a raid to be able to capture at that data rate . So I think you will not be ble to do this without serious hardware

Doug

You do *NOT* need a raid to capture Pro-Res HQ to a 7200 3gbs internal SATA drive. I do this all the time and a user here, shot an entire feature film, capturing Pro-Res HQ without a RAID - all to an internal drive in his Mac Pro.

The only requisite is a capture card that supports Pro-Res acceleration. There are two to choose from: the Blackmagic Decklink and the other is the AJA Kona / IoHD.

Sorry, but I wanted to clarify that.
-C

Doug Tessler March 20th, 2009 11:55 PM

yes

With a capture card yes but why