Got My HF-S10 This Afternoon at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami, Florida. USA.
Posts: 138
Got My HF-S10 This Afternoon

Pre-ordered thru a local camera store here in Miami, Fl. 2 weeks ago. just picked it up this afternoon

The battery is charging, so I will report, back soon.

Thanks
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami, Florida. USA.
Posts: 138
Hf-s10

Oopps! I almost forgot I had promise something.

Canon HF-S10 First test on Vimeo

Thanks,
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Go Cycle
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 795
I love my new camera too!! Notice the lack of GRAIN when the gain is not set to AUTO-Awesome clean picture!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A. Diaz View Post
Oopps! I almost forgot I had promise something.

Canon HF-S10 First test on Vimeo

Thanks,
Luis
__________________
Lou Bruno
Lou Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #4
New Boot
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gothenburg Sweden
Posts: 14
The competition: Panasonic HDC-TM300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
I love my new camera too!! Notice the lack of GRAIN when the gain is not set to AUTO-Awesome clean picture!!
The image really has lots of detail and colours look very natural. I presume this was shot in the afternoon which explains the warm tone.

What I don't like is how the autofocus works when you move the camera around. It first calculates the new distance and then suddenly change focus very fast. It also misses focus here and there, but on the other hand the sensor is large so DOF will be narrow in lowlight. Makes for some creative use on manual, though.

I suppose you stabilized the video in post. Unfortunately there is alot of rolling shutter wobble on the zoomed in scenes. It also looked like the editing software did its best to brighten up dark areas.

Here is the competion cam Panasonic HDC-TM300:
Färjestaden 090404 on Vimeo
(If it ever gets transcoded... Original file should be downloaded anyway...)

Looks like mine has less detail but when I compared to a 1080 render of the same material
I actually see a difference. Yours is also rendered to 720 so maybe there it's something about sharpening? Mine was shot around noon in very bright conditions.

The TM300 has a rather brutal noise recuction compared to Canon. Unfortunately this reduce detail a bit too much in my opinion. Some fine noise looks nice (sort of film effect...) and it can be taken away in post in a much more elegant (and time consuming) way than the camera has the power to do in real time.

Sensors on the TM300 are smaller so DOF will always be wider. I shot all on auto except where the spider is zoomed in to maximum (Auto could not find the right setting).
Kenneth Medin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami, Florida. USA.
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Medin View Post
The image really has lots of detail and colours look very natural. I presume this was shot in the afternoon which explains the warm tone.

What I don't like is how the autofocus works when you move the camera around. It first calculates the new distance and then suddenly change focus very fast. It also misses focus here and there, but on the other hand the sensor is large so DOF will be narrow in lowlight. Makes for some creative use on manual, though.

I suppose you stabilized the video in post. Unfortunately there is alot of rolling shutter wobble on the zoomed in scenes. It also looked like the editing software did its best to brighten up dark areas.

Here is the competion cam Panasonic HDC-TM300:
Färjestaden 090404 on Vimeo
(If it ever gets transcoded... Original file should be downloaded anyway...)

Looks like mine has less detail but when I compared to a 1080 render of the same material
I actually see a difference. Yours is also rendered to 720 so maybe there it's something about sharpening? Mine was shot around noon in very bright conditions.

The TM300 has a rather brutal noise recuction compared to Canon. Unfortunately this reduce detail a bit too much in my opinion. Some fine noise looks nice (sort of film effect...) and it can be taken away in post in a much more elegant (and time consuming) way than the camera has the power to do in real time.

Sensors on the TM300 are smaller so DOF will always be wider. I shot all on auto except where the spider is zoomed in to maximum (Auto could not find the right setting).
Thanks Kenneth

This wobble was mention before, but I forgot to mention that it is the result of the new stabilization feature of iMovie 9. that I used on the clip of the tiled roof and the zoom of the stop sign. This camera to me seems so light after using the HV-20 with the large bulky wide angle adapter that is difficult get get use to it for hand held shot like those so I tried to minimaze motion by using the stabilization in iMovie 9. This is not a rolling shutter effect.
As to the focus rapid change this is what Canon calls "Instant AF" it was the same on the HV-10, HV-20, HV-30 and 40, I like it, you can slowww down the effect with the new slow feature in iMovie 9 and get some impressive focus shift clips.

Thank You
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network