HFs10 vs HV40 or avchd vs tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 6th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HFs10 vs HV40 or avchd vs tape

Hi,
I wanted to know if someone had the chance to compare the footages between the canon HV40 and the HFs10 ? or sony equivalents
I am trying to figure out what is best. I admit that i like the options of advance camera that the HFs10 give, but i am not sure about this avchd format even if the theory 24mb/s could be better...
i need facts :)
i need to do some post work on it so i want to keep the more range possible

I know that the Sony HDR HC3 have an option that alow you to connect in hdmi directy from the chip to an aquisition card like blackmagic and you can capture raw footages without any kind of compression.
Is there that kind of possibilities on the canon ?

cheers
Olivier Jezequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier Jezequel View Post
Hi,
I wanted to know if someone had the chance to compare the footages between the canon HV40 and the HFs10 ? or sony equivalents
I am trying to figure out what is best. I admit that i like the options of advance camera that the HFs10 give, but i am not sure about this avchd format even if the theory 24mb/s could be better...
i need facts :)
i need to do some post work on it so i want to keep the more range possible

I know that the Sony HDR HC3 have an option that alow you to connect in hdmi directy from the chip to an aquisition card like blackmagic and you can capture raw footages without any kind of compression.
Is there that kind of possibilities on the canon ?

cheers
Well i can only tell you my sr-12 playing direct to tv or from a 1920/1080 bd has a sharper picture than my hdv cams hc-1 and fx-7 not that the fx is not sharp in my opinion.there is an adaptor to allow the hv40 to capture using the hdmi i think.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Blackmagic Intensity Pro & Canon

The Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card works great with the HDMI from the Canon HV series camcorders. Works perfectly with my HV20. Not sure on the comparison of AVCHD to HDV.
Paul E. Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hfs10 impressive

I've had my hfs10 for about a week now. Do not hesitate. This camera will produce a superior image compared to that even 2k more.. If you don't believe me check it out. It's a little on the small and quirky side, but I'm absolutely blown away with the image quality..
Darrin McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Would it be the same for the hv30 vs the hf10? I'm interested in those 2 models, and wondering what to do.
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

if you can wait a few weeks until the "brand new" pricing wears down a bit, I think the HF-S and XR5xxV are both pretty unbelievable cameras - got to lay hands on them in the store, was very impressed with the XR for low light, and the Canon looked pretty good - once again, you probably couldn't lose with either one... if Sony doesn't refresh the CX12, I'm looking at the HF-S very seriously - just the manual controls would make it a nice addition!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Agree with Dale

Have owned the HFS10 for about two weeks and it is amazing.
I have some abitrary HDMI and composite HD capture tests here

http://vimeo.com/channels/hdmicaptures#4014006

Hope they are informative.By the way - prepare to have a large HDD for backup if you wish to use the highest quality AVCHD setting of 24 mb/s.32 Gigs is just over two hours of recording.Even larger for Cineform capture and even larger for uncompressed (RAID).Just go Cineform and get a happy balance.For the first time on a couple of tests with the HFS10 - there was not that big a difference between Cineform and AVCHD.It is there but the gap has closed.I was pleased with the native codec and may use it more than the Cineform capture for convenience.

Regarding the HDMI CAPTURE issue.Proceed with caution............

Please note that I have been having hand shake issues attempting to capture with the Blackmagic design intensity and the HFS10.I have had to buy another card - the Pro to record using composite HD.I do not think it is a mistake.I suspect Canon know how good this camera is and do not want uncompressed HDMI capture and added some kind of comunication error.The Camera seems to have the issue - not the card - go figure.I am sure there are ways around it or maybe I had my configuration wrong because the Bravia LCD has no problem negotiating.But I did everything I know to do for two days and failed - so for those hoping to do uncompressed HDMI capture please let me know your experiences but form my side - it only works using the analog output.

Last edited by Henry Olonga; April 8th, 2009 at 06:58 AM.
Henry Olonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Henry, how did you manage to get the HDMI to plug into your computer to capture via cineform? I have only seen HDMI outputs on computers, and only the new ATI cards even export the sound with the HDMI.
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Bradley

HDMI capture card.There are a few options in the market.The simplest and cheapest I am aware of and use is a Blackmagic design intensity card.I will have a tutorial up on my vimeo channel in the next few days that maps out what is needed to get it to work on a laptop. You need to be prepared to pay above perhaps 1800 pounds so it may be for semi pros.The other option of course is to install it in a small Desktop and deal with portable power issues.If you want broadcast quality this is the indie way.I share insight in these two posts.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...op-laptop.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...quirement.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders