I have my Canon HFS10 too - first impressions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murie View Post
So are you guys still happy you got the camera, or are you having second thoughts?
I don't, but I did side by side with the XR520, and men i wish sony had 24 mb/sec and all canon's manual cotrols, but I'm keeping HF S10.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:42 PM   #17
Go Cycle

None at all. I am even thinking about dumping the HV-30 because the HF S10 is so pristine.

If I decide to just watch my clips instead of edit them, I simply plug the SD card into a reader and then plug the reader into the USB port of PlayStation 3. I am able to watch my clips in full HD. The same card also works with the SD slot on the Panasonic Blu-ray players as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murie View Post
So are you guys still happy you got the camera, or are you having second thoughts?
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
None at all. I am even thinking about dumping the HV-30 because the HF S10 is so pristine.

If I decide to just watch my clips instead of edit them, I simply plug the SD card into a reader and then plug the reader into the USB port of PlayStation 3. I am able to watch my clips in full HD. The same card also works with the SD slot on the Panasonic Blu-ray players as well.

Lou, let me know if you are looking to sell one of your HV cams. I may be interested in getting a used one just for a deck (so I don't mind the HV10 as I am looking to not spend a lot on this). Thanks.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post

- The LCD has a glass top layer, just like Canon DSLRs. Though I like it, shooting outside in the sun is noticeably worse than the matte screen of the HV30. There is a lot more glare, making it that much harder to see. VERY UNFORTUNATE that there is no viewfinder.
Michael,

There are a few "workarounds" that help using the LCD outdoors.

1. Cinetactics Screen Hoodie30 at cinetactics Home Page which is a very sturdy ballistic nylon hood that wraps around the LCD screen and when you get your face close really blocks a lot of light and lets you view a fairly bright screen image. (my first choice)

2. Hoodman H300 with 2x magnifyer. From B&H, you will tend to get a lot of sky reflecting on the top surface of the magnifyer but a wide brimmed hat helps block this. Does result in brighter viewing and focusing can be easier. Also the hood can be used without the magnifyer.

3. Hoodman Hoodloupe 3.0 with velcro collar, affixes to the LCD and effectively turns it into a good size viewfinder. Or the Loupe can be carried with the neckstrap and held in place by hand when needed. Almost totally blocks out light. Can also be used with most digital still cams with 3" LCD display. Very useful.

I have and use all 3 with Canon HF100's.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #20
New Boot

16:9 to 4:3

I have a question about recording in two diff. aspect ratios and editing into one. I have common footage on my Hfs10 and my panasonic vbx100. Ive been struggling to find a way to complete my project in 4:3 using FCP without loosing that much quality. Is there even a way?! Im just getting familiar with FCP and DVD Studio pro and am burning myself out trying to find a solution? Anybodies help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Ryan Borrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post

- The LCD has a glass top layer, just like Canon DSLRs. Though I like it, shooting outside in the sun is noticeably worse than the matte screen of the HV30. There is a lot more glare, making it that much harder to see. VERY UNFORTUNATE that there is no viewfinder.
In addition to what I suggested in an earlier reply here is another approach:

LCD Viewfinder System for Sony HDR-TG1

Eyepiece offers 6X magnification and this would need to be ordered with the rubber adapter (soften contact with LCD screen frame). Cost would be slightly higher than the Hoodman product and there might be a small customs fee since you would have to order from the company in Canada. I have a version with the kit for mounting it on a Canon T1i for video mode and really like it.

Then there's the new Zacuto viewfinder...WAY out of my budget!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #22
Trustee

The only downside that I can see is the strain on the LCD hinge, since you would need to keep some pressure of your eye against the eyepiece...
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders