DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   CANON HF S10 Tip For Saving (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/146578-canon-hf-s10-tip-saving.html)

Lou Bruno March 25th, 2009 06:38 AM

CANON HF S10 Tip For Saving

I must admit, this is the first card-driven HDV camcorder I have ever owned and had reservations about using solid state media. However, this camera is nothing but outstanding. I own the HV-10/HV-30 and the XHA-1 and I am proud to add this camera to my arsenal.

So here goes a tip I discovered works well for me with the new HF S10:

.In your menu simply apply FOCUS to the custom button, located in the front of the camera

.The FOCUS wheel can now be utilized in Manual if need by simply pressing the custom button.

,NOW..keep the LCD screen open and press SET

.PUSH the SET button upwards

.NOW...assign EXPOSURE as a setting

.Main menu>Zebra stripes>set to your situation

This is how I get PERFECT exposure.

HINT: For outstanding color using the MINI-HDMI cable (not included) use the X.V color setting in the MAIN MENU.

ALSO.....I do not see a big difference in 24 mps compared to 17 mps except in 17 mps I get over 4 hours on the internal flash. I also use a 16 G card as a secondary card albeit an external card. I probably will never need the 16 G SD card.

YES....the new camera is SHARPER than my HV-30. However, the camera is a little difficult to stabilize even with the setting set to STABILIZE.

CHRIS...I apologize if there is another section for the CANON HF S10 and please feel free to move this post or estabilsh an area on the BB for this new camera.

Chris Hurd March 26th, 2009 10:49 AM

Great tips, thanks Lou!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno (Post 1033211)
I apologize if there is another section for the CANON HF S10...

Not yet. Should there be? A trusted DVi member has privately suggested that I fold in the Vixia flash memory camcorders with our Vixia HV series HDV forum. Do that, our dedicate one just for Vixia AVCHD camcorders? Or keep it like it us with just one general AVCHD forum...?

Lou Bruno March 26th, 2009 04:53 PM

Chris.....The HV-10/20/30 are tape cameras. Workflow is different than AVCHD. The new Canon cameras have a much different set-up and menu which may not interest HV users.

I would have a section dedicated to the entire line of CANON VIXIA AVCHD FLASH CAMERAS as even another flash camera will be introduced soon. However, that is up to you. I appreciate the reply. LOU BRUNO

Dave Blackhurst March 26th, 2009 08:58 PM

Hi Chris -
I know you've been working diligently to re-sort the forums in light of all the "digital visual replication devices" being tossed into the marketplace salad...

The whole SLR's that shoot video, P&S's that shoot video, AVCHD cams that shoot video, etc, becomes an interesting challenge. The acquisition device is becoming a big variable as even the cheap consumer stuff starts looking pretty decent...

I think you've tried the pro/consumer division, though that's tricky, and of course there's divide by brand, but the crew here is smart enough to not be terribly brand centric, but rather "purpose-centric", with whatever camera meets a need...

"DV" Tape is rapidly fading from many minds as the format of choice, and obviously in the consumer space it's already history, courtesy of Canon, Sony, and Panasonic... I don't even think our local "small floorplan" (meaning limited selection, and typically lower priced stuff rather than high line gear) Best Buy even had a tape based cam on display...

SO, you've got quite a pickle - keeping forum structure logical and easily browseable while dealing with tectonic shifts in the marketplace! Not quite sure what to recommend, I'll have to think about it, as I know the latest changes seem to make it slightly harder to find stuff...

Perhaps it's worth putting up some sort of poll or thread to let the great minds of DVi throw their collective creative genius at the problem?

My first thought is some sort of structure based upon "image acquisition devices", techniques, editing, outboard gear, but then there's all the "crossover"...

FWIW, I'd like to see Sony AVCHD at least rate with the Canon AVCHD, even if it's in separate categories... as a SR11/CX12 user, waiting for the XR500 to drop in price! And I am considering the HF-S for a pocket rocket if the CX12 doesn't get a refresh!

To complicate it, I'm also wondering if a Sony A350 replacement will join the fray with the Canon & Nikon offerings! In my mind, I'm not caring much what I'm shooting with, just looking for the best quality and hopefully compatibility with my other gear!